The ROSE procedure

Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/29/08 5:25 am - Knoxville, TN
Hey ...its me will be a week out tomorrow ....and have lost 12 lbs so far .... Good luck with your surgery ...you will be fine with the clear liquids ..thought it was gonna kill me ...grrr but I made it thru now i am on full liquids and its alot better......SO FAR ....
sholy
on 4/29/08 6:06 am - KY
Cheryl, THAT is wonderful news! I am so happy for you. It has been a long time since i have been able to lose 12 lbs! I hope I can do it. ACK....head hunger is a problem for me.  Does it feel like it did after RNY when you get full quickly and stay full?  I am having a gallbladder removal and possible internal hernia fix on Thursday and then the ROSE a few weeks later. FUN FUN FUN. Keep up the good work and let us know how its going!!! Donna
gzimmerman1951
on 6/28/09 4:46 am - Cedar Hill, TX
considering the ROSE.  How has it been?

Please tell me all about the procedure and your success.

Thanks,  GZ  [email protected]
msdeeva94
on 4/29/08 11:08 am
Hello everyone,  I live in Columbus, Ohio and will be having the Rose done in Georgetown, Ky by Dr. Weiss.  I was supposed to have consults with the dr, nutritionist and interest yesterday but I got a call on Monday stating that they needed to reschedule.  There were so many confusing things going on I almost backed out all together.  I then received a call from Tracy telling me that they had scheduled me for my consults on the 13th of May and then the next day on the 14th I would have the Rose done.  This was great for me because the traveling is a monster with the gas prices.  I am really excited and ready to this done. 
catbert
on 5/6/08 6:11 am - MN
I had my ROSE procedure on April 22 out of the Cinncinati Weight Loss Center by Drs. Watkins and Mobley.  First week was full liquids.  Week 2 and 3 are soft foods.  I completed week 2 and starting week 3 of my soft food diet.
  At this stage, I must say I am HIGHLY disappointed.  I have not lost one pound and actually gained 1.5 pounds.  You may be asking how this can happen.  I am asking that as well.  I work out 4-5 times per week for 45-60 minutes.  Eating the soft foods slowly with no liquids before, during or after.  The difference is that I do not feel full at all.  I am able to eat the same amount as I did pre ROSE with the only difference being that the food is soft.
I am wondering if my stomach is stretchier or more elastic than what it looked like under the scope when they did the procedure.  They only put in 1 anchor in the pouch and 2 around the stoma.  I am still able to swallow 6-7 pills with zero issues. 
I emailed the docs today about my concerns over the elasticity of the pouch & stoma and that perhaps when they looked under the scope they didn't realize that the lining is actually stretchier than what appeared under the scope.  I'm not sure what is going on, but hopefully I 'll find out soon. 
I paid $14,000 out of my own pocket with the understanding that my pouch and stoma were being put back to where they were post gastric bypass I had 6 years ago.
HoopersJudge
on 8/18/08 1:42 pm - hamilton, NJ
On May 6, 2008 at 1:11 PM Pacific Time, catbert wrote:
I had my ROSE procedure on April 22 out of the Cinncinati Weight Loss Center by Drs. Watkins and Mobley.  First week was full liquids.  Week 2 and 3 are soft foods.  I completed week 2 and starting week 3 of my soft food diet.
  At this stage, I must say I am HIGHLY disappointed.  I have not lost one pound and actually gained 1.5 pounds.  You may be asking how this can happen.  I am asking that as well.  I work out 4-5 times per week for 45-60 minutes.  Eating the soft foods slowly with no liquids before, during or after.  The difference is that I do not feel full at all.  I am able to eat the same amount as I did pre ROSE with the only difference being that the food is soft.
I am wondering if my stomach is stretchier or more elastic than what it looked like under the scope when they did the procedure.  They only put in 1 anchor in the pouch and 2 around the stoma.  I am still able to swallow 6-7 pills with zero issues. 
I emailed the docs today about my concerns over the elasticity of the pouch & stoma and that perhaps when they looked under the scope they didn't realize that the lining is actually stretchier than what appeared under the scope.  I'm not sure what is going on, but hopefully I 'll find out soon. 
I paid $14,000 out of my own pocket with the understanding that my pouch and stoma were being put back to where they were post gastric bypass I had 6 years ago.
I'd sooner pay $14k for a lap band over my pouch than to get this rose procedure. I am getting the stomaphyx because my insurance is covering it. my expenses would be a few thousand max. if i had to pay for the stomaphyx, around $15k, i would not get it either. why pay $10k to lose 30lbs when you can get the lap band for a few thousand more and lose much more weight?
Rosey25
on 11/4/08 4:56 am - MA
Had the Rose procedure 7/30/08 from Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, MA and lost 23 lbs.  I, too, am very disappointed in the results.  I suffered through 2 weeks of liquids and was starving most of the time.  Soft foods were ok, but still very hungry.  Progressed to solids and could eat fine most of the day except for dinner, which was just a spoon of veggies and an ouce of protein.  Kept food diaries faithfully and I only ate a maximum of 450 to 500 cals a day and didn't lose any weight for weeks on end.  It is very frustrating.  Had another endoscope last week to find out that my stomach had stretched from the fixed size (don't know the exact measurements) and that the stoma was small.  I don't know what to do anymore.  My appetite is back in a big way and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want.  The doctor said to eat bulkier foods but I am hungry all the time.  Probably even more than before. 

Is it true that we can get a band around our bypassed stomachs?  If someone had told me that, I would have done it because it is much more controllable.  Can we get it now after having this procedure?  When I went to my original GB surgeon, they told me to "use the tool I had been given" that other procedures were too risky.  They don't know what it's like.  They just don't know what it's all about.

Please respond - someone.
catbert
on 11/6/08 2:22 am - MN
Sounds like the ROSE procedure worked for a bit since you lost 23 pounds.  I didn't lose any and my appetitie, like yours, was just as big as ever.  I have continued, albeit slowly, to gain weight.  I go back in for a revision of the ROSE on Dec 12 - hopefully.  I say hopefully, becuase if the new equipment is not ready it will be postponed.  The doctor believes that the pouch is fine, but the stoma (food outlet) is still too big and is letting food out too quickly so I am hungry faster.  I believe this to be true as well, because I can eat a normal size helping of food, but in about an hour or hour and a half, I'm hungry again.

I haven't heard about the band going around the bypass.  Keep me updated if you hear more about it.  I'll let you know how the 12 of Dec goes.
momelrod
on 12/9/08 5:35 am
 i had my rose 3/7/08 as part of the study and have the same issues as you-lost 20lb,gaining it back slowly.i am initially full right away then am hungary all the time.is their any help! i have never heard back from dr watkins michele elrod cincinnati ohio
catbert
on 12/9/08 6:10 am - MN
You likely need more anchors around the stoma.  Keep calling either Dr. MObley or his wife Tammy.  I've found the entire clinic to be extremely helpful in getting me back in with the newly revised equipment. 
Most Active