How much overweight does one have to be

WestchesterCounty
on 2/5/08 1:13 am
Hello everybody! Newbie here!   I saw an ad in my local Sunday paper for StomaphyX Incisionless surgery and there's a "meeting" or "seminar" tomorrow.  I phoned and asked and didn't get a straight answer.  Does one have to be a certain amount overweight to be considered?  I'm 5'4 and 185 BMI 32 Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 5:32 am
I'm not sure if there is a certain minimum BMI you have to be, but at a BMI of 32 they will do it.  Good luck!!
ginau
on 2/5/08 8:22 am - mesa, AZ
this procedure is more for people who already had  gastric bypass surgery - it pleats the new stomach pouch to shrink it down  and narrows the stoma - so you get a slower drain to intestines !
WestchesterCounty
on 2/5/08 6:15 pm
Thank you lullaby123 and ginau for your responses!  ginau, I didn't know that this procedure is more for people who already had  gastric bypass surgery.  Again when I phoned, the person on the other end was very vague or just wanted me to show up for the seminar. 
JROLFSON
on 2/5/08 11:17 pm - St. George, UT
Welcome Newbie: First of all have you ever had a WLS before? Stomaphyx is primarily for past RNY Gastric Bypass Patients who have Stoma's or Pouch's that have streched. I have heard that they will be developing possibly in the future a procedure such as Stomaphyx for Virgin Stomachs although as yet I don't know if it is being done. If you read on Dr. Schlessinger's post here on the Revision site he answers many questions and I would says is an accomplished authority on both 1st time and Revision Surgeries. So if you have never had surgery for Weight Loss before I would check into all the different procedures because I'm not sure your BMI is quite high enough for a Weight Loss procedure. But there are many possibilities such as: Lap Band Rny Gastric Bypass DS VSG Check them all out. If you have had previous WLS then your in the right place to find out everything  you need to know. Just keep asking questions and people will answer. Good Luck JR
Most Active