Revision from gastric bypass to Lapband?

MsCin
on 5/11/08 9:50 pm

None taken.  The more information and stories I hear help me make my descision easier. 

charleston-mom
on 5/12/08 5:28 am
I can't say how much I don't recommend having this done. My band came very close to ending my life. I had two slips, one erosion, had all of my front teeth turn black from vomiting, and almost died. You will not be able to eat the kinds of foods you need to eat to lose weight and keep it off. I got to where I could only eat soft foods and the quality of my life was absolutely terrible, not to mention my health. I am grateful every day for my RNY. When my doctor did my revision, he found my band had started to "shred" and was eroding through my stomach wall. It could have cost me my life. I wouldn't go near a lapband now with a ten foot pole. The reoperation rate many years out with lapband is pretty high. I don't feel like it's safe to be honest and am really, really concered about all the hype where people think this procedure is safe. I am a single mother and almost orphaned my children.
MsCin
on 5/12/08 8:05 am
It would be interesting to know who did your lapband surgery.  I know there can be complications with any type of surgery but it sounds like the surgeon did not know what he was doing. Even with RNY I know several folks that had complications from the surgery...to the point where the surgeon left extra gause and stictching materials inside a good friend of mine.  I was the typical textbook case with my surgery. My brother who went to the same surgeon 6 months later ended up with an infection and had to have his incision opened back up and had to let it heal from the inside out which took over a year to heal.  I totally agree all procedures can be very dangerous no matter how invasive they say they are. I am so glad to hear that your revision went well and you are still here!
charleston-mom
on 5/13/08 10:48 pm, edited 5/14/08 4:50 am
My surgeon was one of the top bariatric surgeons in the country and a former president of the ASBS. It had nothing to do with his competency and surgical technique. I have wonderful respect for him.
traceyls57
on 5/30/08 3:48 am
Hi, I have got to tell you I have been all over these boards, and I have not seen anyone that has had what happened to you. I am still trying to decide which surgery to have and after reading Dr. Curry's board on the lap band forum, that is the one I am leaning to. I have been to the memorial board and I haven't seen any lap band patients there. If your teeth turned black that would be a sign that you must have suffered a long time before getting help, is that true? Thanks for the info, I read every thing I can get my hands on and lap band just seems safer than ryn. Tracey
charleston-mom
on 5/30/08 4:32 am
Go on lapbandtalk.com

Read the forums on complications and revisions. That may open your eyes a bit. All the best of luck to you! I'll keep you in all my prayers! I hope you won't have any complications. I'm definitely not the only one. I know of at least 10 people on the forum with problems from lapband (that I know personally). We don't always post because we sometimes get flamed by people who just don't want to hear anything bad.
bandhope
on 5/16/08 12:06 pm - TX

I would have to disagree. I'm almost 6 months out (Lap-Band) and I have not found a food I cannot tolerate. I chew, eat slower, and eat healthier than pre-op...that is it. I do stay away from a lot of carbs by choice (for weight lost only but I can still tolerate it). I know a lot of people who can tolerate all foods with the band. I would not go so far as to tell someone you won't be able to eat the foods your body requires. I'm heathier than I have ever been in my life. I eat very healthy. Please go to the band forum and see for yourself. Everyone is different and no case will ever be the same. Good luck to you.

Cheryl J.
on 5/28/08 5:50 am
 Thanks for the info!  Im looking into getting a lap band placed over my RNY. I would love to lose 60 lbs.  I had the Sclero treatment but its not worth the pain. I'd rather do a full surgical revision.
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/08 7:16 pm - AZ
When you say "pain" do you mean pain as in annoying and a hassle or pain as in OUCH DAMNIT kinda pain?
Cheryl J.
on 5/30/08 1:46 am
I mean OUCH GIVE ME ANOTHER SHOT OF DEMEROL pain!!!  The Sclero treatment is no fun
Most Active