Newbie: Costa Rica RNY revision needed

letsgetwithit
on 3/15/09 3:30 am

Looking for revision. Had RYN 1997 and starting regaining 2 years ago. Put on 20 lbs in 2 years. My insurance doesn't pay for wls.  Anyone have experience with WLS Dr's in Costa Rica?  I have had several very successful PS surgeries  & dental work there, but no exp. with WLS 
Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 6:27 am - AZ
On March 15, 2009 at 10:30 AM Pacific Time, letsgetwithit wrote:

Looking for revision. Had RYN 1997 and starting regaining 2 years ago. Put on 20 lbs in 2 years. My insurance doesn't pay for wls.  Anyone have experience with WLS Dr's in Costa Rica?  I have had several very successful PS surgeries  & dental work there, but no exp. with WLS 
Thanks

I'm not familiar with doctors in Costa Rica but I am with Mexico.

What type of revision are you looking for?  Band after bypass?  ERNY?  DS?

letsgetwithit
on 3/15/09 6:39 am
I'm not sure what I need.  I called my original surgeon who is retired now.  He said I was not a candidate for a lapband over the pouch.  Not sure why.  When my pouch was made in 1997 they were making them about the size of an egg.  They are much smaller now.  I am assuming that mine has streched over time.  I am just starting to try to figure this out. what to do next.
Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 6:56 am - AZ
On March 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM Pacific Time, letsgetwithit wrote:
I'm not sure what I need.  I called my original surgeon who is retired now.  He said I was not a candidate for a lapband over the pouch.  Not sure why.  When my pouch was made in 1997 they were making them about the size of an egg.  They are much smaller now.  I am assuming that mine has streched over time.  I am just starting to try to figure this out. what to do next.
Thanks

I don't know anything about Costa Rica Doctors, just Mexico.

The band is very slow and seems to have fewer complications than someone with banding as their primary surgery.  It's going to be the safest route but maybe not as effective.  I'd ask a revision surgeon about it, someone who has done quite a few of them.  You can actually have your upper GI films scanned and email them to several doctors and get several opinions.

The band doctors that I know of that would be good for a band after procedure would be Aceves in Mexicali or Ortiz in Tijuana.

For DS there is a guy... Dr. U... I can't remember his name.  I know the DS group adores him.

Another option might be ERNY and for that I would see if Aguirre does ERNY.  He's in Ensenada.

Have you confirmed exactly what the problem is?  Or do you suspect it's a dilated pouch/stoma?

letsgetwithit
on 3/15/09 7:06 am
I had an UGI a year ago when I first started gaining weight.  I was considering the Stomaphyx but wanted to wait to see the results.  Glad I did.  It doesn't seem worth the money or trouble.  My UGI didn't show any problems with pouch or stoma, but no remark about the size on the report, just the function was normal.  I live in San Antonio and my husband had lapband a few years ago in Monterrey MX.  His wonderful surgeon was killed by a bandit on the road to his ranch.  I appreciate your suggestions and will take a look at the DS and ERNY groups.  I already have to take B-12 injections every 2 weeks so I am not sure if the DS would make me worse since it allows for more malabsorption.
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 7:17 am - AZ
On March 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM Pacific Time, letsgetwithit wrote:
I had an UGI a year ago when I first started gaining weight.  I was considering the Stomaphyx but wanted to wait to see the results.  Glad I did.  It doesn't seem worth the money or trouble.  My UGI didn't show any problems with pouch or stoma, but no remark about the size on the report, just the function was normal.  I live in San Antonio and my husband had lapband a few years ago in Monterrey MX.  His wonderful surgeon was killed by a bandit on the road to his ranch.  I appreciate your suggestions and will take a look at the DS and ERNY groups.  I already have to take B-12 injections every 2 weeks so I am not sure if the DS would make me worse since it allows for more malabsorption.

I know who you are talking about, Sanchez.

If you just want more restriction then a band might be doable.  If you feel you need more than that then you have other options too.

I'm not really a fan of the band, I haven't seen great results but I have seen a LOT of complications and revisions.  However, it doesn't appear to be too bad with a band over bypass.

I wouldn't rule out a band (if that is what you want****il having several doctors view your films.  Since you already have them can you get them scanned and start emailing them to various doctors?  Get lots of opinions, see what you think would be doable for you.  Actually, that applies regardless of what procedure you are looking for.  I'd send those films to a dozen doctors and get a dozen opinions.

letsgetwithit
on 3/15/09 7:26 am
Yes!  It was Dr. Sanchez.  A sweet man.  A sad day when he was taken.
I am not a big fan of the lapband particularly. My daughter and husband are lapbanded.  Too much maintenance for me and not great results.  I would prefer something else.  I will take your advise and email my UGI report and scan to various docs for their opinion.  Thanks Again!
Most Active