Type of Revision to have

marcia7749
on 5/22/09 7:15 am
Hi All,

I had an RNY in 1984, lost 100 lbs....kept it off 10 years....and gradually gained it all back.

I am now 250 lbs and looking into a revision.  And...I am not sure what way to go.

I am really interested in hearing from others as to which way they would suggest..... and the

success I can hopefully expect.....

Thank You,

Marcia
Karen B.
on 5/22/09 8:18 am - Georgetown, DE
I had an RNY in 2002 and lost 120 lbs.  I'm 5'9 and got down to my lowest weight of 179 (for a minute).  I gained back and settled in at around 190 -195 for several years.  The past couple of years my weight has been steadily climbing.  I've been able to eat most anything again and in larger portions.   I'd heard about Stomaphyx briefly about a year ago.  A month ago (in a moment of panic when my weight reached 230), I contacted a doctor and had it scheduled and done within a matter of weeks.  I'm now one week out from the procedure.

There was no pain and I feel no side effects.  I truly feel as if nothing happened.  My doctor did say to me immediately after surgery that I really didn't need the procedure because my stomach was still small.  I'm going to discuss that with him on my 30 day checkup, since the total cost was about $7000 and he did an Upper GI to check the size of my stomach before scheduling me...  He did say he did what he could to make my stomach as small as possible.

I can't say how well it works yet because I'm on the liquid diet part of the program and keeping my caloric intake at 800 a day.  I;ve lost 15 lbs and have been able to stick to the liquid diet without feeling hungry (but I've suffered from head-hunger sometimes).  I was told to start eating mushy foods today.  I've tried some and I'm affraid.  It doesn't feel any differernt.  I'm suppose to only eat 1/4 cup for a meal.  I eat about 1/3 cup but still don't feel full.  I'm not hungry but my issues were always with needing to feel full.  This is starting to feel like a diet - and I was never good at that...

For now I think I'm going to stay on the liquid diet for a while longer ****il I crack! LOL!).  The whole point in limiting meals to 1/4 cup is to allow time for the stomach to "heal" to the new smaller size.  I fear that if I eat more, I will "break the clips" that are holding my stomach to the small size and I will have wasted my $7000! 

Right now it feels pretty much like a diet.  I have to be able to stay on this "diet" for 45 days to allow for my stomach to heal.  After that, I'm sure I'll test it to see what it will hold but I'm thinking that since he said my stomach was already small before the procedute, it will hold about the same as before - and I'll be right back in the same boat I was in.  I can only hope that in some way this will give me the incentive I need to make better choices in the foods I eat (like no more chocolate........)

marcia7749
on 5/22/09 9:35 am
Karen,

Thank you for the response to my posting,

I am so excited for you, hoping that all is a success for you,

I researched the stomaphyx and decided that I didn't think it would really help....worried that the staples or clips would come loose and be a waster of time.

I think you have the right idea of staying on liquids to really really let things heal......

I wish you the very best....

Keep us posted.

Marcia
reenieb
on 5/26/09 1:26 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Oh, Karen, I'm so sorry you opted for the Stomaphyx. Research confirms this procedure does not work but doctors are making a fortune off of people who are paying out-of-pocket in the desperate hope of turning the weight regain around. You sound as if you have very good self-resolve, however. You are your own best friend and health advocate right now. As you begin to start eating foods again, be very vigilent and very conscious of what you are eating - and why. Healthy food choices in small portions to start. This isn't so much about the Stomphyx procedure (I call it the Stomaphail) - it's more about you changing your relationship and approach to food. This is the hard, hard, hard stuff that we must tackle every single day of our lives. Eat to live, do not live to eat. Move your body in a fun and vigorous way every day. Do these two things and you will be fine. I wish you nothing but the best as you continue on your journey. Mauren
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/09 4:07 am - San Diego, CA
Hi Karen,

I had my RNY in 2002. 

Highest weight - 259
Post RNY - 145 (maintained for 6 years)
Current Weight - 186
Goal Weight - 130

After several weeks of researching revisions, I have decided to have a lap-band placed over my RNY.  I like the idea of being able to adjust the band to enhance the restriction or release some of the restriction as needed to assist in obtaining and maintaining my weight loss goals.  There are a couple of other invasive procedures i highly considered (sleeve & duodenal switch) but I am not a good candidate for rearranging any of my organs anymore per my original RNY surgeon.  I also researched ROSE and Stomaphyx but found nothing really solid indicating it was successful short term or long term and did not want to spend the money to find out.

Anyhow, my surgery is set for 5/28/09.  Check in with me and I will be sure to keep you updated on how things went pre-and-post-op.

Good luck with your decision! :)
marcia7749
on 5/23/09 5:15 am
Hi Lisa,

I am excited to hear that you will be having your revision soon, and anxious to see what you think after having the lap band added to your RNY.......

This is exactly what I have been thinking of doing.....but not sure yet what the surgeon will recommend.

Can you share with me why you feel that you have gained back some of your weight and why you think that the lap band will help you?

I am so worried that a revision may not solve my weight gain......

My RNY was done so many years ago.....the RNY procedures these days are much, much more restrictive.....so I am not sure what will be recommended.

I know that I will not consider the Stomaphyx or the Rose or Schleratherapy.....I thoroughly researched these procedures and have decided that they are not for me.

Thank you so much for your thoughts....!!!!

Marcia
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/09 6:38 am - San Diego, CA
Sure!  I sent you a personal message. :)
reenieb
on 5/26/09 1:27 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Best of luck, Lisa, I'm so happy for you that you decided against the Rose procedure! Will be looking forward to your (always positive) updates. Best, Maureen
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/09 4:28 am - San Diego, CA
Thanks Maureen!  I researched till I was blue in the face and decided that the band-over-RNY was the way to go for me personally.  I look forward to providing updates to the revision board!!

marcia7749
on 5/26/09 5:32 am
Lisa,

Only 2 more days till your revision!!!

I am soooo excited for you....

I am in holding pattern until I meet with the surgeon and find out my options.....

I will be anxiously waiting to see you posting again after your surgery.....

My prayers are in your corner.....

Marcia
Most Active