Band PPL who have been revised...what did you choose??

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 11:25 am - AZ
On February 26, 2009 at 7:17 PM Pacific Time, ~~Sami~~ *. wrote:
Hi CM:

I chose a VSG.

I lost 50 pounds in 4 months and have had a 4 month stall.

I was torn between a VSG and DS... and went for the VSG on the advice of my surgeon, who was afraid of what he'd fine after 7 years with a Band and thought I could easily drop 80-100 pounds with the VSG.  My inner-gut thought I needed a DS, though.  (Trust your inner self!)

For me, with a 34 French sleeve, I can eat a lot more than with my Band... and actually have been able to eat a lot more than most Sleevesters.  I don't know why.  I saw my sleeve on fluoro post-op.  I know it's small.  It was oversewn.

The ghrelin effect for me (no hunger) only lasted for about two months too.

The biggest issue with the sleeve (IMHO) is that it restricts quantity...yes... but it does not keep you from coming back to eat.  So, I eat a small meal... and then 1-2 hours later, I'm eating again because I'm, hungry.  It's easy to eat around.  

Oh vitamins are a must with the sleeve.  My 6 month bloodwork showed very low Vit D and elevated PTH.  So, remember that the sleeve is a lot more serious than a Band.  You MUST take sublingual B12, vitamin D, calcium, a multi, and possibly Iron for life.  You must get bloodwork for life (Just like the RNY and DS).

You really don't have to take B12, Ca, or iron for life.  Each person is unique.  If you didn't need Vit D before surgery, the sleeve doesn't really do anything to cause you to need it.  Same with iron and Ca.  B12... less than 1% of sleeved people do not have enough IF to absorb it from their food and they need it.  Ca... women should be taking that with or without WLS.  Iron... why?

People across the country are low on Vit D, it doesn't have anything to do with WLS as people without WLS are low as well.

I question if you have a tight 34F or not, I can eat 2oz of solid protein and I'm absolutely stuffed.  I'm going on 9 months.

I have no intention of getting bloodwork for life "because" of being sleeved.  I'll do it as I would with or without WLS.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 11:27 am - AZ

I was banded for 18 months.  I did get to goal but the band was a horror, I couldn't stand it anymore.  I revised when I was at goal to a sleeve.  It was VERY hard maintaining my weight, I did lose more than I wanted to but I knew that was a likely possibility due to the post op diet.  I quickly regained and I'm back up to 120, a doable weight for me at 5/5.

JanelG
on 2/28/09 11:34 pm - Canada
I had VSG done Dec. 2006 and weight loss was great for the first 6-8 months, then a huge stall and now I am regaining. I am looking at revision because I never reached goal and now I am back to yo-yo'ing like I did for years and years pre-op!!
But many people did do well with the VSG.  Personally, I would go with RNY or DS because then you have the malabsorption to give you long-lasting results when the restriction no longer works for you.  Good luck!!
Pam M.
on 3/1/09 5:44 am - WA

My surgeon just submitted the paperwork for a revision to RNY, as I have had complications with my band. I had to have emergency surgery in Nov because my band had slipped. I've become very disillusioned with the band, and am excited to have the revision surgery. My sleep apnea has had a huge impact on my life, especially with work, and I've been on high blood pressure meds since my late 20's. When my doctor told me that if I lose and get to about 230, I will have lost what the "average" band patient loses, I knew I had to do something else. Granted, I could lose more than the average, but it has been tough up to this point, and I'm not sure if I can get more weight off without feeling like I'm dieting, something I had hoped surgery would eliminate. Even though my doctor would support either decision (to keep working the band or revise to RNY), when I told him I was ready for revision, I could tell he thought I made the right decision, the one he would have recommended if I had gone to him originally. (It was a different surgeon who did my band). 

I want my health back, I'm tired of being tired. Even though I am on CPAP therapy for my sleep apnea, I still live with a lot of fatigue. The impact on my life has been tremendous, and I'm weary of it.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

charleston-mom
on 3/2/09 11:36 pm
I had a revision from band to RNY. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm down to 106 and very, very happy with the results. I am MUCH healthier now.
Most Active