Questions about Revision Options - LapBand to ?

Kathy H.
on 5/21/09 2:12 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, Lizzie.

My original surgery was not a lap band, but it was similar to a lap band ... a VBG (the old stomach stapling - my original surgery was 23 years ago). I recognized myself in your story, because I couldn't keep anything "good" down.

I was just recently revised to the DS. My insurance covered the cost because like you it was deemed that my original surgery failed. In your case, it would be for "mechanical" reasons.

The word of caution I would give you is this: be aware that if you're not talking to a "real" DS surgeon, you're likely to get lots of inaccurate information about the DS. When I went looking for my options, I was told ... by a non-DS surgeon... that if I had the DS I'd need to carry a second pair of underwear around with me for the rest of my life. I educated myself about the DS (the thought of the RNY did not appeal to me), and then went about finding a qualified DS revision surgeon.

I had to travel in order to get the DS, but I did NOT want to spend the rest of my life with another pouch ... you might know what I mean when I say that.

The best of luck to you in your research. Please drop in on the DS board and ask a bunch of questions.... if you haven't already done so.

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

LizzieNJ
on 5/21/09 11:11 pm
Thanks Kathy!

275/252/222/175
Consult/Pre-op/Current/Goal
AP Small 10cc Band   
Surgery Date May 20, 2008
1. First Fill - July 7, 08 - 2cc fill
2. Second Fill - August 6, 08 - 2cc fill (Total 4 ccs)
3. Complete Unfill - November 3rd, 2008
4. Third Fill - November 17th, 2008 - 2 ccs
5. Complete Unfill - March 9th, 2009 - Band Slip
6. Recheck - April 1st, 2009 - Still Slipped
7. Recheck - May 18th, 2009 - Still Slipped
8. Met with Surgeon - May 20th, 2009 Scheduled to have Band Slip fixed

Kathy H.
on 5/22/09 3:28 am - Kent, WA
Sure, Lizzie. In fact... I just noticed you're in Southern New Jersey. I was just in the Willingboro area for my revision. You have one of the top revision surgeons in the country right in your back yard.

David F. Greenbaum M.D.
1000 Salem Road
Suite A
Willingboro, NJ 08046
Phone: (609) 877-1737

http://www.duodenalswitchdoc.com/

Best of luck!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Most Active