REVISION FROM RNY TO LAP BAND

kwheen tee
on 2/22/08 3:19 am - INGLEWOOD, CA
Hello to all. I have been around here lurking for a while on this board. I have been thinking about a revision for a while. Any who to make a long story short. I  have had an appointment this week with a surgeon to see what we could do. Things are moving so swiftly, I am in awe of how things are working themselves out. The Dr. has already started the process for me. I have a psych eval on next wednesday. And I have just recieved my referrals for my cardiology clearance and for some testing with the gastroentrologist. My question is has any one here had a revision from a rny to the band? I was asking him about some of the other procedures but because of my age and my health which is pretty good. He informed me that this will be my best option. Any input,  or advice will be appreciated.

~~~~Kwheen~~~~

SophieGrace
on 2/22/08 11:00 pm - IL

You don't say why you need a revision.

Personally, I do not want that hunk of plastic in my abdominal cavity.  While I realize that there have been some improvements made, I have heard too many horror stories about that thing eroding, migrating, breaking, etc.  I saw a picture on one in place on an actual stomach...... NO.

Depending on the need for your revision, have you considered any other revisions?  There are the RESTORe and ROSE procedures, for starters.  Both are investigational, but it was the ROSE (sometimes called EROS) that led me to NYC and Dr. Herron, who diagnosed my staple-line disruption (among other things).  What I got was a complete revision of my RNY, complete with very small new pouch.  After a bumpy start, I am now down about 17 pounds it seems.  Can't be sure, since my scale isn't the same as Dr. Herron's, but that's not too bad for 17 days after a revision surgery. I know there are people who are very happy with their bands.  However, all the fills and BS that go with that thing were enough to make me realize I did not want it. Good luck to you.

SophieGrace 

KRWaters
on 2/23/08 2:52 pm - Manteca, CA
In checking out to have a band over my failed RnY, I ran into the DS forum. What an amazing site. My local surgeon suggested I have the band, but I definitely changed my mind after finding the DS forum. More of a chance of fail with the band and the RnY. Up to 55% will fail with the Rny. Why take that chance? Over 80% will get a more positive weight loss and better lifestyle overall with the DS. Rny failed me, I started gaining weight after a year and a half, never got to my goal. So now I am going to do it right. With the RnY, it is a crapshoot whether it will work for you or not. With the DS, a so much better chance of keeping it off and one can eat more normally and more choices of food. Never need to "diet" again with the DS. With the Rny or lap, you have to watch everything you eat every day, but with the DS, just enjoy life. Come to our board and check us out.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

LosingSally
on 2/23/08 8:30 pm
JROLFSON
on 2/25/08 3:35 am - St. George, UT
Hi KR: Who has said there is no need to ever diet again with the DS? I don't believe that is entirely true. I believe if you eat sweets that you can still gain weight with the DS. And as far as I'm concerned if you can't eat sweets that's a diet. I don't believe any weight loss surgery is a 100% sure fix, there is always a % of work on the patients part. If you don't believe that, you should ask your physician, I believe WLS is a tool not a 100% fix. Don't mean to bring you down, just want to bring you to reality. JR
KRWaters
on 2/26/08 10:24 pm - Manteca, CA
Okay, may I over stated that statement, but a lot of DSers DO NOT DIET at all, jus****ch what you eat and some eat a lot of carbs and still lose. Some may be do have to be more vigilant. Each person is different as always.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

JROLFSON
on 2/28/08 3:53 am - St. George, UT
Yes, I agree with that all the way. Have you had a DS? I see under your picture your Dr. is listed as Ara Keshishian. I actually checked into having the DS with him, is he in Delano, CA. I understand he is very good doing the DS? Do you know more about that? DS does seem a great way to go, although a little scary, sounds more long lasting. I would love to here your insight on this. Thanks, JR
melati
on 2/23/08 5:31 am - Miami, FL

Band over bypass is absolutely the best treatment for a RNY that is no longer working. Any additional cutting surgery could eventually be stretched out again. A stretched band pouch can be treated with a total unfil, however. There are a few band over bypass pts on the lapband board doing well. Here is a lady who's had great success:   http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/mish/ Good luck!

Debbie B.
on 2/23/08 10:02 pm, edited 2/23/08 10:02 pm - Valparaiso, IN
Band over bypass is absolutely NOT the way to go. The failure rate of a band is even higher than that of an RNY, why go backwards when there is another much better option? If you're going to go thru surgery again why allow yourself to have another inferior surgery??? Reseach the DS, there is now alot of information on it. I'm a revision from a failed band to the DS and couldn't be happier. Good luck to you!
                           D e b  
PekinSal
on 2/23/08 5:56 am - UK
I'm with SophieGrace on this one I'm afraid. Have a look at the bandster board and see the issues bandsters face - in effect you're adding a whole set of other challenges to the ones you've already got! Not to say it won't work, but you might want to look into all the options (like Restore, limb adjustment, even DS) before you take the plunge. Best of luck Sally

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active