VBG TO LAP BAND YES ITS POSSIBLE

Nurse343
on 6/11/08 10:49 am - Colorado Springs, CO

On 5/5/08 my Dr gave me the most wonderful gift a revision.  I had a VBG in 1995 and lost from 280 to 140, over the years I gained back 100lbs.  After going through many doctors and no one whould touch me due to poss scar tissue i stumbled upon DR Metz in Denver.  I was very afraid to have RNY I am a nurse and have seen a few people with vit and mineral diffciency some of them with significant hair loss.  Needles to say I was afraid.  After an upper GI and a lot of talking with his partner they were going to try and band the upper part of my stomach where the pouch stretched and he said we are gonna try it laproscopic!   So I went to sleep not knowing if I would wake up with an open and a rny or a laproscopic lap band.  Thank heavens after an hour of reducing scar tissue he found my stomach.   He said when he saw it he had a feeling of relief  he thought " I can get that band on"..  Don't get me wrong it was a 4 hr lapband and probably as painful as a rny but in the end he did it and I am a banded person.  When I was searching for revision options this was basically told to  me that lap band was out of the question.  I wanted to let people know its not. 

pepsi98
on 6/14/08 2:14 am - Norwich, CT
Hi Samantha,    I am rejoicing with you because I too am an RN and had a gastric stapling back in 1982.  I have gone all these years morbidly obese after the weight came back on.  I had the stomaphyx but it did not help, so I went back to my MD and we discussed revision.  He too was a little less than thrilled with the scar tissue and adhesion issue but after discussing ti with his team he said that he would try a revision.  The more I thought about it I thought that instead of a full revision, I wanted to opt for a lap band.  He felt that it was less risky and told me that there would be one of his partners in with him.  So, now I am waiting for the approval from the insurance company.  I spend most of my time over on the lap band forum so that I can benefit from all their different experiences.  I cannot wait until I get my band.  Please keep us informed of your progress...I will be following your progress closely!!  We are blessed to have wonderful and caring doctor's!! Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Nurse343
on 6/14/08 1:03 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
Glad to hear it. It was a little more time consuming and a lot more painful than the standard lapband but i hope it is worth is.  So far so good down to 215-216.  keep in touch I would also like to hear of your progress.  I had bc/bs federal and it was only like 3-4 weeks once my doctor filed it so good luck with yours.
pepsi98
on 6/14/08 9:14 pm - Norwich, CT
I have BC/BS of CT (State employee)---it's been probably been 2 weeks since the letter from the MD was submitted so I hope to hear something soon.  Did you hear it first from the MD or from the insurance company?  How long were you in the hospital?
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Nurse343
on 6/16/08 12:04 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
I heard from my doctor first and then got a letter about 2 weeks later after I had already booked my surgery.  Why are you choosing lap band over bypass.  I was just afraid of all the malabsorptive problems
Cassandra W.
on 6/15/08 7:21 am - West, TX
A lot of us had that surgery in the 90's prolly by docs who went to a week-end seminar.  I know I did.  I had my revision to lapband in 2006 with 0 complications even though I had extensive scarring because the original surgeon had to covert to an open procedure.  It took a few hours longer but I recovered with less pain or problems than a lot of people.  I had the surgery on a Monday in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Javiar de la Garza and felt well enough to fly home the following Wednesday. I also just returned from Monterrey to have that band removed and revision to RNY.  That was my third WLS and I hope to God we got it right this time.  Of course that might not happen until they can operate on the brain since that is the problem Wishing you the best of all things

Nurse343
on 6/16/08 12:06 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
Why did  you have to go to the rny?
Cassandra W.
on 6/16/08 12:12 pm - West, TX
a lot of us had trouble about two years out but Im sure you will do fine.

Nurse343
on 6/16/08 12:15 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
yes that is what I am afraid of he tried to get me to do the rny but I was afraid of the side effects.  Sometimes I am like what have I done.  What kind of trouble did you have.  What was your starting wt.  and how much did you lose.  if you don't mind me asking
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/08 8:56 am - on the border, MA
Cassandra, it's so nice to see you, wi**** didn't have to be on the revision board, but it's great to see you none the less {hugs}.  I to am doing revision, I lost my band last year, gained the majority of weight back through lots of pity eating.  I was aiming for the sleeve, but I don't think it's going to work for me.  So, maybe by the end of the year I will have RNY.  I hope all goes well with you!  As for our heads.... there is so much junk in there... best of luck to you!
Most Active