question about revision weight loss

Ms TJ P.
on 5/6/08 9:02 am - VA
Is it true that if you have a revision from one weight loss surgery to another (like from band to bypass) you don't lose as much weight? And if so, then why?? Even if you never loss the weight in the first place. I just want a clear understanding. Tonya
Angela M.
on 5/6/08 10:45 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
From what I have read (on this forum) that seems to sorta be the case.  What I have read is that you lose weight a lot slower than you did when you had the original surgery.  What I can't get anyone to tell me is, are they working out? Are they really following the diet?  Are they able to get in enough protein?  I know all of these factor into their weight loss but whenever I ask....no one answers.   Also, I have read on here, at least once, that someone met her goal within 5 months.  So I know it is possible to get to where you need to be.  I also know that the type of surgery you have plays a huge part as well.  We all know those lucky DSers have great numbers but with the new revisions such as Stomaphyx and the ROSE procedure we are seeing a lot of people who lose 15-20 at first and then get stuck there. Hope this helps......

317/287/170

PekinSal
on 5/7/08 6:25 am - UK
Hi Tonya I heard as well that revisions lose slower, because you've already been 'on a diet' before the revision. I think its like when you go on a diet you expect that first couple of weeks to show 'spectacular' weight loss - mostly water (but who cares)! When you revise you've already had that once, your body might have adapted to less calories? I didn't expect to lose 27lbs in a month - it doesn't seem real, but then I was stuffing my face for 4 months when I had my band out and wasn't on any kind of diet before the DS! Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

ShayZ
on 5/7/08 7:29 am - Somewhere, TX
Think of it this way, when you were first operated upon you lost a lot of weight quickly for two reasons, you were under extreme restriction and your body was looking to rid itself of the strain of the weight.  Well as you progress down the scale; losing weight becomes harder becuase your body has cellular memory and remembers when it was really heavy (I am talking your original starting weight) and do to the constant dieting has adjusted your metabolism to adapt.  So even if you were to have another surgery and were still a hundered pounds over weight (as I am) then more than likey instead of the 75% of EXCESS weight you were expected to lose with the initial surgery it is reduced to 40-50% and occasionally it is as low as 10-20% depending on your diligence to the diet and the ability of the body to adjust.  But remember that is 40-50% of the excess weight from your high weight; not your present weight.  Hope I haven't confused you more.
MARCIAM
on 5/7/08 9:08 am, edited 5/7/08 9:09 am - Sayville, NY
I, for one, don't care if my weight will come off slowly after I get a revision to RNY. I have stopped losing with the lapband and I would give anything to start losing again. I will be so thankful for slow and steady. I am tired of following all of the rules and not losing anything for months and months. I think that any of us would be happy if we see the scale going in the right direction. Good luck!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

JRinAZ
on 5/8/08 1:31 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Tonya! Good question!  But, you need to plug in all the variables to get a really consistent answer.  For example, if someone is switching from a band to a malabsorptive procedure then it's like a brand new surgery for them except for some possible scar cleaning issues.  So, they should zoom through the weight loss ....UNLESS....they are beginning at a farely low BMI....Lower BMI starts are generally much slower than someone with a high BMI. If someone is extending their Rny to mroe malabsorptive then it may be a slower loss.....BUT, in my case, I lost as fast with my revision as someone may lose who starts with a very high BMI! One size doesn't fit all! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sunshine12
on 5/10/08 1:04 pm - TX
Hello, I am researching the same thing for myself. I currently have the lap-band and hopefully Monday will be scheduling my RNY surgery. This what I found on the NJBariatric about REVISIONAL BARIATRIC SURGERY http://www.njbariatricspc.com/tips/revisions.asp: 'The results also depend on the original bariatric procedure. Many patients who have failed either gastroplasty or LapBand procedures have fairly good weight loss after conversion to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Conversely, patients who fail gastric bypass tend to lose less weight following conversion to a more malabsorptive bariatric procedure. Patients who have "popped" their staples usually do well when this situation is repaired.' ~Sunshine
charleston-mom
on 5/12/08 5:18 am, edited 5/12/08 5:18 am
I never lost the weight I needed with lap band (only about 70 pounds), had a revision from lap band to RNY in August (9 months ago) and am now in a size 4-6. I lost just as fast as the 1st time RNY patients in my group. I've lost over 100 pounds in 9 months. I thank God every day for my RNY!
Most Active