sclerotherapy/stomaphyx?

FernTate
on 12/30/08 11:53 pm
General forum board referrred me here regarding my overdialated stoma.  I had 3 endoscopies shortly after RNY (6 months ago) due to a stricture and ulcer.  Ever since food just falls thru,
and I'm empty and hungry 1/2 hr after eating.  Very, very slow weightloss stopped now.  I've heard there is a procedure to tighten the stoma?  Thru Endoscopy.  Is it expensive.  I have new insurance, and don't think they would cover this as it is a result of a surgery I had prior to being under their plan.  Is it sclerotherapy or stomaphyx?  Anybody had this done?  How long does it last?  Is it tricky?  I'll be making an appointment with my surgeon to discuss this, of course.
PekinSal
on 1/1/09 3:04 am - UK
Past posts have been about this, but the prospects of either of them working don't seem that good.

If I remember right, stomaphyx is where they put stitches into your stoma and pull it a bit a tighter. Sclerotherapy is where a chemical is injected a number of times into the stoma, and the body's reaction is to create scar tissue that makes the hole smaller in diameter.

None of the people I've seem posting about this have been that enthusiastic - they say that it works for a few weeks, but not much after that. Unless the people it works for don't post of course! By all means look into it, but perhaps also ask about extended RNY, pouch resizing and DS.

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active