Approved for Revision!

SophieGrace
on 1/28/08 11:47 pm - IL

I just got word late yesterday that my revision surgery is approved. My insurance does not pay for WLS or revisions, but my situation was complicated enough and causing enough problems that they said yes. I was fully prepared to have to miss my surgery date and fight them in a legal channel (and had already been in touch with Walt Lindstrom at ObesityLaw.com.  But this is an unexpected blessing. To all those who are fighting for revision -- do not give up hope and do not take no for an answer.  Tell your surgeon if your insurance is refusing to pay; sometimes the coding of the procedure can make a difference.  In my case, the complications were serious enough that it didn't matter what caused them -- I needed to have it fixed.  But the initial requirements they wanted included FIVE YEARS of weight loss attempts  -- this is hilarious since my staple-line disruption and weight regain didn't happen until June of 2005.   Please keep me in your prayers as I go to NYC alone and have this surgery! Thanks so much.

happy girl
on 1/28/08 11:55 pm
congratulations!!! Sophie, I am so happy for you.  that is such good news.   way to go girlfriend!!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

SophieGrace
on 1/29/08 12:18 am - IL
Thank you so much, reese! Scared but happy.
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/08 1:24 am
I'm very happy for you SophieGrace!  Do you know yet what kind of revision you're having (distal, DS, etc?)   Keep us posted when you get a date!
SophieGrace
on 1/29/08 2:39 am - IL
Primarily the surgeon will be fixing the disrupted staple line, pulling out old staples and sutures that are a mess, fixing the hiatal hernia, the partial formation of the fistula, and any other nonsense he finds in there. I'm going to ask him to bypass a little more -- we'll see what he says.
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/08 2:20 am - Brampton, Canada
Congratulations!  I had a revision to Lapband 21 months ago after having had VBG 21 yrs ago.  I am so glad I had a revision and wish you all the best on whatever type of revision you are having.
SophieGrace
on 1/29/08 2:40 am - IL
Thanks, Donna! I appreciate the encouraging words. Thanks to everyone!  Please say a quick prayer for me -- I'm scared half to death but I want this done and over with so I can resume a healthy life without GERD and ulcers, as well as getting back closer to fighting weight.
mjc123
on 1/29/08 10:06 am - Midlothian, VA

Congrats Sophie!!

Revision Weight Loss Tracker  Mary  

karyn36
on 1/29/08 10:23 am - Corbin , KY

I am also trying to have a revision. I lost aprrox. 80-85 lbs and have gained all but like 30 lbs back. Coming to find out,over half of his patients had to have a revision done. I am hoping someone who lives in Kentucky can tell me who a good doctor is to talk to about it. I am a nursing student and it is so hard on my legs,ankles and back to carry this weight around while do clinicals. i wish you the best of luck and let me know if you have the revision done and how it went for ya.  Karen

karyn36
on 1/29/08 10:24 am - Corbin , KY

Congrats Sophie. I know you don't know me but I am also looking into having a revision done. At the time I had the gastric bypass I had Bluegrass Family Medical and now that I am a nursing student and single mom of three, i have a medicaid and I am not sure if they will pay to have a revision done or not but lets hope so.I lost approx 80-85 lbs and have gained all but 30 lbs back and I had it done in January 2002. My legs,ankles and back are killing me and I have absol. no energy because my doctor said she thought that I may have sleep apnea so I have to be checked for that now. So what problems did you have that made them pay for your revision? What insurance do you have? Well good luck and I hope to hear from you soon. My prayers are with you. Karen

Most Active