Upper Endoscopy done today

Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/27/08 1:44 am - Knoxville, TN
I had my EGD done today ..the doc said that my pouch was the size of my fist ...IS that at least 20 -30 mm?  ALSO he said I have a hiatal hernia on my pouch ...what does that mean for me ... I am really confused ...he now wants to do a colonoscopy ....(this is the Gastronologist)...... Still considered a revision even if i dont get into a clinical trial ....Cigna said that even though they have the exclusion for Weightloss surgery...if the surgeon says its a medical neccesity and I have proof then they will cover it.  Any ideas on what my next step should be ?
Beachbumm
on 2/27/08 5:31 am - Someplace, LA
Hey!  How are you???  We spoke recently remember and we are in the same boat..... I am having my EGD Monday and I am praying that I will hear some good news. I don't know what the next step is either but like I said, sounds like you and I are the exact same situation so we can help one another! Let me know what you are going to do! Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/27/08 5:53 am - Knoxville, TN

Hi and yes I remember .... I am ok kinda groggy and my throat is sore from the endoscopy ....They found a hiatal hernia on my pouch ....and it is the size of my fist (Pouch is) he is gonna schedule me a colonoscopy .,.....and told me to make sure whatever surgeon I choose is respectable and has a good reputation.  I am currently talkin to the girl at Columbia in NYC they have the Rose Procedure on hold ..but it isnt closed and she is getting me info on the Hiatal hernia and how it will effect the RNY Pouch.  she said she has access to articles that I dont have access to ....and hasbeen so very helpful...... also have been talkin to Dr Weiss office in Georgetown KY ...they too are gettin ready to do the ROSE procedure trial .....have to fax info in to them ..they have some forms I have to fill out and fax and will take it from there ...This would be alot closer than NYC. Ohhhh Cigna told me at first that WLS was excluded but told today that yes it was but however if there is a medical neccessity then it would be covered 38.8 BMI   Sleep Apnea ....Stretched Pouch ...Borderline high blood pressure ....Diet Controlled diabetes ....restless Syndrome....OSteoarthritis ..all over .....beginning stages of Osteoporosis....Think I qualify as Medical Neccessity .....Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and the back pain and crap....and family history of major heart problems .... THanks for Responding ...all of you

darnell239
on 2/27/08 5:37 am - Columbia, SC
I am planning to have an endoscopy soon (waiting for a date).  Can you tell me if the procedure was painful after you came out of anethesia?  Also, how much did you have to pay up front for the procedure?
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/27/08 5:56 am - Knoxville, TN
I have Primary and Secondary Insurance so I didnt have to pay anything for the Upper GI Series or the Upper Endoscopy ..... Pain wasnt bad ....was pretty groggy ...and my throat is still sore ....they said it probably be sore for at least 24 hrs .... I dont remember anything after they put the heart monitor on me ...hooked up the IV needle ....gave me oxygen .....and turned me over to my side and that was the last thing I remember ...... OHHHHHHHHH they will spray your throat with some numbing stuff ....NASTYYYYYYY....but you wont notice it but fora minute or two then you are out.
kmbear
on 2/27/08 8:59 am - Coeur D Alene, ID
I am getting the endoscopy done on March 4th, 2008. I had the VBG done in September 2003 and have had alot of vomiting and trouble losing weight a year after surgery. Didn't know I needed to get scoped when food was stuck or couldn't eat for all the vomiting. I also had a abdominal ct scan on Feb. 25th, 2008. Would  like to get a revision to a RNY, I don't want to give up on weight loss. Was told needed to get WLS records from surgeon and the 2 tests done and then I guess I see what's next.
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/28/08 8:57 am - Knoxville, TN
Goood Luck with everything and hope you start feeling better  Hugs  Cheryl
kmbear
on 2/28/08 10:13 am - Coeur D Alene, ID
Thank you so much and I am so happy to get replys and know I am not going to struggle alone anymore.
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/28/08 10:28 am - Knoxville, TN
Same here ...I feel like I have enough going on to get a revision approved without the Hiatal Hernia ....Not sure how that is gonna fit in with the plans for the revision ....I just hope it will give them more of a reason to approve me ... Cheryl adn you are never alone when ya are on OH
OnMyWay3
on 3/18/08 3:38 am - NY
I'm nearly 6 weeks post-op and suddently can't eat anything other than applesauce, yogurt and water.  I was able to do oatmeal, pureed carro****ermelon and other things before, now it's nothing.  They think it's a stricture (sp?) and want to do an endoscopy asap.  Any help or advice?
Most Active