RNY revision - How long before you could drink alcohol?

cuppyb
on 11/30/08 8:23 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
How long after your revision to RNY before you could drink alcohol?  I'm not a huge drinker but over the past year & a half I have taken a liking for martinis - especially espresso martinis 

Anyway I would order a drink or two on the weekends when hubby & I go out for dinner or dancing when I had my band.  We are leaving for a cruise tomorrow and don't you know they do a daily martini sampling with 5 mini martinis for $10 to try - different selection each day.

I'm only 5 weeks out so I won't be having any (will probably be drooling watching everyone else) but was wondering when people tried to have alcohol after their revision. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Madcow
on 11/30/08 8:30 pm - MA
I havent had any yet. I will probably hold out for a year or so post op.  It's the calories..

240/140/138
katrinaha
on 12/1/08 3:06 am - Houston, TX
I have no problem with a glass of wine. Katrina
cuppyb
on 12/1/08 9:54 am - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
My husband would love it if I started to drink wine.  He is a wine collector and is always talking to me about a new bottle he opened and I have no desire to drink wine.  

If I end up having to give up my martinis then maybe I'll switch down the road.  

Thanks for the info. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

katrinaha
on 12/2/08 1:32 am - Houston, TX
I never drank wine before either, now its the perfect "****tail" for me. I do add a lot of ice and I like the White Zin. You will get a lot of different responses on this issue. My doctor has no problem with this, hasn't since month2. Everything in moderation, right?  Enjoy your cruise!
Katrina 
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/08 6:14 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
I had a RNY 2 years ago.  It must have been about a year post op that I had wine.  I get drunker than a skunk on only a 1/2 glass.  I thought I could build up a tolerance to it but I guess not.  I pretty much gave up drinking unless I can't sleep.  Daisy   
blueskiesagain
on 12/14/08 2:04 am - Birmingham, AL

Just going to put my story out there, maybe it will help. 
I was not a big drinker before RNY; maybe once every 3 mo.  After I had the surgery, I waited about a year then had a drink.  And another.  And another.  I have since found out there have been many studies as it relates to alcoholism after gastric bypass, as there seems to be a higher rate post surgery.  You be the judge.  I just wanted to share my story, as it was out of control for a little while.  I had to give up ETOH in all forms, but on the upside, my life is much better. 

Everyone will not have the problem, but I did.  Just wanted to put another side out there.

tsa1560
on 12/22/08 11:43 am - , TX
My NUT said 1 year out until you can drink alcohol.  He said that he would be surprised if most people waited past 6 months before they tried it. 
Most Active