is revision weight loss slower?

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 6:24 am
According to surgeons I have worked with the body does become metabolically stubborn after weight loss surgery. Therfore it does tend to make weight loss the second time around slower, but you do lose.

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 6:25 am
charleston-mom
on 3/19/09 11:50 pm
I had a revision and didn't lose slower. But my revision was from a slipped and eroded lapband. I've lost down to goal in a year and a half. I'm at 106 pounds now.

The statistics are skewed because they include people who are non-compliant and that was the reason they didn't lose with the first surgery. Then if they are not as compliant with the second, the weight loss is slower or non-existent, which is what skews the statistics.

If you follow what you are supposed to be doing, I think you'll lose just like a first time RNY'er. I did.
Monique H.
on 3/20/09 2:03 am
I just wanted to add that for me it is slower, but I pay attention to what I eat and if the scale goes up, which it went up 2 pounds last weekend, I remember what I did different and don't do it anymore. I'm learning my body all over again. I have been kind of discouraged over the weight loss because it seemed to stop once I started eating food and not just drinking. I had lost 22 pounds at a few weeks out with just taking in fluids. Then when I started eating I didn't lose anything for a few weeks then I went back and forth the same five pounds for a couple of weeks. Now this past week on Monday morning I had gone back up to 250, but this morning I weighed in at 246. I'm just mainly eating protein with a few vegetables (normally as a snack) and I'm in the gym every day walking and then taking a water aerobics class. It is not at all coming off like it was with my original rny, but it is coming off.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active