Does anyone know what your BMI must be for revision?

Beachbumm
on 2/13/08 10:00 pm - Someplace, LA
I have gained 40 pounds back but my BMI is only 28.  Does anyone know of anyone with a similar BMI who has been able to have a revision despite that?
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/13/08 10:24 pm - Knoxville, TN
I think it has to be at least 30 with co morbids or 40 without ..but not possitive Cheryl
Beachbumm
on 2/13/08 10:57 pm - Someplace, LA
Cheryl Thanks.  I know my BMI is not quite high enough, which makes me think, ok, do I need to gain some weight in order to meet the BMI??  Just kidding!!!  It does upset me though because I got down to 119, which ok, that was too much for me but I am now 165!!!!  That is not good for me!!! Thanks for your help. Lorri
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/14/08 3:35 am - Knoxville, TN
I wish I could have even gotten down to 165 the lowest I got was 187... my start weight was 430 my pre surgery weight was 365.....so I guess that wasnt too bad but I am still considered Obese and i dont like that word ..right now I am trying to get approved for the clinical trial Rose Procedure.  I meet criteria so far ...have tests  run tomorrow and the 27th to measure my pouch and my stoma.  to see if they meet their criteria.  Good luck with everything .... Cheryl
Beachbumm
on 2/14/08 4:39 am - Someplace, LA
Can you tell me more about the Rose Procedure?  I've heard about it and would love to learn more.....Oh, let me know what you find out too! Thanks!!! Lorri
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/14/08 4:49 am - Knoxville, TN

Lorri  I dont know alot about this procedure ..I do know that it will be endoscopically and that they sutured up the pouch and the stoma to make them smaller... ideally my pouch should be 30 mm for this procedure but the surgeons nurse practioner said they will do it on someone whose pouch is at least 20 mm ....i will find out for sure how big mine is with the upper GI Series and the Upper Endoscopy...... I will keep you informed. Cheryl

nicole1026
on 2/14/08 4:32 am - sayreville, NJ
hey i just came from my surgeons he said i def need a revison..  my pouch is totally stretched and i can eat more than some people that never had the surgery ever.. prob is im 5'7 200 and my bmi is 31.. he said he would do the revison on me im a good candidate but insurance denied it.. i have to have bmi 35 with co morbids.. im at 31 with a list of co morbidities.. now what/???
Beachbumm
on 2/14/08 4:37 am - Someplace, LA
Yeah, I totally know what you mean because it's like, ok, the surgeon can see if we have stretched the pouch and could use a revision, but then on paper, we don't look "big" enough!!!  Isn't that ridiculous?  I mean, if I thought gaining 10 pounds would get me where I need to be for the revision, I could probably do that! LOL  I know that sounds terrible to say though. BUT, I will not make myself gain a ton of weight (other than like 10 pounds) in order to qualify.   I think they should consider that we have had the surgery in the past and for that reason, consider a revision........ Let me know what happens....Good luck Lorri
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/14/08 4:51 am - Knoxville, TN
I think i would work on an appeal with the insurance company ...seems to me that if you are at least 30 bmi with the co-morbids then you should qualify for it .... I am 38 bmi ....I think my beginning was 75......
~~Sami~~ *.
on 2/14/08 5:32 am - Jacksonville, FL
A lot depends on your insurance company (assuming you want/need coverage). Mine requires a BMI of 40+ or 35 w/ comorbidities to cover a revision...which is insane IMHO.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active