Anyone had luck WITHOUT revision?

longroad
on 5/18/09 10:27 am - Gloucester, MA
 I can see why you were a writer -- I hope you go back to it. You're a talented chick. ;-) 

I think you're right on about passionate living. About 90% of my weight regain was due to a bunch of disappointments in my life that caused me to turn inward instead of enjoying life outside my head. I think also the more weight I gained the more I avoided interacting with the outside world, because I was guilty and ashamed and feel so out of place among the ubiquitous happy 'normals.' 

I know no one is truly 'normal,' but my weight is the first thing people see when they meet me. I'll always have to watch myself around food, but I just know that I need to think that some day I'll be able to enjoy a slize of the dreaded pizza... and then stop.

I'd personally say don't worry about the regain as long as you start working on it now. I wish I'd had gastric bypass at 250 lbs instead of 415, and I wish I'd decided to go back on track at 300 instead of 344. In the same vein as 'a penny saved is a penny earned,' just deciding to change your habits now is already a success. And at 20 lbs overweight, you can afford to make small changes and lose weight a little more slowly... or go all hardcore and take care of your problem in no time at all. And like you said, the fact that you're exercising every day is huge. They say that every hour you exercise adds an hour to your life. Imagine!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I really do hope you continue writing -- even if it's to say that 'normal' in America is struggling a bit with one's weight...

Cassandra77
on 5/17/09 6:25 am - Sacramento, CA
I tried medi-fast when I was in the same position as you.  I actually tried a lot of stuff, but Medi-fast was one.  Once you get adjusted to the taste of the food, it's ok.  And yeah you do lose on it. But just like midwesterngirl said...as soon as you stop you will gain.  I think Medi-fast is meant to be done veerrrryyy long term.

It was kind of a catch 22 for me.  I did want to make sure I tried everything possible before seeking out a revision.  But I ended up in the yo-yo diet mode which essentially made me gain even more weight...and now I'm only 20 pounds from where I was when I initially had RNY. 

So just be aware of that as you're trying.
franksgirl
on 5/17/09 11:09 am - Arlington, TX
I am new to this site and to weight loss surgery overall. I am thinking about having surgery in several months and I am doing some research. I can not say that these posts do not scare me. I am on the yo-ya diet curcuit myself right now without surgery! I surely don't want to experience it after I pay all that money and go to all that effort! Calm my anxieties!
Felicia
longroad
on 5/18/09 10:40 am - Gloucester, MA
 I can't calm your anxieties. Since I'm in my 20's, I hoped that I'd be one of the lucky few who lost weight relatively effortlessly and quickly... but it didn't end up that way for me. I had a few setbacks, like a serious injury that got me out of my exercise habit when I couldn't do it for 6 weeks... first getting cut back hours and my job and then getting laid off recently, meaning I couldn't afford the organic healthy food that my body likes... but the basic thing is that I didn't follow the rules. I ate lots of fat, carbs, and sugar and gained weight back. I'm not a victim of anything -- every single pizza was a decision that I made partly because I was frustrated about how far I had to go.

One thing I will say, though, is that since the surgery it's been easy for me to lose weight when I *do* eat right. I don't get the same horrible hunger pains or gnawing that I did when I dieted before. And I will never binge eat like I used to again, which I am so thankful for. So for my entire life, I will have this tool that helps me when I need it most. I am sure that if you go into the project determined to do your best, you'll have great success.
Beverly B.
on 5/17/09 1:05 pm
I had my original RNY in July 03.  Lost 170 lbs within the first two years (approx).  At that point, the *chart* thought someone at my height should have *still* been 80-100 lbs less.  I would've been thrilled wih a 30lb loss.  But I started realizing I was eating *way* more than I should have been able to.  Turns out I had a gastro-gastric fistula.  I will freely admit I went back to my pre-surgery behaviors and diet.  I ended up regaining 80 lbs over the next 2-3 years.  I had my revision 4/22/09.  I was almost looking forward to not thinkng about food.  I remembered the first year post-surgery was pretty unpleasant - but the results were great.  Well - let me tell you - post-op from this revision is *nothing* like the first time.  I've lost 25 lbs - but the last five were tough.  My appetite is back - but I am using the tools I learned before the first surgery (fitday.com, exercise, mindful eating).  I feel incredible blessed to have this second chance - and I will *not* screw it up.   Wish me luck - and best of luck to everyone out there!!
JRinAZ
on 5/18/09 3:00 am - Layton, UT
On May 17, 2009 at 8:05 PM Pacific Time, Beverly B. wrote:
I had my original RNY in July 03.  Lost 170 lbs within the first two years (approx).  At that point, the *chart* thought someone at my height should have *still* been 80-100 lbs less.  I would've been thrilled wih a 30lb loss.  But I started realizing I was eating *way* more than I should have been able to.  Turns out I had a gastro-gastric fistula.  I will freely admit I went back to my pre-surgery behaviors and diet.  I ended up regaining 80 lbs over the next 2-3 years.  I had my revision 4/22/09.  I was almost looking forward to not thinkng about food.  I remembered the first year post-surgery was pretty unpleasant - but the results were great.  Well - let me tell you - post-op from this revision is *nothing* like the first time.  I've lost 25 lbs - but the last five were tough.  My appetite is back - but I am using the tools I learned before the first surgery (fitday.com, exercise, mindful eating).  I feel incredible blessed to have this second chance - and I will *not* screw it up.   Wish me luck - and best of luck to everyone out there!!
Congrats!  That's a fabulous weight loss is a fast hurry!!!  ..... Mindful eating is indeed the ticket!!!  There are many contributors to success and our individual "tools" is certainly a big piece to the equation BUT....I swear that the mindful approach has been my main stay!  I have a mantra:  fail to plan and plan to fail!  I plan with lists, menus, journals, etc.  If it's in black and white (or on my puter:-) then it's much more likely to happen!

Keep us posted and High Fives!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Zee Starrlite
on 5/18/09 7:17 am
Okay, YOU have to be willing to make the changes necessary to get and keep the weight off.  You can't have a revision every time you gain your weight back due to being non-compliant - you said you still fill up good and quickly if you eat healthier protein foods etc.  Why not do that instead of sticking your strawberries in brown sugar?  If you expect to have a revision and then continue to eat bread, pizza and whatever else you like, when you like, and how much you like, you will just keep exceeding your starting pre-op weight.  Why not?  No surgery, not even the beautiful DS will NOT do All the work for you. Do you exercise?

Why would you think that WLS would make you normal?  We will never be "normal" when it comes to food.  Besides that fit and thin people are always working on it, why wouldn't we need to?  Fit and thin people make mindful food choices, they move about and exercise more. 

I know some people claim they are obese because metabolic system errors,  some people claim to eat very little - I was watching the half ton mom and she believed that she had a flat stomach, a little waist, and ate very little - sometimes even forgetting to eat.  Everyone around her told a much, much different story.  Who's kidding who?  No free rides in this game.  It is time to work your a$$ off to get where you need to be.  Use your tool - it works with healthy foods right?  Just do it.

I wish you the very best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 11:31 pm - Menomonee Falls, WI
Do you know the spacifics of your surgery?  Your pouch and stoma must be ok if you feel some fullness.  Maybe you could be extended if you have a short bypass?  I know mine was 100 cm from the pouch to the intestine which gives me no malabsorption (no supplements and high lab results).  Daisy
Most Active