REVISION FROM RNY TO LAP BAND

BuckeyeSylvia
on 2/23/08 2:31 pm - Small Town, OH
I would find a surgeon in your area who does the band, the RNY, and the DS...then ask that surgeon which he/she feels is the best option.  A doctor who doesn't perform all of these procedures will not give you a well informed insight.  Furthermore, if you're unable to succeed with the RNY and the diet post life, how would the band improve this?

HW/SW/CW/GW    231/225/123/130-125
~Surgeon's Goal of Normal BMI reached at 6 months Post Op~
~Personal Goal Range achieved at less than 10 months Post Op~

BBoop
on 2/23/08 2:58 pm, edited 2/23/08 2:59 pm
There are a number of fine surgeons in CA that perform revisions to the DS.  highly recommend this arrangment instead of another surgery that can and does have a high failure rate such as a lap band. Please go to duodenalswitch.com and read about the DS.  The weight loss is greater and is maintained for the longest period of time.  Many RNYers have had revisions to a DS.  It is a complicated surgery but it is so worth it.  Also please note that the surgeons listed on duodenalswitch are fully vetted and are highly reputable.  It is a private site and docs can't pay to be on it like here on OH.  I'm having a revision on 2/26 in MN with a doc who pioneered the DS.  I wanted to be able to eat a large variety of foods, take antiinflamatory drugs if I need them (I'm 62) and I didn't want to gain my weight back. Keep researching and don't let your doc make the decision for you.  This is your body, your life and for goodness sakes we all want to live it to the fullest. Best of luck to you, Betty
taw1975
on 2/23/08 10:38 pm - DFW, TX
Ignore the anti band propaganda and research all your choices.  We have a lot of successful Bandsters just as there are successful DSers, RNYers, Sleeves, etc.  The band will be placed on the pouch to give you the restriction needed.  Best of luck to you in your journey forward. Tonya

melati
on 2/24/08 12:21 am - Miami, FL
There is no evidence that NSAIDS are bad for other surgery types. You will find more than one opinion on this--just like with carbonated drinks.
Anita
on 2/24/08 2:15 am
My recommendation is to discuss all options with your doctor and he or she is the best resource to advise you.  My band has been terrific (please ignore my signature line....I haven't been able to change it, so the stats are wrong). I've had zero problems and am enjoying life as I have not done in years....is it perfect??? No, but it's damn good and getting better. I am totally unaware of any apparatus inside my body and as long as I eat sensibly (this is a no brainer since I had this surgery to aid me in this quest) I'm comfortable and happy. ...As to having a foreign body inside you.....I guess that person will reject a pacemaker should they need it? my son was wounded during the Gulf War and has a metal rod in his leg...it was either that or they were going to amputate it............enuf said on that one, what about stents for heart conditions.....shall I go on?????  Personally speaking...and I mean PERSONALLY...cause that's what works for ME.......I'd rather have a band than have part of my anatomy removed, stapled, etc.....BUT, that's what works for me....what works for anyone else is wonderful and I applaud their decision to do something to improve their health.......and I wish everyone (including band, rny, ds, etc......ANYONE) would stop bashing each other over what boils down to total nonsense...bull**** and any other term you might care to assign to such childish behavior. I find it very sad that on a support board, there is less support than we find in the "outside" world. I ended a friendship because the person was as unpleasant and difficult as many of the responses I've been seeing here..........in her case it was pure jealousy....here, I just see it as being sad. Peace people!!!!!!!!!!!! It's enough....let's be supportive of each other so we can show the world that wls works and truly is a viable option for anyone suffering with morbid obesity. It's bad enough that the media makes us out to be nutcases and people who take the easy way out with gimicks............WE NEED TO BAND (pardon the expression) TOGETHER TO LET THE WORLD KNOW THAT (any and all  WLS WORKS. If anyone wants to flame me, please save your time, I'm not interested in getting into a ******g match...but if you must, then I'll just wish you a pleasant day if you have nothing better to do on a sunny Sunday. Anita

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

JRinAZ
on 2/24/08 8:15 am - Layton, UT
Great post Anita! I think each procedure can answer someone's individual needs.  I personally don't think any of the surgeries can be pedaled as the Miracle for each and every person!  ..... Congrats on your band!  That it's working for you is a testament to it's effectiveness.  I had a Revision to Extended Rny (some call it a Distal).  It's working great for me.  I think the thing that sets some of us off (me) is when someone jumps on this board and disses every other option cuz there's is the one and only solution!  NOT!!!!  The person with health issues, most likely can't have a DS.  Someone with a tiny pouch may not be a great candidate for a band over Rny!   I think the key is to tune out those who slip on this board aggressively.  Maybe take their info with a huge grain of salt, do some research, find a surgeon who offers all options and can give an intellgent suggestion.  Then... choose for YOURSELF! O.K. so I basically just said the same thing as you!  LOL!  I should have just said "here, here" and left it at that Keep up the good work!  ......  I'm 6 pounds from goal and am visiting new territory for me!  ......Shopping is in my future!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ms. Cal Culator
on 2/26/08 2:56 pm - Tuvalu
On February 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
Great post Anita! I think each procedure can answer someone's individual needs.  I personally don't think any of the surgeries can be pedaled as the Miracle for each and every person!  ..... Congrats on your band!  That it's working for you is a testament to it's effectiveness.  I had a Revision to Extended Rny (some call it a Distal).  It's working great for me.  I think the thing that sets some of us off (me) is when someone jumps on this board and disses every other option cuz there's is the one and only solution!  NOT!!!!  The person with health issues, most likely can't have a DS.  Someone with a tiny pouch may not be a great candidate for a band over Rny!   I think the key is to tune out those who slip on this board aggressively.  Maybe take their info with a huge grain of salt, do some research, find a surgeon who offers all options and can give an intellgent suggestion.  Then... choose for YOURSELF! O.K. so I basically just said the same thing as you!  LOL!  I should have just said "here, here" and left it at that Keep up the good work!  ......  I'm 6 pounds from goal and am visiting new territory for me!  ......Shopping is in my future!
. . You have a source for this, or is it just your opinion? The person with health issues, most likely can't have a DS. And "health issues?"  Isn't that a little vague?  And do the DS surgeons know that they shouldn't be operating on people with these unspecified "health issues?"  Because an awful lot of morbidly obese people are actually sick and yet some of those "health issues" are the very reason their insurances pay for the procedure. Yo mention that the thing that sets some of us off (me) is when someone jumps on this board and disses every other option cuz there's is the one and only solution!  which is, of course, not what I'm doing.  But since we're sharing, one thing that gets to me is misinformation spread by people who neither perform the surgery nor live with it and who pretend to have a clue.  That gets old very fast.
Sue
JRinAZ
on 2/26/08 10:20 pm - Layton, UT

You asked for a source of my "opinion/information".  ......  It came from you DS'ers who post on this board!  ....  On a regular basis, someone from the DS forum posts links to the DS sites with lists of the surgeon's who perform DS.  In going to "their" individual websites, there is indeed much information to be found. To sum it up.....the surgeon's who do the DS say in one way or the other that the DS is NOT for everyone and that in some cir****tances a DS is NOT advised as a Revision.  .....  And, 3 Bariatric surgeon's from 3 different practices advised me against a DS!  ....  ....  Could I have found a surgeon across the globe to revise me to a DS?  Probably!  Money speaks volumes.  .... And, having the lower half of a DS (common channel), I know of many of the problems that a DS has to deal with.  It's the DS part of me that isn't at all happy right now.  The Rny part of me seems very happy   But, as a combination....I am defnitely getting results.....just 5 pounds from goal.... O.K. so did we wear this out?  You win....DS is a fantastic surgery!  ....  Everyone wins....when they are given the respect they are due for making an intelligent choice!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 2/26/08 11:05 pm - Tuvalu
On February 27, 2008 at 6:20 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:

You asked for a source of my "opinion/information".  ......  It came from you DS'ers who post on this board!  ....  On a regular basis, someone from the DS forum posts links to the DS sites with lists of the surgeon's who perform DS.  In going to "their" individual websites, there is indeed much information to be found. To sum it up.....the surgeon's who do the DS say in one way or the other that the DS is NOT for everyone and that in some cir****tances a DS is NOT advised as a Revision.  .....  And, 3 Bariatric surgeon's from 3 different practices advised me against a DS!  ....  ....  Could I have found a surgeon across the globe to revise me to a DS?  Probably!  Money speaks volumes.  .... And, having the lower half of a DS (common channel), I know of many of the problems that a DS has to deal with.  It's the DS part of me that isn't at all happy right now.  The Rny part of me seems very happy   But, as a combination....I am defnitely getting results.....just 5 pounds from goal.... O.K. so did we wear this out?  You win....DS is a fantastic surgery!  ....  Everyone wins....when they are given the respect they are due for making an intelligent choice!

. . . Wear it out?  Not yet. Thank you for explaining that when you say, "The person with health issues, most likely can't have a DS," you are merely paraphrasing something you think you read about a particular surgery and NOT saying that The person with health issues, most likely can have some other surgery...because that, of course, is what you are implying...and it's wrong. Given the number of possible health issues on the planet, there are certainly people who should not have the DS...just as there are people who should not have the RnY or the band.  But you left that part out, because...? It's easy to find bariatric surgeons who don't recommend the DS.  All you have to do is go to any surgeon NOT on this list: http://duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html Again, my goal is to correct the MISinformation usually spread by the MISinformed.  When I see garbage presented as fact, I challenge it.  Sue
goldilocksinnc
on 2/24/08 9:12 am - Jacksonville, NC
Wow!  All I can say is AMEN!  Bickering about what type of surgery is the best is so devisive and completely defeats the purpose of even having a support group or message board.   Initial WLS surgery and revision surgery is a very personal decision and from what everything I have read tells me, there are a person's individual cir****tance is what warrants the specific type of revision that he or she has.  Again--BRAVO for your beautifully articulated post!! Susan
Most Active