RNY revision (ROSE) being done in NJ

littleguy
on 2/29/08 9:59 pm
i did a little more research.  I found out that this past thursday the first 2 USGI Rose procedures were done at monmouth medical center in long branch new jersey.  I actually spoke to one of the patients who told me the procedure went great and also heard that the other patient also did great.. He told me that dr gorcey and borao make a great team and the staff was also first rate. Apparently this procedure differs from Stomaphyx in that stomaphyx  involves a tube that sucks mucosa of the stomach pouch and shoots a plicator through. the downside is the amount of tissue sucked in varies, which means it may just go through the mucosa without getting the deeper layer needed for a lasting plication. The USGI endosurgical system involves a true operating platform where stomach lining is grabbed and plicated using true surgical graspers under direct visualization of the surgeons. this is all done through the mouth.  Sorry for getting a little technical but the bottom line is the USGI method should be a lasting fix, while the stomaphyx (and bard endostitch for that matter) is a more flimsy fix. I only want to do this once , so im sticking with the usgi method.
babybee6
on 3/1/08 9:34 am - Cincinnati, OH
I'm scheduled to have the ROSE procedure  done on April 4th. I am just praying it doesn't get canceled or anything like I was for the RESTORe. My doctor showed me videos of the procedure and it really made a lot  of sense. He explained that because it grasped the lining it made for a sturdier stitch and that because there are 4 of them in a circle there is equal pressure on each stitch. At the end of each stitch is a little mesh, he called it a football, that also allows equally distributed pressure on the stitch. He said the procedures that are just straight stitches have a lot of pressure on the first stitch and when that becomes loose, more pressure on the next stitch, and so on. They expect this one to hold better than some of the others, although at this point, no one knows for how long. Just having it explained to me and watching the videos makes me think it should last a really long time and if not, it would be easy to adjust, either way.
littleguy
on 3/1/08 9:42 am
thats exactly right. i like things that make sense. I saw the same video. Compared to ROSE procedure, RESTORe(endostitch) and stomaphyx are flimsy repairs that are sure to pop open.
patsy13215
on 4/4/08 11:41 am - syracuse, NY
hi littleguy;I read your post and I am scheduled for a consult and an endoscopy for the rose procedure with the Monmouth hospital program on april 3oth..Are you trying for the rose also?Because i live in syracuse n.y.they are going to have me do the consult,history,and endoscopy the same day and then take it from there.Thankyou foryour informative post..Patsy
Most Active