Band Removal covered by insurance?

BAJenkns
on 2/21/08 2:36 am - Yorktown, VA
I have been having complications related to the band in conjunction with a throat surgery I had done 5 months after the band was done.  As a result I have dys***ia (difficulty swallowing).  If the band is loosened to less than 5cc's I don't have the problem, but then the band doesn't do me any good, I can eat around it.  If I go tighter, foods feel as though they are stuck and I get sick on 50% of my meals.  If I fill the band to 7.5 cc's I get sick on about 80% of my meals.  My Lap Band Dr. thinks at 7.5 cc's I am still fairly loose and so we are stumped as to what to do.  I am thinking of having the band removed, but I paid out of pocket for it to be put in.  I am wondering if anyone out there has Cigna Insurance, and if they paid to have the band put in did anyone get Cigna insurance to pay for removal, if so how did you get that approved?  If I can get insurance to pay for removal, I may go back later and have gastric by pass - I will have to really evaluate that.  But I can't afford to pay for anything else now!
I appreciate anything anyone can offer.
Distressed by all this,
Beth
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 2/21/08 4:06 am - 128 Belt, MA
call Cigna and find out.  The Cigna policy I have won't cover any bariatrics at all...If i switch to BCross then the doc said they will pay to have it taken out and converted to a RNY. I would start with a phonecall. good luck.
BAJenkns
on 2/21/08 4:24 am - Yorktown, VA
I contacted Blue Cross about 3 years ago for individual coverage, and they wouldn't even talk to me on the phone.  They asked my age, height, and weight and said sorry, we won't insure you because I was too large!  So I don't think they can help me.  I think I will have my Dr. contact Cigna, and push the issue on my behalf.  He can show them all the testing I have had done to try to alleviate my issues, even so much as to have my throat dilated (stretched) to make it larger for swallowing, and that didn't help.  I am sick of all of this at this point. Thank you for your thoughts though.  I appreciate it. Beth
LizMoore
on 2/22/08 12:44 am - San Diego, CA
I hope u can get the lapband removal approved,,I have united healthcare,,luckily my company has great coverage and I got approved and monday had the band removed and RNY done,,I just got home yesterday,,I hated my band and put it with it for 3 1/2 yrs
happy girl
on 2/21/08 12:49 pm
If it's medically necessary they probably will pay for the removal.  You sound like you have a great case, make sure your doctor puts a good letter together to the insurance co

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Most Active