6.5 Yrs Post RNY~ Looking for Revision Advice???

walking4wishes
on 2/17/08 10:49 am - Murrieta , CA
05/2001 I had RNY in San Diego, minor complications since. About 2.5 yrs. ago I began to gain weight not much just seemed to plateau at 125/130. I continued a very active lifestyle and watched food intake very closely, so I need assistance in trying to make some sense of things here. As of last month I know weigh 170 and have all my pre surgical symptoms back. Thus far I have gone back to visit the Gastroentorologist whom stated " yest 2 yrs ago yoru esophogeal sphyncter was abnormally loose but now you are too fat to have surgery sorry, try fasting to lose weight" ??? hummmm didnt sound right , so as of last friday I have had a CT ABD/PEL and this coming week I have an Upper GI then return to the surgeon for another consult. So far the possibility of having Barretts is not ruled out , however usually Barretts Pt.s loose weight not gain it. ????  Has anyone had RNY and has suffered similar complications? If so pls reply I am pretty much lost here because lap band was not available 6.5 yrs ago through my insurance and now here we are 6.5 yrs later and the same surgeions dont know what to do because they didnt feel complications would arise???
James G.
on 2/17/08 9:10 pm - Eden Valley, MN
If you are considering a revision. Look at all types available. The Duodenal Switch procedure is possibly something you should consider. Look at this site. http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
Jim G.,   
OLD INFO:Now I finally broke the 300 lb mark 89 Pounds lost in 120 days !  
New info: Now 130 pounds lost and 2 years out.  Weight around 245 lbs.
My loving wife, Robin had DS Sept. 30, 2008 and has lost about 130 lbs. also.  Hey, thats 260 lbs. lost together.  We lost a person in there somewhere.

Beachbumm
on 2/18/08 2:04 am - Someplace, LA
Hi Oh we are in the same boat for sure!!! My RNY was May 2002.  I had so many freakin complications it would take me quite a while to write it all down!  Long story short, I went from 249 (day of my surgery) to 119.  Now, I am back up to 165 and gaining!  I know why I am gaining, because I eat all day long......but I am addicted to food!   Now, I am considering a revision.  Of course, my family said that if I ever mention the word "surgery" again they will kill me.....so, if my insurance company will pay for it, I am going to try to convince my hubby to let me do it....... Sorry, I don' t know much about Barretts, did you try to google it for more info? I wonder if anyone has ever had a lap band put in after having had RNy surgery??? Good luck to you. Lorri
melati
on 2/18/08 3:17 am - Miami, FL
You should read the post by Dr. Schlesinger about regain being nearly inevitable RNY Your intestines begin absorbing more nutrients. There are a few ppl on the lapband forum who have had bands placed over their RNY pouches and are doing well.
walking4wishes
on 2/18/08 3:57 am - Murrieta , CA
Thank you , really Thank You I cant quite say how much your posting and replies means.  To: Lori OMG thanks, I thought I was the only one, and would have to figure it all out on my own, my husband tells me everyday NO & NO regarding surgery. Most days I dont bother to complain of pain only because it would draw more attention and I dont want him thinking thats all I want. Thanks to my work and educational background I know I am not addicted to food, I have a pretty healthy relationship with food now in comparison to before my RNY. LOL ironically enough I am a Counsler Certified in Alocohol and Other Drugs, I spent 9 mos. last year specializing (certifiying) in Eating Disorders & ED Research. Lori I wish you all the best and if you ever want to just email me please do , I know right now I could use all the support I can get because each day is a new turn at "what next".
walking4wishes
on 2/18/08 3:58 am - Murrieta , CA
Jim and Julie thank you for the links they are very helpful.
FIREMANTRB
on 2/18/08 6:47 am - OH
Hey I'm sort of in the same boat.  Had open RNY in June 2002 and initially lost 255 pounds.  In the last year, I have gained 85 back.  I honestly try to watch what I eat, but hungary all the time.  I had my pounch measured 1 week ago at 2cm by 3cm and my stoma measure 1.76cm.  I desperately need help and advise????????? TIm in Southern Ohio
MaryTeresa
on 2/29/08 12:20 pm - Loveland, OH
Tim, I am in Loveland Ohio and am checking in to revision as well. I went from 455 to 235 now because of my pregnancies I am back @ 352 I cant even find a Dr to take Molina and they said they would cover it 100%.  I dont know what kind of insurence you have but Dr J Wesley Alexander is really a great Dr and takes most insurences he soes the revisions @ Christ Hospital the only reason he isnt doing mine is Christ hospital its self wont take Molina. So alot of us are in same boat.
FIREMANTRB
on 3/1/08 3:42 am - OH
Howdy Thanks for the info.  Where is Christ Hospital and how do I talk to Dr. Wesley?  What type of revisions does he do?
MaryTeresa
on 3/1/08 1:13 pm - Loveland, OH
Dr J Wesley Alexander  is as Christ hospital medical center 513-565-3636 and Chist hospital is right next to his office in Cincinnati they can give you directions. He is really a great Dr and listens to his patients.
Most Active