low protein

weightwatcher07
on 4/10/09 3:39 pm - Dallas, TX
My protein and albumin is low. I have been drinking bullets and protein shakes how long does it take before the protein gets back in my system. My body is swollen from my toes to my stomach. I have been to the doctor and emergency room.

Please let me know who has had low protein and what happened.

Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/09 12:57 am - AZ
On April 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM Pacific Time, weigh****cher07 wrote:
My protein and albumin is low. I have been drinking bullets and protein shakes how long does it take before the protein gets back in my system. My body is swollen from my toes to my stomach. I have been to the doctor and emergency room.

Thanks

The bullets are a very poor protein source.  Extremely poor.  I tried to tell my friend this and she wouldn't listen.  She ended up in ER with all kinds of problems and her doc told her the same thing, not to use the bullets.  She started using quality protein products and quickly noticed a drastic difference.  Within a couple of weeks.

mew6495
on 4/12/09 12:29 am - MI
On April 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

Thanks

The bullets are a very poor protein source.  Extremely poor.  I tried to tell my friend this and she wouldn't listen.  She ended up in ER with all kinds of problems and her doc told her the same thing, not to use the bullets.  She started using quality protein products and quickly noticed a drastic difference.  Within a couple of weeks.

Hi Midwesterngirl,

You state that the protein bullets are a very poor source of protein.  Can you share a bit more of your background on this?  I am interested because these are what I am depending on to help with my low protein levels and so far they have been very beneficial for me.  Why do you state they are a poor source of protein?  I would be very interested in seeing the studies you uncovered about this.  I appreciate your feedback.

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/09 12:53 am - AZ
On April 12, 2009 at 7:29 AM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:

Thanks

Hi Midwesterngirl,

You state that the protein bullets are a very poor source of protein.  Can you share a bit more of your background on this?  I am interested because these are what I am depending on to help with my low protein levels and so far they have been very beneficial for me.  Why do you state they are a poor source of protein?  I would be very interested in seeing the studies you uncovered about this.  I appreciate your feedback.

About a year ago I was offered a job as the medical sales manager for Syntrax, makers of Nectar, Matrix 5.0, etc.  I did some mega research on protein products before deciding if I wanted to accept the job or not.  I did not take the job but not because the products are not good, I just didn't want to do sales of any type.  I wanted to stay in my own profession.

Because of all that research I discovered quite a bit.

The ASBP does not endorse the use of these products.

The FDA did a study on a group of people that died doing a liquid protein diet.  Of the people that died the one issue they had in common was using collagen protein.  They found that collagen protein pulled from protein stores instead of adding to them.  Keep in mind, collagen is extracted from horse/cow skin by boiling it as well as joint tissue.  Animal muscle and whey are great sources of protein, collagen is not a great source of protein.

Unjury sent New Whey brand as well as the other brands of shots, shooters, and bullets to a neutral 3rd party source for testing.  Protein quality is rated on a scale from 0-100.  The products you are using ranged on a scale from 4-8 while Unjury, Matrix 5.0, and Isopure were between 80-100.  The products in the 80 range were the flavored products vs. unflavored.

I no longer have the links to the studies but you can google FDA/collagen deaths for their study and you can contact Unjury for their study.

There are a million protein product manufacturers.  Since it is a supplement and not a drug they do not have to follow FDA guidelines.  Anyone can make protein and call it anything they want, they can make any claims they wish.  It doesn't have to be accurate.  I recall a product that Lucky can tell you about that was being sold and everyone LOVED it!  They weren't losing well but they loved it.  Turns out it was cake batter, nothing they were advertising was true.  That's just one example.

Some companies do independent 3rd party testing of all their raw materials they get in monthly.  Whey is not the same quality month to month and the only way to know if it is any good is testing.  If the whey is not of good quality it is returned.  Most protein companies do not do this testing as it is quite expensive.  If a company does not test their raw materials then one month they might have a good quality protein but the next month the quality might be really bad.  They have no idea.  The three companies I found that DO this testing by a neutral 3rd party source are Syntrax (Nectar, Matrix 5.0, etc), Unjury, and Isopure.  I'm sure there are others I just don't know who they are.  It's quite an ordeal to research and verify this information and after I found a product I liked I quit researching companies.

I researched the 3rd party testing because when I was losing weight I was banded and I'd go for a week without being able to get anything down but liquids and the next week I could eat steak without chewing well.  (Bands suck)  Since I did go for extended periods of time without being able to eat solid protein I really needed to find quality protein sources.

I would not use the bullets, the quality is not good, they are expensive, and there are better sources of protein that are far more affordable.  I'd stick with the shakes you are using vs. the bullets of your lab values are not great.

mew6495
on 4/12/09 1:50 am - MI
On April 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

Thanks

Hi Midwesterngirl,

About a year ago I was offered a job as the medical sales manager for Syntrax, makers of Nectar, Matrix 5.0, etc.  I did some mega research on protein products before deciding if I wanted to accept the job or not.  I did not take the job but not because the products are not good, I just didn't want to do sales of any type.  I wanted to stay in my own profession.

The FDA did a study on a group of people that died doing a liquid protein diet.  Of the people that died the one issue they had in common was using collagen protein.  They found that collagen protein pulled from protein stores instead of adding to them.  Keep in mind, collagen is extracted from horse/cow skin by boiling it as well as joint tissue.  Animal muscle and whey are great sources of protein, collagen is not a great source of protein.

Unjury sent New Whey brand as well as the other brands of shots, shooters, and bullets to a neutral 3rd party source for testing.  Protein quality is rated on a scale from 0-100.  The products you are using ranged on a scale from 4-8 while Unjury, Matrix 5.0, and Isopure were between 80-100.  The products in the 80 range were the flavored products vs. unflavored.

I no longer have the links to the studies but you can google FDA/collagen deaths for their study and you can contact Unjury for their study.

There are a million protein product manufacturers.  Since it is a supplement and not a drug they do not have to follow FDA guidelines.  Anyone can make protein and call it anything they want, they can make any claims they wish.  It doesn't have to be accurate.  I recall a product that Lucky can tell you about that was being sold and everyone LOVED it!  They weren't losing well but they loved it.  Turns out it was cake batter, nothing they were advertising was true.  That's just one example.

Some companies do independent 3rd party testing of all their raw materials they get in monthly.  Whey is not the same quality month to month and the only way to know if it is any good is testing.  If the whey is not of good quality it is returned.  Most protein companies do not do this testing as it is quite expensive.  If a company does not test their raw materials then one month they might have a good quality protein but the next month the quality might be really bad.  They have no idea.  The three companies I found that DO this testing by a neutral 3rd party source are Syntrax (Nectar, Matrix 5.0, etc), Unjury, and Isopure.  I'm sure there are others I just don't know who they are.  It's quite an ordeal to research and verify this information and after I found a product I liked I quit researching companies.

I researched the 3rd party testing because when I was losing weight I was banded and I'd go for a week without being able to get anything down but liquids and the next week I could eat steak without chewing well.  (Bands suck)  Since I did go for extended periods of time without being able to eat solid protein I really needed to find quality protein sources.

I would not use the bullets, the quality is not good, they are expensive, and there are better sources of protein that are far more affordable.  I'd stick with the shakes you are using vs. the bullets of your lab values are not great.

Thanks MTW...very useful information indeed!  You mention you found a product you really like.  Can you tell me what the name is?  

My problem is I don't like the protein shakes that well and I also have very limited time so making them can be a challenge.  I have been searching for a product, like the form of the bullet etc, that I can take on the go and it is quick.  I travel a lot...  Do you know of any of these types of products out there?

Thanks again for your help!

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/09 2:35 am - AZ
On April 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
On April 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

Thanks

Hi Midwesterngirl,

Thanks MTW...very useful information indeed!  You mention you found a product you really like.  Can you tell me what the name is?  

My problem is I don't like the protein shakes that well and I also have very limited time so making them can be a challenge.  I have been searching for a product, like the form of the bullet etc, that I can take on the go and it is quick.  I travel a lot...  Do you know of any of these types of products out there?

Thanks again for your help!

At the time I was researching I was using Matrix 5.0 by Syntrax but they change to Splenda for a sweetener and I don't care for that.  The aspartame killed the whey flavor, Splenda does not. Gahhh...

Today I use Whey Gourmet Choco/Peanut butter.  It's a powder but you can mix it with water.  Just get a bottle of water, drink all but 6oz, add a scoop, shake, drink.  Great stuff.  If you want to bump up calcium or protein add powdered milk.  I just use water.  I have not verified if they do 3rd party testing.

www6.netrition.com/pvl_whey_gourmet.html

I used to travel quite a bit but not anymore.  I did it that way, the powder is lighter and easier to carry around.

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/09 12:59 am - AZ

Thanks

Hi Midwesterngirl,

BTW... New Whey does have some whey, but it has MORE collegen than whey so the label is indeed, misleading.  However, it's a supplement thus not regulated by the FDA.

mew6495
on 4/12/09 12:23 am - MI
 I also suffered from low protein.  I had swelling of in the feet and ankles as well.  My protein levels just hit the normal range for the first time in over a year.  I started with the protein bullets and/or whey shots (same thing just a different manufacturer) daily about ~2 to 3 months ago and they worked for me.  

I initially tried proteinex.  Can only be bought on line, but I could not tolerate the taste.  Sent me to the bathroom with heaves.  This is a predigested protein which is suppose to be very good absorption.  

My PCP says that the best source of protein for bariatrics is chicken and fish.  

In this thread, is the first time I am hearing that the bullets are not good.    Perhaps this to differs by the individual.  For me I attribute my normal levels to the bullets.

weightwatcher07
on 4/12/09 3:45 am - Dallas, TX
What about muscle milk? I bought a ready to drink and it was really good.
Most Active