I am so lost...

babybee6
on 2/5/09 8:03 am - Cincinnati, OH
Some of you might recognize me. I've been on these boards on and off for a few years. I had my RNY 7 years ago this month. Everything went well, lost 100 lbs. in less than a year, stabilized then started gaining after about 2 or 3 years. Just a little bit at first but now I am up at least 40 lbs. I needed to lose almost 200, I would have been very happy with 175.  So I started coming here but could never decide what to do. I got into the ROSE trial last year but was on the operating table when they decided my pouch was too small for the instruments. I have like a 2 by 3 inch pouch but an enlarged stoma. It's just as well, it seems like that  procedure doesn't work anyway. So the doctor who was doing my bloodwork, etc. retired in Oct. He was going to do the extended rny. My original surgeon moved a couple of hours away and I feel like he just rearranged my guts and sent me on my way. He stopped taking my insurance when I was a year out.  I started going to my retired doctor's associate and she put me on a back on track diet. Ha. You probably already know how that turned out. It's the old, "If I could stay on a diet, I would have never gotten this fat in the first place"!  Today I canceled two appointments there, one with the dietician. This little bitty thing, when I asked if she'd ever been fat, told me that no, she always watched what she ate. No clue. The doctor said she could do the RNY but I would only lose 30 lbs. Well, what would be the point of going through all of that????? So I don't know what my options are. Dr. Husted is about 3 hours away but I don't know if I can afford it even if my insurance does cover a DS and someone out of state. I think that's my next step. Call his office. I feel like I already know they won't take my insurance. Any advice or support would be welcome.  I'd like to hear how those *****vised to an Erny are doing and other types of successful revisions. But I think I already know thw only thing that will work and I'm scared.
Brenda
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/5/09 9:14 am
Hi Brenda,
I'm sorry your having a tough go of it. I think it's actually blessing in disguise you didn't get the Rose or ERNY. I haven't heard anything good about the Rose or any "pouch tightening" procedure, and the ERNY has it problems.

Since you seem to know of the DS, I suspect you know what greats stats it has, and that you would almost certainly be successful with it. I was so certain the DS was the only thing that would work for me, that I refused a band or RNY paid for by insurance, and self paid for the DS
Husted is a great surgeon, and more importantly, he is a revision surgeon. Three hours sounds great to me, since many of us traveled far and wide to get a surgeon of his caliber.

Checking with Husted sounds like a good starting place, and if your insurance is resistant, they may have advice for getting you approved. There are plenty of folks who have revised to DS on the DS board, and you may want to ask for info over there for some ideas. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and hope you can update how things are going.
Deanne
LosingSally
on 2/5/09 12:49 pm
I have ERNY. I am not a revision, this is the surgery I got 3 years and 7 months ago.
I've lost 146 lbs and have no problems keeping it off. I have had IBS for years, but haven't had many flare-ups in recent years. My labs are good, and I'd say my main problem is getting in enough protein.
The people I have seen post who have ERNY as a revision seem to be doing well, except for one woman who has posted about some issue, I'm sorry I can't remember what it was. Post on the main board and ask for those who have had ERNY. You'll hear from those who have actually had ERNY, and thier own experiences, not just from people who don't have ERNY.
Good luck on your journey to good health.
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/09 11:57 pm - TX
I'm a Husted DS revision and Ellen, his insurance gal is wonderful at getting approvals.
Most Active