Revison due to Non Healing Ulcers?

laura1thebattle
on 2/6/08 1:08 pm - Winchester, VA
RNY on 12/21/05 with
I had my bypass surgery in Dec 2005.  I developed 3 large Ulcers within 7 months post op.  I have been treated with every Ulcer medicine and currently on a double dose of Prevacid.  I take Carafate 3 times a day.  These Ulcers are still there and very painful.  It hurts to eat, drink, breath and talk.  After about 18 months I can hardly stand it. I lost 160 pounds with in 12 months and have maintained, of course half the time I can not eat any soild foods.  I have been dehydrated at least 4 times, due to not being able to eat or drink without being in pain.  I was in the hospital 2 of those times for dehydration.   Anyway, my question is, Has anyone else gone through a similar experience? My doctor said that I have 2 choices.  Have a Revision Surgery or Reverse the Gastric Bypass Surgery.  I have told him I will live off of protein drinks, eggs and pudding before I give the ok to Reverse the surgery.   I lived for over 25 years overweight and unhealthy. I want to give this surgery time to get straightened out. It is hard as the pain from the Ulcers is soooo bad. Any advise will be read and I will take all the Prayers you can give. Blessings,  Laura-hopefully winning the battle.
Gayle C.
on 2/7/08 9:57 am - Loveland, OH
Laura, I also had 3 large bleeding ulcers, first time bleeding in ICU for 2 days with 2 units blood, 2nd time was just 6 days later, in which 1 of the largest ulcers became deeper and vessel became exposed and rapidly pumped out the blood. On my second admission I had to go by squad, and was in ICU 5 days 2 more on a floor and 6 units of blood. Not all GI doctors use the same medications, but mind was insistant on me going home on Zegrid which is mixed with water making it a slurry. This seemed to work well for me. After 8 weeks of that medication I was put on Prevacid and carafate liquid this seemed work. I caused my ulcers with taking NSAIDs (advil, ect) I also had taken a very small dose but I do have a family history of ulcers. I now list NSAIDs as a allergy and avoid like the plague.  My doctor also told me if things did not heal I would be looking at  sending me back for a revision but not reversal. Are you sure that some of pain is not gallbladder stones, that was my next event. I hope this helps, hang in there and work with your doctor, by the way my insurance fought hard in not wanting me to be on Zegrid, but my doctor fought back and said " do you to pay for a surgery and another ICU round" then they saw it his way. Keep me informed
laura1thebattle
on 2/9/08 12:35 am - Winchester, VA
RNY on 12/21/05 with
Gayle, Thanks for you reply.  My ulcers have not gotten to the point were they are bleeding.  I guess that is a good thing.  I just get so tired of not being able to eat solid foods and the pain takes my breath away.  I had my gallbladder removed about 6 months after the WLS.   This pain is Ulcers.  It is like having someone give you and Indian Burn in the pouch, which by the way is still very small after 2 years.  I am one of those 1 in a million cases.  My doctor said I was not one of a few but, one of only one.  He has never had a person that the ulcers have not healed. I am just so tired of being sick, in pain and tired all the time.  I want to be fixed so I can get on with my life.  I fear even thinking of going on a vacation for fear something would happen and I would be too far away from my doctor to get help. I find myself questioning as to whether this surgery was worth it.  I used to tell everyone, even strangers, about the surgery and it's success.  Now, I keep it to myself.   Anyway, let me stop crying on your shoulder.  Thanks for listening. Keep me in yours prayers. Laura
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/08 8:17 pm - TX

It sounds so horrible and painful.  I'm sorry for what you're going through.  I know a woman who had a DS because of her bleeding ulcers and the probability of her stomach becoming cancerous because of the condition she was in.  She was obese, so she really got a two fer!

You might want to talk to a surgeon about taking down the RNY(because of the inability to scope the blind stomach) and doing a vertical gastrectomy on you.

Good luck.

laura1thebattle
on 2/19/08 8:32 am - Winchester, VA
RNY on 12/21/05 with
Thanks, Starry I appreciate all the opions.  I have an appointment thursday to discuss the surgery on Feb 26.  I am trying to stay positive. Laura
missys_missing
on 2/19/08 2:20 am - bluffton, IN
im going through this now and my dr just told me i had 2 options also revision or reversal?im in so much pain im on carafate and prevacid too it hurts i cant eat so im home with a feeding tube iv for moment doing another scope thursday so i dont no?
missys_missing
on 2/19/08 2:22 am - bluffton, IN
well here i am too my ulcers are not healing either i have only 1 but it keeps getting bigger and bigger ? the pain is unbearable geesh so what is going on for you?
laura1thebattle
on 2/19/08 8:29 am - Winchester, VA
RNY on 12/21/05 with
Missy, I am so sorry you are going through the ucler ordeal.  I will say a prayer for you, . Today, I have not felt too bad.  But, I just ate and the bloating has already started.  Then when I try to drink that is when the sharp pains come.   How long have you had the ulcer?  I see you just had the bypass surgery last year.  How much weight have you lost?  I think around 6 months out is when they found my ulcers.  They were, are, wrapped around the site where the doctor hooked up the pouch and bowel.  I have had 6 EDG's, in the hospital 2 times for dehydration, and off work now for the second time just for the pain. I would not wish an ucler on anyone.  I have a doctors appointment on thursday.  I have so many questions for him.  I trust him to do the surgery the best he can.  I know there are some things I would do different with the revision surgery. Well, don't want to worry you.  So, sorry to hear you have to have a feeding tube.  I have gotten very dehydrated but, thank the Lord, not enough to have a feeding tube.  Again, I will keep you in my prayers.   I have surgery date of 2 26 for the revision.  Please keep me in your prayers also. Laura
missys_missing
on 2/19/08 10:05 am - bluffton, IN
you sound alot like me im always dehydrated low potassium my ulcer was dected in november 3 months after my rny-it just keeps growing my last scope it went from 10 mm to 16 mm in 2 weeks im having another scope this thursday the dr told me if its not better i have 2 options reversal or a new pouch? are you getting a new pouch?  im not real familiar with what the revision is? i defintly will keep you in my prayers because im telling you i feel your pain my pain level usually stays about a 6 but has gotten to a 9 a few times and needed a pain shot because pills were not helping the pain at all-they are very very painful i have lost 110 pounds so far my beging weight was 255  yes im on the feeding tube because im not able to eat but 2 bites and im in severe pain so i became severly malnurished-im so ready to get this taken care of the pain is unbearable and i feel like crap every day no energy its unreal-i cant be feeling like this every day because im a mother of 4 kids -take care and ill be thinking of you and praying for you
laura1thebattle
on 2/20/08 5:24 am - Winchester, VA
RNY on 12/21/05 with
Prayers are coming your way.  I feel bad complaining now.  I know the pain levels you are talking about.  I can get about 4-6 bites in before the pain starts.   I just talked with my doctor today and he now wants to cancel the surgery and start me on a antibiotic pack for H-Pylori bateria, even though the biospy showed it to be negative.  He is treating another patient that got ulcers 4-5 months out and she just finished her medicine pack and when they did the EDG her ulcers were healed.   Now I have to go through another 6-8 weeks of medicine, bland diet, extra protein drinks, and trying to stay sane.  I am very disappointed but, I guess I need to try everything before getting the surgery.  My doctor told me that the chance of having leaking and ulcers after revision is up to 10% VS the first surgery which was a 1% chance.    You may want to ask your doctor about this antibiotic pack for H-Pylori bacteria to see if he thinks this might help you.   I am just so thankful to meet you.  I thought I was the only one going through this ordeal.  Most of the research I have found on the web are revision surgery for people that have gained back the weight or stopped losing.  It is so difficult to understand the ulcer side of the complications. I go to the doctor tomorrow to get the medicine and he has scheduled an Upper GI for 2-26 instead of the surgery.  He wants to watch the Barium, YUCK, as it goes through the pouch.   Let me ask you, before I go, when you were able to put liquids in did you feel full for hours?   There are so many quetions I could ask but, I am sure you feel bad.  I will keep you in my prayers and good luck. Laura
Most Active