I need to know what to expect-going from Lapband to RNY

msubb
on 5/19/09 1:17 pm - mesquite, TX
Hello all, my name is Michele and on 05-26-09 I  will have a revision from the lapband (which i hate) to RNY. Although i am super excited about having the band out, i must confess that I am super nervous about the RNY. For all of you that has had this type of revision can you please let me know what to expect,. such as hosp stay, will it be done lap or open since they have to remove the band first,complications or anything else that maybe helpful. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and God bless.

Lizparks
on 5/19/09 2:09 pm - HACKENSACK, NJ
Is insurance covering your revision? I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow to discuss going from the band to RNY I am nervous as well but I have to do something, 
msubb
on 5/20/09 11:48 am - mesquite, TX
Liz,. yes my insurance is covering my surgery. But it was not submitted as a revision,just a predetermination for the RNY and I was approved after a second psych eval.

Lizparks
on 5/20/09 12:20 pm - HACKENSACK, NJ
I was very upset to learn today that I have to do a 6 month supervised diet before I can gt an approval.  I am especially upset because I have been seeing my Dr monthly to complain about my band, so I feel like I have just wasted time.  I have a tentative date of 11/23 pending insurance approval. 
msubb
on 5/20/09 1:50 pm - mesquite, TX
I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment today. One would think that if a person has the band and there has not been any results that would be cause to waive the 6 months diet history,but most insurance co will use that as a way not to pay for surgery because they are banking on you not following thru with the 6 months supervised diet. If your surgery is 11/23 then you have enough time to complete your 6 months supervised diet. Make sure that your pcp document your  visits well and everything that you are doing to lose weight.
even though i had a band, my pcp put me on Adipex and Xenical cause i was not losing weight anymore as a matter of fact i had gained all my weight back plus some.
i had my band put in in 2004 also and i may have gotten 21/2 years out it, only losing  60-70 pds or so. Then the relux started. and each time i  got a fill,. i had to get unfilled  the next couple of days because of the tremedous pain. I was even hospitalized twice with pneumonia because of my band due to fluid gathering, it also caused me to have an enlaged esopogus. I know how you feel as far as the band is concerned. but just start the 6 months diet,. also see if your doc can get you a rx for Adipex of xenical or you can buy Alli over the counter.It will prove at the end of your 6 months that you have been unsuccessful in your weight lose efforts. it worked for me so hopefully it will work for you. Just hang in there and do not give up, 11-23 will come before you know it and you will be on the losing side once again.
Myrna A.
on 5/21/09 6:59 am - Ferris, TX
Liz, that must be very disappointing. What insurance co. do you have? Are they aware it's a revision? Sometimes you REALLY have to stress that fact. Maybe you can call them directly to see how it was submitted.
Good Luck!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/09 1:54 am - AZ
On May 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM Pacific Time, msubb wrote:
Hello all, my name is Michele and on 05-26-09 I  will have a revision from the lapband (which i hate) to RNY. Although i am super excited about having the band out, i must confess that I am super nervous about the RNY. For all of you that has had this type of revision can you please let me know what to expect,. such as hosp stay, will it be done lap or open since they have to remove the band first,complications or anything else that maybe helpful. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and God bless.

I can't believe how many band to sleeve, band to RNY, and band to DS folks there are out there.  The number is growing pretty darn fast.

I went from band to sleeve so it's not the same but I can tell you that the worst part for me was where my port was.  That hurt like a buggar.

You'll feel so much better when you get that parasite of a band out of you.  Make sure you tell them to save your band for you.  Seriously, I have mine in a baggy. ;o)  We are planning a "KILL The Band" party in real time.  You can join us. ;o)

Myrna A.
on 5/21/09 6:53 am - Ferris, TX
Hello Michelle,
My name is Myrna and I'm hoping to have a band to RNY revision soon.  I'm sooo happy for you!!! I wish for you a successful surgery and speedy recovery!   I'm in the insurance approval process now, and was denied once because no documentation of medical necessity was submitted by the surgeon's insurance person. (DUH)  I have sent more medical records (last Friday) and am still waiting for the Drs ins. lady to inform me if anything else is needed for her to submit. She is VERY SLOW about returning my calls and now I have a call in to her office manager. I hope to hear from someone soon. If I don't by next week I am going to switch surgeons AND file a formal complaint. I'm SOOO frustrated!!! My band surgeon does only lapband. I will be waiting to hear how things go for you, since I hope to get approved soon.
God Bless you as well!
Kathy H.
on 5/21/09 1:55 pm - Kent, WA
I'm sorry you're having such a time with your band. I was recently revised from a VBG (and old stomach stapling) to a DS. I'm wondering if you've given the DS any thought? The RNY is primarily a restrictive surgery, like the band... and like my VBG. There is a little malabsorption with the RNY, but not much.

The DS has superior statistics for long-term weight loss, co-morbidity resolution and ... in my opinion... post-op quality of life. I'm not tryinng to sway you, I just want to make sure you're aware of ALL your options.

I can't answer your question about open/lap or complications. I would think it would depend greatly on whether or not the band has been in place long enough to be embedded.

Best of luck on your continued journey!

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Lori M.
on 5/25/09 10:50 am, edited 5/25/09 10:52 am - West Babylon, NY
Had my band out  and waited a year by choice to have RNY. RNY was done  3/18/09. Feel good about it beacuse it feels like starting over. New surgeon has been so wonderful  helped me through this process. see my profile for more info.I had open RNY and am fine now.Get in touch if you need more info.
Lori
Most Active