After DS...The Grehlin Hormone Question????

JROLFSON
on 4/9/09 5:19 am - St. George, UT
MWG:

How was your recovery with the sleeve? Are you at goal? Do you feel energetic?

Prilosec, huh? I wonder why that is? I know about how food fixes things, but with me it's not because I'm hungry, it's more because my head thinks I should be putting something in my mouth all the time...Shame, Shame, on me...

Janie
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/09 5:49 am - AZ
On April 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
MWG:

Prilosec, huh? I wonder why that is? I know about how food fixes things, but with me it's not because I'm hungry, it's more because my head thinks I should be putting something in my mouth all the time...Shame, Shame, on me...

Janie

It was a little harder than with the band but not bad really.  I drove home a few days after surgery (3.5 hour drive) and it was no big deal.  I was sore, that's about it.

I was at goal when I had the revision.  I was at 125# (BMI 20.8) and now I weigh 120# 20BMI.

I have my grazing days too but when I do I just eat foods that are low calorie and it's not been a problem for me.   Head hunger is a bear!

Yes, I have lots of energy, certainly a lot more than I did with the band.  The band was a horror.  I never want to live that way again.  The newbies on the band board get their feathers ruffled when someone asks my opinion of the band and I answer them, ;o) but that isn't going to stop me from telling the truth.

A lot of people are getting revisions from band to sleeve and we are seriously planning a "Kill the band" party.  We are all going to try and figure out how to kill the band so it cannot spread its evil to others. ;o)

pepsi98
on 4/11/09 4:33 am - Norwich, CT
On April 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
MWG:

Janie

It was a little harder than with the band but not bad really.  I drove home a few days after surgery (3.5 hour drive) and it was no big deal.  I was sore, that's about it.

I was at goal when I had the revision.  I was at 125# (BMI 20.8) and now I weigh 120# 20BMI.

I have my grazing days too but when I do I just eat foods that are low calorie and it's not been a problem for me.   Head hunger is a bear!

Yes, I have lots of energy, certainly a lot more than I did with the band.  The band was a horror.  I never want to live that way again.  The newbies on the band board get their feathers ruffled when someone asks my opinion of the band and I answer them, ;o) but that isn't going to stop me from telling the truth.

A lot of people are getting revisions from band to sleeve and we are seriously planning a "Kill the band" party.  We are all going to try and figure out how to kill the band so it cannot spread its evil to others. ;o)

But, MWG, it was the band that got you to goal, so for that it seems it was good for you, even though it wasn't a smooth ride.  Actually, I'm not sure ANY WLS is a smooth ride.  We still have to make the right choices and deal with all the other "issues" that surround our eating patterns and beliefs.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/09 5:10 am - AZ
On April 11, 2009 at 11:33 AM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
On April 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
MWG:

Janie

But, MWG, it was the band that got you to goal, so for that it seems it was good for you, even though it wasn't a smooth ride.  Actually, I'm not sure ANY WLS is a smooth ride.  We still have to make the right choices and deal with all the other "issues" that surround our eating patterns and beliefs.

The band was not responsible for my weight loss, I was.  I kept my band under filled or unfilled the vast majority of my banded life.  It was sheer determination that I got the weight off but I knew I could never keep it off on my own so I revised to a sleeve.

The band affected my health severely.  I spent the last four months on liquids because nothing solid would go through my (unfilled) band and I was already at goal when the mega issues kicked in.  I still have esophageal damage from it.  Had I not revised when I did I would not have been a good surgical risk due to health issues.

Ms Shell
on 4/9/09 8:55 am - Hawthorne, CA

Hello Janie,

I'm a VSGer who can attest to the low/no grehlin.  I actually felt rejoiced after surgery because what was leading my hunger seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth.  Before surgery and after surgery, for me, has been like night and day.  I didn't realize how hungry I was until I wasn't.  I am now 16 months out from my VSG and I still don't get hungry.  I eat on a schedule.  NOW I will say that like MWG says "head hunger is a bear" cause there are times especially when I'm bored that I want to shove something into my face.  I am overcoming this. 

I am curious since part of your problem is the eating habit if you have gone or are going to any type of eating therapist?

I wish you all the best with your revision, but if the DS is what you want why don't you fight and appeal for it or is that totally out the question?

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

LosingSally
on 4/10/09 4:12 am
I have read studies that say ghrelin is reduced even by RNY, and certainly by DS. Look up the harmone on the internet, and you'll find several sources about it.
DrHusted
on 4/10/09 6:43 am - Phoenix, AZ
Sorry to be away so long. Ghrelin is reduced in both RNY and in DS. The reduction in Ghrelin from RNY, and to a certain degree in DS, is a result of bypassing the duodenum. An additional reduction in DS occurs due to the portion of stomach that is removed in the vertigal/sleeve portion of the DS. A fair amount of ghrelin is produced in the portion of stomach that is removed from the body.

John D Husted, MD
Dr. John Husted

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines.  Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!
JROLFSON
on 4/10/09 8:04 am, edited 4/10/09 8:38 am - St. George, UT
Thank you Dr. Husted and Losing Sal...That is so interesting because I didn't think Grehlin was reduced in RNY patients. Maybe that explains why I'm not really ever hungry....I eat more out of habit, not out of hunger.

Thank you both for your input.  Do you hear that RNY'ers we have Grehlin reduction too! I've done a lot of research and have never come across that information before. Sal your a smart one!

Janie
pepsi98
on 4/11/09 4:35 am - Norwich, CT
On April 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM Pacific Time, DrHusted wrote:
Sorry to be away so long. Ghrelin is reduced in both RNY and in DS. The reduction in Ghrelin from RNY, and to a certain degree in DS, is a result of bypassing the duodenum. An additional reduction in DS occurs due to the portion of stomach that is removed in the vertigal/sleeve portion of the DS. A fair amount of ghrelin is produced in the portion of stomach that is removed from the body.

John D Husted, MD
Dr. Husted,
I just wanted to say how wonderful I think you and Dr. Curry are to give of your time and advice so freely!!  That, to me, shows a generous spirit!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active