Why do you need a revision?

jenspen
on 2/25/09 5:06 am - Knoxville, TN
Can you tell me what consitutes a revision?  I know the obvious not enough weight lost/weight gain or a failed "staple line"...  Are there standards of how far out you have to be considered for a revision?  Are insurance companies or Doctors looking for something specific to approve you for a revision?  Why do you need a revision??

Thank you for your thoughts!

Jenspen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jenspen - 37 yo, SAHM of (2 Boys 6&4yo), Wife for 10 years HW 306/SW 295/ GW160

Revision from RNY to DS 9/22/2009

A B.
on 3/3/09 9:16 am, edited 3/3/09 10:00 am - Abilene, TX
I have been asking the same questions, as to how you know if you would qualify for a Revision. My operation is now 5 yrs out and I never reached the optimum , desired weight. The first nine months I lost 100plus a few pounds, then nothing. This last year I have climbed back to 330 lbs. I've have contacted several offices here in Texas, but all say you need -Medibolic Failure,-Co-Morbid resolution , or something worse as a result of weight gain. Still suffering from the original illness is not enough. What does all of this mean anyone???
NahNah
StacysMom
on 3/3/09 10:12 am
 From what I have noticed from reading this board for over two years is that may people who need revisions didn't have the right surgery for them in the first place!   They usually had the RNY or a lapband, when what they needed was a stronger "tool" like the DS.  (The problem is that the RNY and lapbands are the procedures which most doctors do and most insurance companies readily pay for, so the patient really didn't have much of a choice the first time around!)   Or, they had medical complications  complications (strictures, stable line disruption, hernias, etc.)  Usually when there is a medical complication, it is easier to get the insurance companies to pay for revision surgery and while the doctor is already in there, he or she can add more malabsorption, etc. to the original surgery.  

Because everyone's insurance is different, and sometimes coverages differ according who the individual person who is reviewing your case, there is no way to tell if the revision will be covered until you actually apply for revision to your personal insurance carrier.  Two patients can have the same exact insurance and one will be approved right away and the other will have to appeal the insurance company's decision several times before approval.

WLS surgery is not a "one size fits all" deal.    Depending on the patient's lifestyle and adherence to the post WLS eating plan, different WLS works in different ways for different people.   That's why it is so important for everyone to do their research BEFORE having ANY surgery done and not just going with the procedure that some doctor wants to perform.    If everyone did this the first time out, there would be much less need for revision stemming from "need to lose" issues.     
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/09 1:10 pm - San Jose, CA
Generally, to qualify for a revision for insufficient weight loss, you have to qualify for WLS all over again (BMI >40 for over 5 years), PLUS you may have to demonstate that you have had a mechanical failure of your original surgery.

If your ticker is correct, you don't REMOTELY qualify for a revision, unless you are suffering from uncontrolled puking or something.

Should you ever need a revision, you should consider revising to the DS instead.  http://www.dssurgery.com/aboutus/Research/safeoperation.pdf
jenspen
on 3/4/09 1:04 am - Knoxville, TN
Thank you all for your input it is appreciated.

Jenspen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jenspen - 37 yo, SAHM of (2 Boys 6&4yo), Wife for 10 years HW 306/SW 295/ GW160

Revision from RNY to DS 9/22/2009

Most Active