Revision Surgeon In Atlanta, GA

Desiree N.
on 12/2/08 7:53 am - Marietta, GA
Hi,

I am interested in exploring revision surgery. I had my RNY with Dr. Smith at Emory who is no longer there.  I never lost the amount of weight that was projected. I stopped losing weight at 9 months and held that weight for almost 5 years now, except now I've gained over 20 lbs.  I never got  lower than 200, even after all the plastic surgery.

I also have had multiple problems with hernia at the lap sites. I can't get Emory to pay attention, there follow-up in my opinion hasn't been the greatest I think to the volume of the patients they see, at least for me (just my opinion.)  I also had complications during the original surgery and do not wish to go back to them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for surgeons that might consider a revision on a RNY person?  Also does anyone know if AETNA PPO invidual plan helpful with approving a revision. AETNA approved my first surgery.

I've been reading the stomaphyx isn't the best way to go.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Desiree Novajosky
Marietta GA
RNY 4/7/2003  296/195 lowest/221 now.  Wishing for 150!!

AphY Girl
on 12/3/08 1:49 am

I agree stomaphyx is not the right way to go - I don't think it is a long term solution.

I know that Dr. Procter in Gainesville and ******* does revision surgeries.  I am working with him now to bypass more intestines... not sure if it will happen since we are switching to BCBS of NE at my job come 1/1/09 and I hear they don't cover bariatric surgery at all.

Also, Dr. Champion in Marietta also does revisions however I don't think he is 'in network' with any insurance - however, they will bill the insurance as out of network and you'd have to pay whatever portion that your benefits wont cover because of him being out of network.

First thing that any doctor will have you do is an Upper GI with small bowel follow through as well as an endoscope to see what your insides look like.  Mine they say are fine - but I have a loop in my bowel which Dr Procter will be operating on Monday - but wont fix the hernia and do the revision at the same time.  BOO!

Good luck!

JROLFSON
on 12/4/08 3:54 am - St. George, UT
Dr. Schlessinger in Arizona seems to be a top favorite on this site and is well versed on RNY Revision to distal.

There are a lot others although I know of none in Georgia.

JRolfson
ladydi1970
on 12/4/08 7:35 am - GA
There aren't any REVISION to DS surgeons in Atlanta.  They will do revisions of some type of what you already have.

Been there, done that.

Dr. Michael Williams in Marietta, GA is very good and nice.  But will only do revisons of the RNY (make pouch smaller, etc).
Dr. Dennis Smith, I haven't met him, but he only does a varation of your RNY. Extend limb???? I think is what the lady @ the office said.  I don't know exactly what that means,

Anyway....that's what  found.

But no, there are no Revision to DS Surgeons around here :o(

I'm using Dr. John Husted. ....hopefully, if approved.

Good luck in your findings!  PM me if you'd like.

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

2xacharm
on 12/4/08 7:56 am - GA

HI,

The only surgeons that do revisions in Atlanta were those who would reduce the pouch or do an Erny. I would suggest that you do your research first before you decide on what type of revision to have.

I too, am working with Dr Husted in Ky, as I have also chosen the DS. Just as an fyi, Dr Husted does most WLS. You might want to attend one of his seminars or at minimum check out his website www.johnhustedmd.com , its very informative. Also, Dr Husted takes special interest in doing revisions, and you certainly want to choose someone well versed in revisions as it can be riskier than the original surgery.

Charmed 

Most Active