Iwant a revision after Gastric Bypass!

ShayZ
on 5/13/08 2:30 am - Somewhere, TX

Alex, I think that is a excellent thing to do, something else you might want to look into is getting CareCredit, they tend to be interest free if you can pay it off in the first 6 months.  That way you at least save that money.  I talked to my best friend; and she made a good point about the possibility of my having to pay out of pocket for my revision.  She said, "You invest in everyone and everything else; isn't it about time you invest in yourself, afterall what can be better?"  She had an excellent point; but the surgeon told me $30,000, so I am still fighting for insurance, lol.  PM me anytime you wish.

M. Hall
on 5/12/08 3:34 am - Norcross, GA
Aleximaq and Shawn31 yall doin better than me cause I was 328 and got down to 219 and I am presently at 270. I took me along time to think about doing a revision because of the problems I went thru the 1st time. But I am in waist deep now and I am kind of excited especially after reading Ginau is doing well. I wish I wouldve known about this web page back in 2002 when I had my 1sy WLS  surgery
Angela M.
on 5/12/08 5:24 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with

How long did it take you to get down to 219?

317/287/170

M. Hall
on 5/12/08 8:12 am - Norcross, GA
Within the the first 6 months. You have to understand that I was in the hospital for a month and could only have liquids or ice chips. I lost 35 lbs that one month alone. After that month he still wanted to me to follow his regime. I went back in 3 months later for another surgery  and had to start back over on the his regime again. In the past 2 years ive gained 50lbs. 
PekinSal
on 5/12/08 5:56 am - UK
If it helps, the 'common channel' is the only bit of your tubing where food and the enzymes that break down your food are mixed together. If your common channel was zero your food wouldnt get digested and would come out the other end like it went in! You'd be too skinny in no time, malnourished and probably die. On the other hand, the longer CC you have, the more time your food has to get digested and absorbed. I have 100cm for it to do this, and although it partly helps with losing weight the main benefit is that it keeps the weight off long term. I have a 1oz stomach too so you kinda can't put weight on with that little a space! I apologise if RNY plumbing is slightly different - I think it might be but I can never understand the plumbing diagrams. The principle is the same anyway. Best of luck with your revisions Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Angela M.
on 5/12/08 7:49 am - Vicksburg , MS
I never knew any of this....thank you so much for this information.  When I go to my consult with my new surgeon I will bring this up.....

317/287/170

Arizonadck
on 5/12/08 9:05 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Alex, Have you read of of the posts by Dr. Schlesinger.  If not look him up in the member forum list (he's under d's for Dr. S).  He's a doc in Arizona *****sponds periodically to different questions.  I have only been on this forum for a couple of weeks and found him.  Back in March he posted "ABC's of Revisions" -- it offers great inside into different revisions (restrictive vs malabsorption).  I'm looking for a revision (had my RNY June 03).  My bypass doc will only offer a band.  According to Dr. S's write-up this band wouldn't work for anyone whose pouch is already small (like mine - my problem is my stoma is enlarged) and would not offer large weight loss (I want to lose 70-80 lbs).  He said the Extended Rny would be the best (adding more malabsorption which means more weight loss and not as dangerous as the DS).  He encourages me to go for a 2nd opinion - find a doc who offers different revisions.  So that's what I'm doing now.  He encourages anyone to email him if you want a more private conversation instead of doing it on the forum.  All of this is mind boggling and each step takes so long - I want it now (patience is not a strong point of mine).  But we have to take one day at a time - do your research - and don't settle for just anything.  I wish you the best.  Keep us posted!!  Carolyn. 
MsCin
on 5/12/08 9:21 am
What do they do for extended RNY ? 
Arizonadck
on 5/13/08 10:53 am - Chicago, IL
Per Dr. Schlesinger:  an extended RNY - they move the Y downstream to shorten the common conduit - giving you more malabsorption.  A DS requires major reconstruction of the stomach, removal of much of the stomach, and shortening the common condut.  It's a much bigger and riskier operation (for someone who has an RNY) and would offer absolutely NO advantage over the Extended RNY. 
Angela M.
on 5/13/08 2:24 am - Vicksburg , MS
Patience is not one of my strong points either but I have been reading a lot of posts on this board and the main one and I really need to thank God that I only have this one issue to deal with.  I can not believe how long some people have been waiting to have this surgery or need to have to this surgery and are getting the run around from every angle and here I am with my whiny complaining ass *****ing and moaning over a program fee.  It took me all of two weeks to get my paperwork to the insurance company, have them deny it because some stuff was left out, re-submit it and get approved.  There is some poor lady on here whose appeal has been "pending" for like more than 2 months. Anyway, I know this had nothing to do with your post and yes I do read Dr. S's post because I think it is wonderful of him to take time out to come here and educate us.  I am now more interested in this extended RNY and will surely look more into it. Thanks!

317/287/170

Most Active