Revision after Stomaphyx

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/08 4:04 am - Brunswick, ME
Hi, I had the Stomaphyx with Dr. Garber in December and it did nothing to limit the amount of food intake.  I was his first, and only, patient to have the procedure as a revision to a DS done in 2000.  My pouch was just too big for the surgery to be successful.  Dr. Garber said the only option he would consider for me at this point is a Lap-Band.  What I really want is a combination of restriction and malabsorption.  My BMI is 35 and I do have high blood pressure.  Does anyone know of a surgeon that might do a combination procedure after a Stomaphyx?  Thanks for any info. Angie
pepsi98
on 5/15/08 6:06 am - Norwich, CT
 I don't know, but I also had stomaphyx at Tufts in Boston and I will be seeing Dr. Shikora on Tuesday and asking for a revision from a 1982 gastric bypass.  I don't think I had a chance with stomaphyx, and have gained beyond what I was.  I go up tomorrow for an Upper GI (I think so that he can see what I look like 3 months post stomaphyx) and then we'll take it from there next week.  I am praying that I can get an extended RNY as soon as possible and feel hope within me again!!
reenieb
on 5/21/08 5:25 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Please let me know the results of your upper GI - I am curious to know the size of your stoma three months post your stomaphyx. Maureen
Patricia B.
on 5/15/08 7:56 am - Oxon Hill, MD
Hi, I had a complete revision done in April 07.  He undid the RNY, did a DS with a lapband.  You may try to contact Dr. Elariny who is located in Vienna Virginia.  He is an excellent surgeon and he has done a lot of revision weightloss surgies. Pat
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/08 8:39 am - Brunswick, ME
Thank you for the info!!! Angie
birdwatcher56
on 5/15/08 8:10 am - Hamilton, OH
What is a Stomaphyx?   thanks
LosingSally
on 5/15/08 7:42 pm
You had DS in 2000, and regained some weight? I assume you were hoping to get some more restriction with the Stomaphyx? Please keep us updated on your progress!
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/08 8:39 am - Brunswick, ME
Yes, I had a DS in 2000 and lost 200 pounds and I have regained 70. Both Dr. Garber and Dr. Schlesinger told me that the surgeon that did my DS probably didn't bypass enough to make it a true DS. The long term sucess of the DS is based on malabsorption, not restriction. Yes, I was really hoping that the Stomaphyx would give me some restriction but it didn't at all. When I spoke with Dr. Garber yesterday he said he wasn't surprised by this and he won't be doing any more Stomaphyx as a revision to a DS. I spoke with Dr. Sclesinger today and he gave me some options, other than Lap-Band, which I am very happy about.
LosingSally
on 5/17/08 6:15 pm
Do you know how long your common channel is? I believe this is the key point in DS.
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/08 3:29 am - Brunswick, ME
Yes, the common channel length is definitely the key. I don't know the length of my common channel and I can't figure if out from the operative report. I will be faxing it to Dr. Schlesinger tomorrow and then find out from him.
Most Active