New clinical study that sutures both pouch & stoma

Betsy C.
on 2/1/08 12:27 am - Efland, NC
Tami - It's a shame that they're doing it that way.   But I guess they assume most people have insurance which would cover those tests.  I hope you find another avenue, but without insurance, or ability to self-pay, even a revision would be out for you. Sorry :-( Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

RiverQueen
on 2/1/08 2:46 am - IA
The cordinator from MI emailed me this morning and said there is a huge list of people wanting in this trial there..........seems like the lists are long at all the places......maybe we shouldn't feel so bad for gaining.....seems there are a lot of us in the same boat :(
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/4/08 10:11 am - Knoxville, TN
I checked this out and didnt know you had posted about it ..I got an email today from Sarah Daniels at Mt Sinai in NY.  She asked a few questions and I answered ..I hope tha I meet the criteria ....Do you have any other info on this trial? Cheryl
Betsy C.
on 2/1/08 2:59 am - Efland, NC
Will you be able to get into the study there? Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03

RiverQueen
on 2/1/08 3:10 am - IA
I meet all the criteria to a T, but I live 6 hours away.........since there is a long list of people who want it and are probably more local, she said she would talk to the physician and get back to me.  I have no problems traveling the 6 hours back and forth.  She said she would let me know next week.  I had the RNY back in 2003............lost 140lbs and have now put back on close to 70lbs, my BMI is over 40 and I have co-morbids now that I didn't have before my first surgery (BP problems).  I will wait and see I guess.  Are you getting excited for your procedure?  Take Care
Betsy C.
on 2/4/08 7:07 pm - Efland, NC
I don't have any information on the "new" trial that I posted about.  I've been hoping that those who are contacting the coordinator will post information about it.  The only thing I know is what it says in the protocol (which I posted). Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03

Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/5/08 4:14 am - Knoxville, TN

Betsy

I just received an email from Sarah Daniels about the clinical trial ... I am copying the email here ...

Cheryl,

According to the information you have provided me you are indeed a potential candidate for the procedure. Just a heads up that participation in this study will require 6 trips in total to Mount Sinai: pre-operatively for a consultation with the bariatric surgeon, for the procedure, and for follow-up visits at 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months. If you would like to proceed, there are a couple of tests that are needed to verify your anatomy from your previous surgery including an upper endoscopy and upper GI series.  

An upper endoscopy, if you’ve never had one, involves a small tube going into your stomach through your mouth. You will be mildly sedated during the procedure and it is not painful. The purpose is to measure the size of your pouch and the connection between the pouch and the small intestine (anastomosis) to see if there have been changes that would warrant a surgical repair. Please make sure the gastroenterologist can measure both the size of the pouch and the anastamosis. This is necessary to determine if are a candidate.

You can have the upper GI series done at your local radiology center. Let me know if you need a prescription and we can send one to you.

When the results of both these tests are in, you can fax them to the attention of Angela Godwin, Dr. Herron’s nurse practitioner. The fax number is 212-722-2543. She will then be in contact with you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. We would be very excited to have you as a patient.

I am SOOOOOO excited now I gotta make sure my friends will let me stay with them while in NY ...and that I have the gas to get there ...which I WILL figure out a way. 

Betsy C.
on 2/5/08 4:27 am - Efland, NC
Cheryl - It is interesting that they make you get both the upper GI and the endoscopy.  I had to get the UGI, but then they did the endoscopy.  Everything from here on is covered by them.  I wonder why your study is different?  I also wonder if all the sites for that trial are that way.  But I'm glad you're getting the opportunity to participate.  Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03

Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/5/08 7:17 am - Knoxville, TN
I dont know if the other sites are the same ..I was hoping i could get closer because I do live in TN and it will be a struggle to get there 6 times ..maybe 5 if they will do the consultation and sugery in two consecutive days.  Not sure why they want me to have both but maybe cause I have insurance that might cover both .I have Cariten and Cigna .... am really nervous ...people say they support me but dont want me to be a guinea pig.  This whole thing makes me nervous but I Think it will be worth ...besides isnt everything a clinical trial at some point? Cheryl
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/6/08 11:23 pm - Knoxville, TN
Just an update..I have my appt for the Gastronologist on Tuesday morning ..and he will schedule the upper endoscopy and the upper GI Series.  I just wonder how long it will take to get the results back because I have to get it faxed to Dr Herron's Nurse Practioner.   DOes anyone know the approximate time FRAME for the results of these two tests?
Most Active