What are the risks of a revision

CharleneP
on 3/1/09 12:47 pm - Canada
Thanks for the info..
I thought there was certain criteria that you had to meet before they even considered the DS.
I heard that the BMI had to be over 50.. mine is 46.
I guess I'll check that site too.. all this info is great.. just a little confusing though.. :)
~~Sami~~ *.
on 3/2/09 2:12 am - Jacksonville, FL
You're right that OHIP changed the requirements to a BMI of 50 for DS... but I don't know if that applies for revisions or not.  You might want to check on the Ontario Forum.

There's a chance that Dr. Michel Gagner may be coming to Toronto (or NY).  If so, I really recommend that you contact him.  He's one of the best bariatric surgeons in the world.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Magyargal
on 3/3/09 2:21 pm
Hi Charlene,
      I had stomach stapling back in Feb 1992, so 17 years ago.. I am having revision surgery. I'll be having the RNY done. I have to have my surgery open, due to the mesh that was used.. I was very lucky to get my old records! Because they were just about ready to destroy them!! The thing is I don't recall them saying anywhere in my old records that a mesh was used. I'll have to reread the paper work. I wonder if they would even mention it in the old records....
      My New Surgeon told me that I have a mesh.How would he know for sure?? I wonder if they saw it on the MRI, Cat Scan, or Endoscope  test?
      I just found my old surgery papers. I thought I gave them to my new surgeon. I guess I didn't.. Now to copy them and make sure he has a copy too... I have a lot going on in me, so I would have to have open anywhere..I Pray that surgery is not as bad as it use to be!!! So yes it is possible to have a RNY. I just got my approval in the mail today..

Wow the wording is crazy! It says it is not guaranteed to be covered! And that my condition can not change before surgery! But it will because my surgeon told me I have to get down to a 40 BMI! My BC?BS FEP, approval letter is really very confusing! What if i have the surgery then say..oops, sorry we are not covering it!!??? I'm really thinking if I  really want to go through with it now! I wish you the best..  Alizka...

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

CharleneP
on 3/3/09 9:26 pm - Canada
Thanks for everyones  insight...I'm really thinking about this.
I have requested from the hospital my surgical records from 23 years ago and as well as the scope they did in the 90's showing that there wasn't anything left of the stapling.
I'm hoping this will clarify some things for me,  especially about the mesh.
I do not want to have an open either.. We know what thats like and it really its too pleasant. However, we did survive, and would again. But, the new options sound sooo much better.
I went to visit my family Dr last night to get him to sign my out of country papers.. I wasn't sure what he was going to think about all of this..
I was SHOCKED.. he told me that he was 110% behind me.. and he told me to tell him, what I wanted done. I thanked him for being there for me and for the support that I'm going to be needing.. He said,  People do not understand what an overweight person has to deal with day to day....

Most Active