After DS...The Grehlin Hormone Question????

Deanne K.
on 4/10/09 4:21 am - Tucson, AZ
Janie,
Congratulations on getting approved.  It's really great.  Jen will give you a date real soon.  Start to increase your protein now, to be ready for the big surgery.  Let me know the date.  I may be in Phoenix then.
Deanne 
JROLFSON
on 4/10/09 8:32 am - St. George, UT
Thanks Deanne:

We're looking at May 13th...I would love the opportunity to meet you in Phoenix.

Janie
Deanne K.
on 4/10/09 8:50 am - Tucson, AZ
Janie,
Same day as my fix.  I'm at 7:30 am.
JROLFSON
on 4/12/09 11:53 pm - St. George, UT
Hey Deanne:

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to change my date to the 20th. There's a bunch of stuff going on in our family for end of school year so, It will work out much better for me the 20th. Maybe you'll need to come in to see the Dr. for follow up or something.

I would love to meet you!

Look forward to it.

Janie
JROLFSON
on 4/10/09 8:27 am - St. George, UT
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/09 11:28 pm - AZ
On April 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
My topic is this:  Grehlin Hormone.....I'm not sure how this works??? But, I've heard after revising to DS, or just receiving a DS, and shame on me I don't know more about this, as of yet...How is your body or stomach affected by less Grehlin...Is the Grehlin Factor for real, or is it not fully proven? How does it work?

Dr. Husted are you out there? This might be a good question for you....as well as any others who want to fill us in....

Thank you,

Janie

Sleeved people have the same Ghrelin benefit as DSers.  I have experienced hunger 2-3 times since I was sleeved 10 months ago.

I have read two studies that suggest obese people tend to produce 3x as much Ghrelin as naturally thin people.  I don't know how accurate that is as I recall questioning their methods as I was reading the studies.

JROLFSON
on 4/9/09 12:17 am - St. George, UT
Hi MWG:

Yes, I've heard that. So you hardly ever get hungry then. Wow, that's great. Do you experience eating as Diana does, that is, do you feel satisfied after eating? Do you also go after proteins rather than carbs because they are more attractive to you, than carbs?

This is all so interesting to me, and trully makes you take a second look at the transection of a portion of the stomach....Very good stuff!!

Janie
PekinSal
on 4/9/09 12:24 am - UK
So when you eat now, as a RNYer, do you feel full up but still hungry? I'm trying to work out what would feel different...

I have found it quite hard in my head to visualise the amount of food I can eat - old habits! I have eaten to the point of feeling uncomfortable, but in reality that was only one chicken breast instead of the four I would have eaten pre-op!

I had to self pay for my DS - I'll be paying for it for another four years! Worth it though, as long as it works and stays worked.

DS revision from failed lapband

JROLFSON
on 4/9/09 5:16 am - St. George, UT
No, I never feel hungry....and yes, I still feel full after just a few bites. My pouch is not the problem, it is my stoma...Everything drops right through. I eat out of habit rather than need. Since I had surgery, I don't believe I've ever had a day where I just felt famished from hunger pains. So all in all my RNY has been a success. I do dump on certain foods such as dairy...Mil**** Cream, lots of chocolate...So I never eat milk or ice cream...Although for some reason I have learned to tolerate chocolate. Have cut way back though. I fill up on soft carbs...Not good, I've been working on proteins only and I find that I'm doing much, much better on my proteins.

I wish I could self pay for a DS, but can't find anyone who would finance nor, take me on payments. And truly I don't have any excess income to make payments. My husband is out of work and I am covering us completely right now. Not in a win, win situation.

As a way to measure how much I can eat, even 20 years post op RNY...At one sitting I can still only eat 6-7 bites of a chicken breast and even less of beef, like steak or a pork chop. It's the grazing that has allowed me to gain weight over the past 5 years. About 10 pounds per year.

Janie
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/09 12:35 am - AZ
On April 9, 2009 at 7:17 AM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Hi MWG:

Yes, I've heard that. So you hardly ever get hungry then. Wow, that's great. Do you experience eating as Diana does, that is, do you feel satisfied after eating? Do you also go after proteins rather than carbs because they are more attractive to you, than carbs?

This is all so interesting to me, and trully makes you take a second look at the transection of a portion of the stomach....Very good stuff!!

Janie

I rarely get hungry.  One thing that does happen is that if I don't take my Prilosec then I get this weird feeling that food fixes and when I was banded I learned to eat when that feeling happens.  It's similar to hunger but not true hunger.  True hunger it is rare.

I think Ghrelin comes back but hopefully not as fierce as it was before surgery.  Even if it does, I don't care.  Six bites and I'm full anyway.

I don't care much for meat so I don't eat much of that.  I prefer veggies.  I do supplement with protein shakes as I don't eat much.  I usually limit white carbs to 20gms daily but I eat unlimited veggie carbs.  If I start eating foods such as bread it starts a carb craving and I just can't quit.  It becomes a cycle that is hard to break so I don't eat foods with flour.  Sugar... I could take it or leave it.  I did go through something where I was eating candy daily.  That's not like me.  But I'm taking huge doses of Vit D for a significant deficiency and I noticed my sweet tooth completely went away.  After that I read that a craving for sweets is typical with low Vit D.  Must be true. ;o)

Most Active