is revision weight loss slower?

jaxmom
on 3/6/09 6:55 am
is the weight loss journey a lot slower the second time around? or do you find its the same? anyone who can share, i would appreciate it.
thanks so much
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/09 10:46 pm - Brampton, Canada
I think it depends on the type of surgery you have.   I first had the VBG (just restriction) back in /87.    I went from 260 down to 113 in about 24 months.

This time I had the Lap-Band  (restriction only too)  and went from 251 down to 124 in twenty months.   Now I fluctuate between a comfortable 118 - 126.  I don't think there are usually any blocks except for mental.
mew6495
on 3/7/09 4:10 am - MI
I have read some articles on this as well as talked to my doctor about it prior to my revision.  Both my doctor and the articles said that in many cases, but not all as everyone is different, you can see a slow down in weight loss the 2nd or 3rd time around.  They attributed it to after having your original wls that the small amounts of food consumed over a long period of time causes your metabolism to slow down to compensate for the changes that were done to the body.  Just another way the body has of adapting to what is done to it.

For myself, I noticed it was a bit slower but then again I had less to loose the 2nd time around.  I have been very pleased with my weight loss to date.  Like the other post mentioned, I think the type of wls you have had originally and choose as a revision can effect it as well.   Like everything else, everyone's body is different and may not react the same even under the same cir****tances.

jaxmom
on 3/7/09 11:17 pm
thanks for the replies... i think, for sure, in my case, my weight loss is a slooooow process right now. while i did not have revision (i will consider it if i do not succeed on my own this time) i have been following the post op diet to a "T" and the scale is barely moving.... but, it IS moving so hopefully it will pick up soon  

have a happy day

cari

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Carolyn S.
on 3/12/09 6:06 am - Scipio Center, NY
hi I have not had my revision surgery yet, but I did have the gastric bypass back in 1980's and did very well on it. I think that if your still losing then it doesn't really matter how fast does it? If you lose it slower then your skin has time to shrink as well and that may not be a bad thing. How far out are you from surgery? It is my own personal opinion that if you lose it slower then your bosy will get used to it and you will be healthier. If you really want to push then do more exersizes, or something that won't cause you harm. Talk to your doctor about this he/she is the best one because they know your body and surgery. i know I would panic when I would hit a plataue but then it seemed when my body caught up I would start to lose again. worrying about it has to be bad emotionally for you.
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/09 1:36 pm - Togo
exercise. get in the pool and swim, swim, swim. that will get you moving again.

JROLFSON
on 3/12/09 7:35 am - St. George, UT
Dear Jaxmom:

Question for you. 

What type of surgery did you have. How much from that surgery have you lost. I see by your ticker tape that you have lost 10+ lbs. is that since April 08? Just trying to understand your journey so far.

Thanks,

JRolfson
jaxmom
on 3/17/09 9:37 am, edited 3/17/09 9:39 am
Hi,
I had Lap RNY in 2002. I have gained back a lot and now am trying to lose it again. The ticker is for my recommitment journey. The date (4/08) is when i joined this web site. The weight loss started less than a month ago. thanks, cari

Deanne K.
on 3/12/09 10:24 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All,
It is slower, but you know what, it's coming off.  50 lbs in 6 months and I am a happy camper.
JROLFSON
on 3/18/09 2:52 am - St. George, UT
You have done so well Deanne....Congrats!!!!!

Janie
Most Active