Revision after Stomaphyx

christineneale
on 5/19/08 12:06 am - tampa, FL
 Dr Overcash in Ocala Fl is my Dr and this thursday he will doing my revision I had open RNY in 2003 he will be doing stomaphyx and bypassing more intestine  
ALABAMA
on 5/19/08 8:49 am - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
christine I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope all go well for you on thursday. I will be having the same surgery on june 4th.
reenieb
on 5/20/08 3:03 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
They should call this procedure the Stomafail, not the Stomaphyx. I'm sorry it did not work for you - you are not alone in this. Maureen
valerie_farrell
on 5/21/08 5:03 am
Sorry to hear about your failed procedure.  I am scheduled for the same 5/30/08.  Why did the procedure fail?  Help I need info
reenieb
on 5/21/08 5:24 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
The only advice I can offer is do your research. Pay attention to the statistics of failure rather than the desperate hope you have to fix the regain problem. A stoma opening may be able to be tightened but the methods currently used do not guarantee that the opening will remain tight - stitches loosen, glue loses its integrity, and when you start eating solid food again, you will begin to open the stoma.  These "fixes" are not the answer to stopping or losing regained weight - it's not rocket science, folks. The only guaranteed proven method of keeping weight off is eating HEALTHY foods in MODERATE portions and working out REGULARLY and VIGOROUSLY for the rest of our lives. When we slack on these behavioral change mandates, we begin to gain weight. There's no getting around it. My prescription: find JOY in your life and redirect all the energy you're expending in obsessing about food into what fills you up emotionally. I fight this fight every day of my life.  None of this is easy.  Best of luck to all, Maureen
valerie_farrell
on 5/21/08 5:42 am
Thank you for the message.  Yes, joy is a necessity as too exercise.  My choice of this option is to nip my lack of attention to me ASAP.  I'll keep you informed and thankyou for the information. Be well.
reenieb
on 5/21/08 5:51 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I don't mean to sound curt or unfriendly about this - I am angry at the WLS medical industry for touting these procedures as viable solutions to stemming the tide of weight regain.  I am angry that I bought into it and had the RestorE procedure. I am angry that it failed and feel ashamed of myself for pursuing it, knowing full well that the real problem was ME - not any failed WLS.  Sure, my stoma was significantly enlarged, but why wouldn't it be after four years post-op from my gastric bypass?  The surgery is a TOOL (initial RNY) - we must do the work.  It's tough, tough stuff to do every day.  Best of luck to you, Valerie, and I hope I have not offended you - or anyone else on this board. Maureen
valerie_farrell
on 5/21/08 5:56 am
No offense.  I too had my RNY in '03.  Besides this be the place to express.  Without this community I would never had committed to the first surgery.  Thanks for your honesty and good luck.  I'll be dragging out the Norditrak tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
reenieb
on 5/21/08 6:27 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Good girl!!!
Most Active