List of DS Surgeons Performing Revisions (X-Post)

Vicki PNW
on 2/12/08 3:02 am

There have been numerous postings on the DS and Revision boards requesting names of WL surgeons who perform RNY-to-DS revisions.  Last fall, one of our other members, Karla H., did some research and compiled a list of DS surgeons who do or do not perform those revisions.  This list that is being posted here has since been updated as information from other members is posted on our boards.  Keep in mind that each individual DS surgeon should be contacted for other revisions to DS, such as lapband-to-DS (GLB-to-DS on this list).

List of DS Surgeons Doing Revisions (mainly RNY-to-DS revisions)

-  Dr. Crookes in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.
-  Dr. Cirangle in California has performed hundreds of DS procedures, including revisions from RNY.
-  Dr. Feng in California does not do RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Husted in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Jossart in California has done 150 DS surgeries and has done many revisions (as of 9/2007).
-  Dr. Keshishian in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions as well as GLB-to-DS revisions.  Members have reported that he is EXTREMELY anti-band!  However, he charges a $4K fee upfront for revisions that are not covered by insurance.  Plus, he requires his out-of-town patients to stay in town for up to 10 days after being released from the hospital.
-  Dr. Rabkin in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.
-  Dr. Gagner in Florida (formerly NY) performs RNY-to-DS revisions.  Members have reported that he is one of the best!
-  Dr. Maynard in Georgia performs DS but in his response did not mention revisions.  Did encourage a member to attend seminar for more questions.  However, another member reported in 12/2007 that he does not do RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Smith in Georgia performs DS as well but it is unclear if he also does RNY-to-DS revisions.  One member thinks he does while another doesn't think so.
-  Dr. Alverdy in Illinois evaluates case-by-case but he is very selective.
-  Dr. Prachand in Chicago does RNY-to-DS revisions only if the BMI is over 50.
-  Dr. Inman in Indiana has done only 20 RNY-to-DS revisions (as of 9/2007) but has done more since then.
-  Dr. Warden in Louisiana has revised a lot of people who have failed RNY by making what is usually a large pouch into a smaller pouch and sometimes extending the limb length to increase malabsorption.
-  Dr. Schweitzer in Maryland performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to a member on the DS board.
-  Dr. Lutrzykowski in Michigan wants RNY op reports before he decides if he will do revisions.
-  Dr. Schlosser in Minnesota is no longer working in Minnesota. She is overseas at the moment (9/2007) and will be for several months.  She is not returning to the state and is no longer doing DS.
-  Dr. Buchwald in Minnesota performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.  One member thinks he performs revisions on a case-to-case basis.
-  Dr. Anthone in Nebraska stopped doing RNY-to-DS revisions in 2006.  However, one member reported that he probably still performs GLB-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Greenbaum in New Jersey has performed more than 100 RNY-to-DS revisions.  Several members have mentioned that he is an excellent surgeon, especially for RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Inabnet in NYC performs RNY-to-DS revisions and has performed hundreds of DS, according to a member on the DS board.
-  Dr. Roslin in New York does DS.  However, when doing a revision from RNY, he makes it a distal RNY.  But he does not do RNY-to-DS.
-  Dr. Shah in NYC does revisions on a case-to-case basis.
-  Dr. Anderson in Ohio does not do revisions.
-  Dr. Hess in Ohio is retired now.
-  Dr. Lane in Ohio usually does RNY-to-DS for those with higher BMI but determines on case-to-case basis.
-  Dr. Maguire in Ohio does not do RNY-to-DS revisions but does a distal RNY.  He told a member on the Revision board that he used to do the RNY-to-DS revisions for patients who insisted on them.  However, he mentioned that in his experience, his patients who had distal RNY revisions achieved the same weight loss results with less risks and fewer complications than with the RNY-to-DS revisions.  Therefore, he no longer performs the complete DS revisions.  
-  Dr. Deveney in Oregon performs RNY-to-DS revisions, as well as more complicated revisions (such as a MGB-to-VSG revision in late 11/2007).  His office does not require potential revisions to attend the WLS informational seminars.
-  Dr. Peters in Pennsylvania does not perform RNY-to-DS revisions and does not intend to get involved in them.  However, he does perform GLB-to-DS revisions.  He appears to be very anti-GLB from what was reported on the DS board.
-  Dr. Elariney in Virginia performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to a member on the DS board.  Another member reported that he has a mortality rate of zero with revisions.
-  Dr. Antelmo Sasso Fin in Brazil does RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Ungson in Mexico performs RNY-to-DS revisions.  He also takes on cases considered too "complicated" or "high risk" by other surgeons.  Members have reported that he is considered one of the greatest DS surgeons.
-  Dr. Baltasar in Spain performs RNY-to-DS revisions and has trained Dr. Ungson.  One member on the DS board reported that he is one of the most experienced virgin DS and RNY-to-DS revision surgeons.  Plus, the same member reportedly paid $16K for the surgery plus $2K in traveling expenses in 2005 (the cost may have gone up since then).

A number of members reported on the DS board that DS surgeons in California may charge upfront fees of $4K-$8K to cover services that are not reimbursed by insurance.  However, one member reported on the DS board that some of the fees may be refunded if insurance reimburses enough to cover them.

The following DS surgeons have no info pertaining to RNY-to-DS revisions
(source:
http://www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html):

-  Dr. Oakley in Idaho.
-  Dr. Edinger in Idaho.
-  Dr. Vanguri in Maryland.
-  Dr. Hares in Michigan.  (However, one member reported that he performs GLB-to-DS revision.)
-  Dr. Sudan in Nebraska.
-  Dr. Herron in NYC.
-  Dr. Kurian in NYC.
-  Dr. McMullen in NY.
-  Dr. Nicastro in NY.
-  Dr. Pomp in NYC.
-  Dr. Sparks in NY.
-  Dr. Voellinger in NC.
-  Dr. Thomford in Ohio.
-  Dr. Teel in Ohio.
-  Dr. Hoddinott in Pennsylvania.
-  Dr. Fichter in West Virginia.
-  Dr. Marchesini in Brazil.
-  Dr. Alcides Jose Branco Filho in Brazil.
-  Dr. Marco in Spain.

Initial research done by Karla H.
Source:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/karlahook/
Click on "September 2007" blog
Last updated 2/11/2008

If any of the foregone info is incorrect or outdated, then please respond to this message with a brief explanation of the correct or updated info.  Thank you.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

ginau
on 2/12/08 8:34 am - mesa, AZ
Now  dont forget our resident Dr Schlesinger in the house and posting  great educational infor for all of us !!  He is right here in georgeous Arizona !!! 
Vicki PNW
on 2/13/08 3:28 am
Hmmm...his name is not listed on the duodenalswitch.com website.  Has he done at least 100 DS (virgin/revison) operations to qualify for the listing? If he is very experienced in revisions as evidenced on his recent posts, then I would be very happy to add him to my list.  I can mention that he's also a forum leader for the Revision board.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

j. lynn
on 2/12/08 1:02 pm - NE
Dr. Anthone is doing my revision from band to DS.  I can confirm that.
Vicki PNW
on 2/13/08 3:35 am
Thank you. I have removed the "probably" word from my list. Thank you again.

Vicki

Debbie B.
on 2/28/08 1:25 pm - Santa Rosa, CA
You might add that Dr's Cirangle and Jossart, like Dr. Keshishian, charge an additional fee over and above insurance - $7,500.  I, myself, traveled the additional 5 hours to have my revision with Dr. K and was more than willing to pay $4,000 for the next two years of follow up.
Vicki PNW
on 2/29/08 1:06 am
Thank you, Debbie. The list has been updated to include the additional $7,500 fee over and above insurance info for both Drs. Cirangle and Jossart. Thank you again.

Vicki

Most Active