Can anyone share thoughts on...

PekinSal
on 1/2/09 4:10 am - UK
I had the band first, thinking that all I needed was a 'helping hand' and I could lose weight mostly on my own.

I chose the DS as a revision because it is seen as the 'big gun' of wls - it works for the large majority of people, and they lose the most weight of all the surgeries in the long term. Failing once, I didn't want to fail again.

But with hindsight it would have been better for me anyway - for reasons that I could't predict:
1. It changes your taste buds (no idea why) so sweet things don't appeal to me now. I'll have a few bites then get bored of it
2. It stops you feeling hungry - most of your stomach is removed, including the bits that produce the hormone that makes you feel hungry. Before the surgery I felt hungry all the time
3. It has changed my body chemistry - I'm not diabetic anymore, and deal with sugar like a 'normal' skinny person. I don't get food cravings now, and can ignore food in the cupboards until it's time to eat

The band had none of these things, and the RNY and sleeve only have some of them. Now I'm different, I can see that I would have never made it on my own or with the band - the odds of being constantly hungry, liking bad foods, having a messed up insulin response and a huge capacity stacked the odds against me! Like I say though, I didn't know this until I'd had the DS, so you just have to be as honest with yourself as you can.

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active