REVISION FROM RNY TO LAP BAND

SophieGrace
on 2/25/08 3:11 am - IL
I still do not see the "bashing" that you seem to be finding. Since when is stating a personal opinion considered so threatening? Your screen must show something that mine does not.

SophieGrace 

Anita
on 2/25/08 9:26 am
I wasn't talking about this particular thread....I was referring to some of the threads I've seen over the past month or so. I have no problem with someone's personal opinion as long as it isn't telling another person they are stupid, wrong, misguided, etc...for choosing something else. We're all in this boat together...... Have a great evening. Anita

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Sharon T.
on 2/24/08 5:10 am - Southern , WI
I really hope you research ALL of your options, and like the one poster said, find a doctor, who does all of the surgeries, and see what he/or she, reccommeds. As for foreign objects, in your body, I have had my band for over 4 years, and had no problems, I also, have 2 prosthetic hips, and 2 prosthetic knees, and 2 replaced lenses, in my eyes! I've had no problems, with my foreign objects. I hope all works out for you, hon!~ 

At goal, 155 bs. Started at 290. 7 years out! WAHOO~ 

Anita
on 2/24/08 6:56 am
Sharon....you are our favorite bionic woman!!!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Sharon T.
on 2/24/08 7:12 am - Southern , WI

I think I have the wrong kind of Bionics!

At goal, 155 bs. Started at 290. 7 years out! WAHOO~ 

VickiStevens
on 2/24/08 10:00 am - Tacoma, WA
I can't speak for everyone, but the band has been fabulous for me.  I have lost 100% of my excess weight.  My surgery was over 5 years ago. If your surgeon does all the surgeries and he is recommending the band, it is probably the right choice for you.  If you are uncertain why he is recommending it, schedule another appointment and discuss it further until you are comfortable with his recommendation. If you surgeon does not do all of the surgeries, make an appointment with one who does and discuss all options and then make your decision. Remember, the more knowedgable you are - the better informed your decision - the better chance for success, regardless of the surgery. Good luck on your decision.
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
SophieGrace
on 2/24/08 10:16 pm - IL
I don't know where people are seeing bashing. I stated a personal opinion.  Everyone is entitled to his/her own.

SophieGrace 

kwheen tee
on 2/25/08 12:25 am - INGLEWOOD, CA
I just wanted to say thank you to all of those who took the time to give me some insight to the many different procedures that are available.  I have been looking over a variety of the differsnt procedures that  are offered. Am I sure at this point what  I will do exactly? My answer would be no. I have another appt with the surgeon in about 2 wks. SO some of my reservations, questions, and options will be dicsussed at that time. What ever my decision will be, I will come back and post about it. It was hard enought o make this decision to put my body through a second round of surgery. Never even reaching my goal rate has been a disappointment. I am looking forward to going into the different forums as well. Once again thank you guys all for coming through with some sound advice.

~~~~Kwheen~~~~

Matata 2
on 2/25/08 8:03 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Kwheen, I had RNY 9/2004 and lost about 110 lbs. before I began to have some "issues". It was about 2 years out when I began to feel like my stoma was stretched out. I began having problems with my bowels and going TOO OFTEN each day. I was also struggling with anemia and keeping my ferritin levels up -- to the point where I had to have IV iron infusions for 8 weeks. I started my personal process by reevaluating my own habits --i was being honest with myself. I stopped the bad habits that had krept back into my life, such as sweets (chocolate), liquid calories (lattes), and drinking with meals. I also increased my exercise back to about 5 days per week from zero times weekly. I did this for about a year and found it made little difference. This confirmed to me things weren't right inside. I began the process with my surgeon to determine the problem and what my options were for revision. My Dr. wanted me to do schlerotherapy, but I found that this would be difficult to have insurance cover and I would have to travel out of state. I was worried that if my insides stretched out once...what would keep that from reoccurring? I asked about LAP over RNY as an option. I felt that increasing the malabsorptive qualities of my tool would increase my anemia problems, and I wasn't trusting the idea of scarring my stoma lasting.  I had the lap band placed over my RNY this past October. I have lost 32 pounds and all my bowel issues have been corrected by slowing the rapid movement of food through my system. Is this the right decision??? It is working for me...I believe that is the key here. We are all different and fortunate to have so many options at our disposal, given that they still haven't come up with the "magic pill"! Fills can be a hassle, but it is all relative. I am working aggressively with my Band Dr. and had restriction with my second fill (which I had increased 2 weeks following my first fill). Lap over RNY is not exactly the same as just having the lap band. It is basically restoring the restrictive nature of your RNY. I have found that my pouch and stoma had more flexibility before I got the band added. If I take a sip of water too soon after eating it causes pain, discomfort, or vomitting (which is a different process for RNYers compared to still having a connection to the native stomach). I gues I would suggest discussing revision options with your doctor, along with a realistic look at all the issues that are affecting you. How much weight did you loose after your original WLS? How was your successes/challenges connected to your behavior (changing habits, adding in exercise, watching liquid calories, etc.). We have to remember, all the WLS options are TOOLS and can be used appropriately and/or abused. And then we have the unknown factoirs from our individual anatomies that impact how well a procedure may work for each of us. Good luck in your contiued journey!
Matata 2  Pre-op 320/Current 152/Goal 132  
Most Active