Restore trial!!!

1bdmtha
on 1/11/08 12:55 am - Ironton, OH
I emailed for info on the restore trial last night, and wow they emailed me this a.m. and my info was forwarded to the person "Sydney" in Cleveland.... I am very hopeful!!!! I had open rny 4-18-01, my starting weight was around 311 lbs and my lowest was around 165 lbs then I started gaining now I fluctuate around 200 - 210 lbs... I am really having a hard time... i can eant anything, sugar is a major weekness, I graze on it all day, I am now on day one of 5dpt (doing ok). Now I have a question about smoking,  on the trial sight it said that if you have recently stopped smoking or plan to stop you do not qualify, I am a smoker, will this disqualify me?  I haven't stopped recently and I do not plan on stopping any time soon (tried a year ago and geez the constipation really got to me...).  Also I live approx 5 hrs away, how are they on setting up appointments.... I am really excited about this.... I am willing to follow what they tell me to so that if I get a SHAM I can have the real thing done!!! Thanks, Bonnie
happy girl
on 1/11/08 3:01 am
I don't know about being a smoker, but the nurse I saw said "they" were worried about weight gain after giving up smoking, so maybe if you are still smoking it will be ok .  All you can do is ask I guess  I am about 6 hours away from the site I am with, and they set everything up on consective days for me, and I stayed overnight in the area.  It's very worth it in my opinion, because as you said, in the end if you did get the sham, they'll do the procedure for you and really you will then have thad 12 months of good living, eating and medical follow-up.  Can't beat that. Good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

OriginallyfromMass
on 1/11/08 10:39 am - Providence, RI

I am new to the terms rose and resolve. What are they and where can I find additional information about them?

OFM

1bdmtha
on 1/11/08 11:19 am - Ironton, OH
OFM, Here is a link to the trial pace for the restore...  http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00394212?recr=open&int r=%22gastric+bypass%22 This is the info that will tell you about the trial. I was really impressed with how quickly they responded, I am yet to here from the Study Coordinator in Cleveland but I just started the process last night and was informed today that my info was forwarded to her so I should here something next week... In the meantime I am doing the 5dpt and geeze louise,  I have barely made it thru day 1.... liquids all day and no sugar..... phwew.... boy was that hard, tomarrow will be harder cause I'm taking my son to the monster truck show and no snacking for me, think I'm gonna sneak in a protien shake to enjoy with the show, YUCK!!! Bonnie
harris72
on 1/17/08 7:27 pm
How did you get the actual contact number for the site?  I live close to St. Louis, and your link says that is a location, but no contact number.  I just logged back on to this website after 3 years, and was really excited to hear that there may be hope, after regaining quite a bit of weight.  Any info appreciated! J. Harris Missouri
wigglypoo
on 1/11/08 12:51 pm - Sturgis, MI
Hi ladies, I am signed up to go and talk and have my tests at CLEVELAND On Feb 5th. I am hopping that everything goes smoothly and that I am accepted. My original surgery wasn't without its faults, I am letting them know this all up front so, I will let you know anything I can after I know more.. Amy
Betsy C.
on 1/12/08 7:42 am - Efland, NC
I just returned from 3 days of assessments at Johns Hopkins (Baltimore) - psych eval, weight & nutrition counseling, and endoscopy.  I was really scared about the endoscopy, but they doped me up real good and I wasn't aware of anything until they woke me up when it was over.  It was a breeze.  The toughest part was putting the IV in my hand - whew that stung!  I live in NC, so I'm a 6-hour drive away.  That's why they scheduled all the assessments over the 3-day period.  The doc who did the endoscopy said he thought my stoma was sufficiently dialated to qualify for the study, but I won't know for certain until the end of next week.  I'm hoping, assuming I make it into the study, that the baseline visit ,which needs to be within a week prior to the procedure, can be scheduled a day prior to the procedure so that I don't have to drive up twice in a week.  I'll probably fly up for the 2 week follow-up, then drive up for the 3 month and 6 month follow-up visits.  I fully accept the possibility that I might get the "sham" procedure and not the real deal, but at least they will give me the option of having the real procedure after the 6 months is up.  I will post the results of the assessments once I have them. Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

katchal
on 1/13/08 6:09 am - Goodview, VA
Hi Betty, I have been anxiously waiting to see how your assessments went.  How was the psych visit and what types of questions did they ask you.  When did the doctor tell you about your stoma? Did you meet with the physician right after the endo or was this during the physician visit.  I am going up on Jan 23rd and am getting both excited and a little scared.  I have had an endo before but it is just the uncertainty of knowing whether you will make it to the next round.  Best of luck and keep us posted. Kathy
Betsy C.
on 1/13/08 7:27 am - Efland, NC
Kathy - The psych visit was a breeze.  First  you fill out a questionnaire.  Then the psychologist  asked me a series of questions, almost repeating the questions from the questionnaire, to basically determine if I hated myself, was I suicidal or ever had any suicidal thoughts, that type of thing.  She said as far as she was concerned, I passed the psych eval.  Then the next day I met with Dr. Lawrence Cheskin from Johns Hopkins Weight Management Clinic up in Lutherville and his dietician, Cynthia Findley.  Dr. Cheskin asked me a zillion background health questions, then gave me a physical exam, took my height and weighed (and told me my BMI is 30.8 so not to lose any weight before the procedure).  I also met with the dietician, Cynthia Findley, who went through the post-procedure diet I was to follow, and gave me a 3-day food log to complete and bring back to my next appointment with her (which will be the baseline appointment).  Then the next day I had the endoscopy at Johns Hopkins Bayview.  They gave me enough meds that I wasn't aware of anything until it was over.  At that point the doctor (who is not the doctor who will be doing the procedure) told me he felt my stoma was sufficiently dilated to qualify for the study, but that the results from all the assessments would be sent to the Mayo Clinic and a determination would be made as to whether or not I qualify.  I was told I should know in a week or so.   I'm not sure but I think the weight management clinic has offices at JH Bayview as well a****herville (which is on the north end of Baltimore about 1/2 hours drive from Johns Hopkins Bayview).  I think I've convinced Kamilah to let me do the baseline screening visit the day prior to surgery so I don't have to make two 6 hour trips up there within a week.  Hopefully by the time you go for your endoscopy, I should know whether I'm in the study.  Keep your fingers crossed! Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

NueBelieve
on 1/13/08 8:02 am - PA
I had my baseline appointment on 1/11 and my procedure is 1/18. During the week I am waiting I was given AcipHex 20mg to take 2 times a day. The Doc said it was something the study required. Then thursday I have to....in the morning and nite...take a colon cleanser and of course NO eating for 24 hours before the procedure. Good Luck to those who were accepted as well! :)
Most Active