Help with my Revision...

Lori V.
on 1/15/08 6:13 am - Spokane, WA
Hello,     I had a revision from RNY to DS. The surgeon did not alter my RNY stomach, just the intestines. It was in good shape and I still had a small pouch. I lost about 63 pounds. I am happy to weight 63 pounds less, but I had hoped to get down to a much smaller size. I knew it would be slow. I stopped losing about the 5th month after surgery.     I have heard from some that due to the fact that only the intestines been altered, I may be much more like a RNY distal. Is there anyone on the board who had a RNY Distal? If so could you please share with me what you eat, how you eat. What should be avoided and such. I do know that I am not successfully losig weight now, so I would like to see some new ideas and options.  Thank you,  
 "Loss is nothing else but change, and change is nature's delight"  I wish you all great delight,
Lori V

JRinAZ
on 1/15/08 9:28 am - Layton, UT
Hey Lori, If your surgeon didn't alter your pouch and didn't hook you back up to your stomach; using your pyloric valve, etc.(I'm not a DS expert)  then you are NOT DS but are in fact an Rny who has been revised from Proximal to Distal.  So, you are not kind of like an RNY distal.  You ARE an Rny Distal......unless I missed something? That's not a bad thing....we do have the same lower plumbing as the DS'ers but have to work  little harder to maintain our labs.  We malabsorp a bunch more vites than they do.  ....Since Rny's and Ds'ers both absorb every bit of sugar; having an RNY Distal may be of benefit to you if you still dump.  That gives us pause to reconsider the sweets!  LOL!  ....Congrats on losing 63 pounds.  Did you change eating patterns around your 5th month to slow things down or do you think your body just learned to compensate?  I know that pretty much all the weight loss surgeries can work (if plumbing is all done correctly) if we focus on lean protein as our main source, stay away from grazing and simple carbs and don't drink calories.  Focus on the basics for a while and see if it makes a difference?  If you still have a pouch then you still need to stop drinking before eating and wait at least 30 minutes afterwards before drinking again so you don't push your meal through to early.  It gives you satiety longer if you wait. I'm a newly revised Rny Distal and am still learning the ropes.  Right now my focus is on eating very very bland stuff so that the new gassies don't overtake my neighborhood!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

AphY Girl
on 1/17/08 12:23 am
Try some of the food ideas you can find on   www.5daypouchtest.com they are very very high in protien and taste great! I have not been revised but I DO think I need to... however, I have been following the program an in a week I have lost 13lbs.
Most Active