Revision Guidelines?

dsnydi
on 2/21/08 12:27 am
I had my surgery in Nov. 1999 I gained back 25-30 on my own and after having a baby I have an additional amount to lose.  As of now I'm 40+ pounds from my lowest weight. Is there a site out there that gives a list of general requirements for a revision?  Also if I had an open RNY in 1999 would they be able to do a revision via lap?
Beachbumm
on 2/21/08 4:28 am - Someplace, LA
Hi I had my surgery in 2002 (RNY)  and now I am about 45 pounds from my lowest weight too. I went to talk to a surgeon yesterday about a revision but because I told him about all of the complications I had after the RNY, he wasn't too thrilled to help me!  He did say that he would take a look at my pouch and my stoma via endoscopy, so I am waiting to hear back from them as to when my appt will be......I will let you know if I find anything out if you do the same. Thanks! Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
dsnydi
on 2/21/08 4:33 am
I definitely will.  Thanks so much.  Can I ask what your complications are?  I don't really have many of those.  I am just thinking about it since my weight is up 40 pounds right now.  20 of that is baby weight that I'm hoping to lose soon though.  
Beachbumm
on 2/21/08 5:30 am - Someplace, LA
Sure......well I was readmitted to the hospital when I was 3 weeks post op for severe dehydration and malnutrition.....plus I had an abscess in my abdomen  from the surgery...which was extremely painful! I had to have a central line put in and was put on TPN for 3 weeks (this is a large IV that feeds you everything you need to live IV). I was miserable..... Then, I developed 2 strictures not long after getting out of the hospital.  They had to do 2 EGD's to enlarge the stoma so I could eat but I vomited on and off for the first year.. Now, I am actually thinking about a revision....can you believe it?  My family is like "do NOT even mention the word surgery around us!"   LOL Oh well, I refuse to regain all of this weight! Thanks for replying Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
ginau
on 2/21/08 9:38 am - mesa, AZ
1st call your insurance comp and ask them ! they will tell you !  2nd - personally I would not want a revision done lap procedure - You want the Dr to see whats in ther and how much he has to work with - What if he grabbed the wrong limb ??? 3rd - the more co-morbidiites you have the bigger the case for revision is ! sleep apnea, back & kneee pain,  etc......
Most Active