ABC's of Revision IV Everybody deserves a second chance!

Dr.Schlesinger
on 2/27/08 2:15 pm
Shiela, The procedures are conceptually very similar. RESTORE, ROSE, EROS use different materials to secure the pleats. The three investigational procedures claim that the materials they employ, allow the stoma itself to be pleated. As I wrote in my explanation of the Stomaphyx procedure, this is a difference that makes NO difference. Stomphyx is the only procedure that the FDA does NOT consider investigational. If you want a free procedure and are willing to run the risk of having a sham operation (no pleats as the control group) then see if you can get a place in the trial. Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
KIMBERLY W.
on 2/27/08 7:50 pm - Florence, MA
Dr. S, Thanks so much for all your help on the boards, You are the first surgion on these boards to pay it foward and help ud...this is a win win situation for us all. I was/ am in the RESTORe trial and I am a sham pt. I am opting for the procedure but have a few ? being my pouch is 5cm wide and 6 cm long, and my stoma is 3.5 cm would this procedure help at all. I think i will be full longer but I  am not to sure about my pouch is it to big? will the sutures help w/ the pouch size a little. I feel like my rny has given me the full bennifit from day 1, I was always hungry and never could find my full spot.  so maybe from day 1 I was left a lil to big? thans  for your input. OH I am seeing Dr. thompson in Boston.          KIM
Dr.Schlesinger
on 2/27/08 10:35 pm
Kim,
Based on my experience with Stomaphyx, you are an excellent candidate for endoluminal surgery.
Good luck!

Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS
AZ Weight Loss Solutions
ShielaC.
on 2/29/08 9:43 am
Bluebird
on 2/29/08 2:15 pm - long beach, CA
Dr. S, thank you so much for your support thru this.  Do you have a collegue in Southern Calif that you would refer?  Someone who understands this the way you do? Thanks so much, Cathy
criddle0103
on 3/3/08 2:57 am - Conover, NC
("The revision of a "classic Rny" to a highly malabsorptive operation can be more safely accomplished by revising it into a highly malabsorptive Rny (ERny). This procedure moves the Y downstream. It is the LEAST risky of all the revisions to a highly malabsorptive procedure as neither the pouch nor the stoma is touched. You gain the vast majority of the advantages of revision to a DS with only a small fraction of the risks. ") I am having this revision performed on March 10, 2008.  My surgeon is Dr. Roc Bauman in Concord, North Carolina.  What sort of weight loss should I expect?  Will I lose more slowly than after a standard RNY?   I would appreciate any and all information / advice you can offer! Sincerely, Crystal Robinson
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/08 7:13 am - KY
I have read so very many posts of unhappy, unsuccessful people who had the lapband and the rny and even those who had unsuccessful lapbands over rny.  This is why I had decided on having my medial open RNY revised to a DS........but you talk about it being risky and this scares me.  I weigh 280, am 5'6", 57 year old female and I guess you could say I am a addict of pastries, cakes, etc.  I can eat an entire peppridge farm cake at once or even a 12 inch sub.  I could at 3 months out.  I hear nothing but bad results from everything except a revision to DS, where they ALL seem to be happy.  What would you do in my case, considering my age and needing to lose 120 lbs.  and somewhat lack of compliance regarding sweets.  What very little dump syndrome I had, I just ignored.  I have a stretched stomach and stoma....what would you recommend to me based on what little you know?  I started asking Dr. Husted to do a DS revision.....but is it good to make my own decision about what surgery I have just based on reading everybody's unhappy posts?  Thanks, Pat in Kentucky
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/18/08 4:53 am
The risk is about the same for RNY or DS initially, but revision surgery does carry more risk. That is why it is particularly important to have a surgeon skilled in revisions if you choose that. While the ERNY may be easier for a surgeon to revise to initially, it has all the negatives of both types of surgery, which would give you a poorer quality of life than the DS. Dr. Husted is a very good surgeon, and skilled in revisions, so if that's who you choose, you are in good hands.
ellenlanc
on 6/21/09 12:32 pm - Sun City, AZ

Dr Schlesinger, I like Joyce, had my Gastric bypass surgery was done by Dr Zhan. My surgery was in April of 2004... My highest weight was 230 and lowest was 150. I was admitted to the hospital terrible pain from gastritis and irritable bowels in 2008. The hospital doctor was thought I needed some type surgery for my bowels, however the GI doctor that my regular doctor sent me to did not see it. She did the scope at both end. She found sings of a peptic ulcer,  pockets in my colon treated me for peptic ulcer and irritable bowel syndrom. The treatment included  prescribed  daily use of prescriptions laxatives, a anti acid med. Dr Zhan, treated for a peptic ulcer found as he did my Gastric bypass as well.

Since these issues in 2008 I have constipation up to three to four days, heart burn off and and I put on 45 pounds it there a revision surgery that will work for me. I really do not want to reach that 200 pounds again.

Thank you

Ellen Lancaster

Most Active