Revision - Now it's MY fault

Ejohnson0721
on 1/14/08 2:34 pm - Riverdale, IL
Hello all. I am relatively new to OH, however I am already finding the information listed extremely helpful.  I had RNY surgery in 1999 and went from 306 pounds down to 220 pounds.  The weight loss ceased at that point, was maintained for approximately 3 years and has slowly been increasing from year to year.  I have now reached a weight of 256 pounds and I'm completely devestated.  BTC was where I originally had my surgery - now from what I have learned - all the instructions they gave me were incorrect.  I was told that I would never face this situation again, yet here I am... feeling like a failure...feeling like even revisions are pointless.   Anyhow, the point of my raving - I went to see my first dr today for possible revision surgery.  He is suggesting the lap band over the pouch (which I do not want - I prefer the DS).  In speaking with him I was made to feel like the weight gain was my fault and that I force myself to overeat (or eat the wrong foods) because psychologically I cannot deal with eating less.  Now I could probably say that would be a struggle for someone just going through the surgery or being 1 - 2 years post op - but COME ON!!!  It's been 9 years!  This is not a psychological issue.  I am not crazy, nor am I having a hard time dealing with the restrictions of surgery.  I was counting on the restrictions - it's just the restrictions have failed me.   I was wondering if anyone had references for IL doctors that would consider do a revision from RNY to DS and what your experience has been.  I won't limit myself to just IL doctors and am willing to travel to surrounding states if necessary.  Please help.  This is my first go round at this... and it is discouraging already. Thanks for listening. Ebony
darnell239
on 1/14/08 7:52 pm - Columbia, SC
Ebony, If you have not already done so please post this concern on the DS forum.  You will find that they are very knowledgeable and will lead you in the right direction of where to find a revision doctor.  As for your original surgeon it is easy for him to place blame back on you.  It happens all the time.  Good luck.
HelperRV
on 1/15/08 5:03 am
gained all my weight back plus 10 pounds after RnY. Had a revision to a DS and haven't looked back since.
Ejohnson0721
on 1/15/08 9:28 am - Riverdale, IL
Thanks for replying...who did you go with for a revision to DS?
HelperRV
on 1/22/08 2:16 am
Dr. K in Delano. He was great.
SophieGrace
on 1/15/08 8:46 pm - IL
Hon:  Find another doctor. I was shamed and lectured by doctors for my weight gain.  As it turns out, I had staple-line disruption and it wasn't entirely my fault.  In seven years, I saw no fewer than seven doctors who all were at a loss to figure it all out. Get to a good surgeon.  Drive to Chicago to Rush Medical.  Dr. Madura there is a good surgeon.  I have an appointment with him later this month, in case my insurance says I have to go local (the surgeon I want is in NYC -- long story). Anyway, here ya go: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/IL/a,doclisting/type,Revis ion/
Tanya F.
on 1/16/08 5:03 am - Chicago, IL
I agree with the previous post.  I, too, received my surgery from Dr. Madura and he was wonderful!!! I have had no problems at all with my surgery and it is going on 5 years since I've had mine done. 
leslieanne729
on 1/16/08 10:57 pm
Im a revision to a DS from an RNY. I had gained all my weight back . My stoma was enlarged and the food flowed through so I was always hungry. Come over to the DS Forum you'll be HAPPY you did. Doctors are try to give people revisions with Lapbands over RNY or going Distal. They also been trying to sell Stomaphyx or Restore. The results havent been so good and insurance doesn't cover if your gonna revise go DS !! COME TO THE DARK SIDE WE HAVE COOKIES !!
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/08 11:02 pm, edited 1/16/08 11:03 pm
Just an FYI leslieanne...RESTORe is currently in a clinical trial so there are no results available yet.  Also because it's currently being researched it's free for those who qualify.  It's working so far for me and I hope the results end up being favorable for others who have had it done.
Ambitious
on 1/18/08 4:16 am - Havertown, PA

Ebony, I am sorry the doctors tried to make it seems as though your weight gain was your fault. The truth is I think it comes down to this, RNY I believe works for some people and not for others. I don't think it worked for me. I also thought that I was going crazy. I do wish I had researched more in the beginning and I would have had DS to start with but I didn't and there is no since crying over what's already been done. After this experience so far, I've learned to stick to your guns. The bottom line is whatever the outcome you have to be the one to live with it. I'm not excited about having another major surgery therefore if I do under again it will be for a revision to DS. I'm not going for the lapband over my RNY--you gotta be kiding me! Perhaps for some it works but I'm not interested. Please keep in touch!

Most Active