Get pg or have revision first??

Chandra M.
on 1/13/08 10:19 pm - Coweta, OK
Okay I need some input.  I have had two babies since my RNY (Sept. 11, 2001).  For my first pg I started it already over my lowest weight, started 185.  My lowest weight was 171.  I had my daugter in May 05 weighing in at that time around 220.  I lost a bit, but then gained it back plus more.. Then got pg with my son and had him in Feb. 07 and at the time I had him weighed 265.. AHHHHH  Since then I have gone up even more to 290! :-(   I really love a revision, but I do know that without a doubt I do still want one more child.. SOOOOO would you advise h aving  that last child now even though I am so overweight and so uncomfortable (have large Hernia too)... or would you recommend get the revision and waiting the alloted time before getting pg again.. Another thing that sort of plays into this is that I am not gettting any younger, I am 36 right now..  Thank you for any advice..  Chandra, mom to Angel Sarah forever 5, Noah 9, Jonah 7, Hannah 2 1/2 Luke soon to be 1!! http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/myangelsarah
happy girl
on 1/14/08 12:00 am, edited 1/14/08 12:00 am
If it were me, I would wait.  You will have a much healthier pregnancy at a lower weight...consider what you weigh now, plus whatever you will gain with the pregnancy, that will make your revision a lot more difficult too.    How long do you think it will be before your revision?  Are you thinking 6 months or will it be 18 months?  Because after surgery you really should wait 12-18 months, and my doctor told me revisions typically lose slower and if I wanted a baby, to wait 18-24 months...What does your surgeon say about post op pregnancy? So if your surgery is 6mths away and you wait 12 mths to get preg and you get pregnant straight away, you could be almost 39 when you deliver..depending on your birthday I really don't think I am much help..sorry about that.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

darnell239
on 1/14/08 1:00 am - Columbia, SC
Chandra, Honestly, I think you should go ahead have that last child before the revision.  My rational for that is this:  1) As you stated prior you are not getting any younger.  2) if you have the revision first you will need to wait at least 2 years before trying to get pregnant.  3) Throw in the fact you may have to fight your insurance and your doctor may have you start like a new patient by having to attend classes and medical evaluation done.  That is usually a 3-6 months process prior to having surgery.  4) If you have your baby after revision you will have to work on trying to loose the post baby weight.  So have the baby and concentrate on trying to have a healthy pregnancy.  Plenty of overweight people have healthy pregnancies.  After that concentrate on your revision.  I hope this advice has proved helpful.
Chandra M.
on 1/14/08 1:57 am - Coweta, OK
Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my quesiton.  I appreciate your input so much.  I kind of thought the same, but then the thought of a "thin pg" sounded so appealing. lol  My husband is also thinking we should go ahead with getting pg and thus be done with that part of our life.. :-(  I love being pg, but this will definately be our last.  I guess also it has always been pretty easy getting pg, but if we wait that may change as my hormones and age change.  Anyways, thank you thank you!! Chandra
Most Active