Finally Called a Surgeon...

AphY Girl
on 1/8/08 4:51 am
Hi all... I have been lurking since I was pregnant with my now 9 month old daughter.  I had RNY 7/2002 and lost 200lbs.  After moving and having a tummy tuck in 11/2005 - I started to gain and now I have gained back about 100lbs... *SIGH* Anyhow, I finally called a surgeon this afternoon.  Dr. Procter in Gainsville GA and spoke with Amy.  She was so nice and actually wanted to know my story, gave me thoughts on what is wrong and what I might want to do in the mean time.  She is going to talk with the surgeons and get back to me later this week.  I hope they are willing to take my case on. Starting tomorrow.. i am going to try the 5 day pouch test and hopefully get a jump start.  I do think that I need a revision - as does she - but I figure this can't hurt and I need to get back on fitday.com and start tracking my eating habits again.  I got so discouraged and gave up... well I am pulling my reins in and going to give it the old college try! hugs, Emily
darnell239
on 1/8/08 6:16 am - Columbia, SC
Emily, First of all cute kids you have!  I feel your pain with this weight regain issue.  I am in the tedious process of a revision myself.  There are several options out there that might help you.  There is this new stomaphx procedure that you can find more info on this forum from reading throught the old post.  There is the lapband over the bypass or you could be bypassed more.  You and your surgeon will have to determine the best route for you.  Please keep this forum posted on what happens with you.
ALABAMA
on 1/8/08 7:35 am - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
I have read your post and I'm in the same boat.  I stopped loosing weight after 6 months @ only 68 lbs. and that was in 2000.  today I weight 247 lbs and I have a consult on thursday in ocala fla.  which dr. overcash . consult for a revision  for the rny I will let you know how it goes,  i live in stone mtn,ga.  my name is glenda
JRinAZ
on 1/8/08 7:56 am - Layton, UT
Hi Glenda, I just heard Dr. Overcash on a teleconference about Stomaphyx and Revisions.  It sounds like you will be in great hands!  I totally agree with his philosophy on helping correct bad surgeries regardless of how far out they are from their original ones.  In other words; there's no magic time period for a Revision and very few perfect pouches!  ....I love Dr. Schlesinger's motto that "everyone deserves a second chance"!  Good luck and keep us posted!  I am thrilled with my Revision so far and I'm still in the "ouch " stage of recovery!  LOL!   Take care, Joyce in AZ
Paula Prichard
on 1/8/08 11:58 am - Kingman, AZ
Hi, Joyce. Was your revision open or lap?

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
JRinAZ
on 1/8/08 12:25 pm - Layton, UT
Hi Paula! My Revision was open.  My original WLS was also open plus I've had Plastics, and 3 other surgeries.....soooooo......that all added up to lots of scar tissue.  In my case, the risk was greater to try lap.  Also, I was needing an exploratory of the bowel area.  ........ soooo......I'm cut straight down the middle once again!  ......  Ouch!  .........But, happy to have had it nonetheless!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ambitious
on 1/12/08 3:12 am - Havertown, PA
Joyce I hope you feel wonderfully! May I ask what type of revision you had?
JRinAZ
on 1/12/08 12:39 pm - Layton, UT
Hi Ambitious!  I"m feeling better!  Thanks for asking......I just have a bad habit of overdoing so need to lock myself to the easy chair for a few days to recoup!  LOL! My revision was a Proximal Rny to a Distal.  Since the first surgery was open and since I needed an exploratory bowel surgery; my revision was done open (big open!!!). I'm certainly not an expert in Distal's yet but if you have any questions, I may be able to point you in the right direction for some good answers.  I, in fact, popped into the DS board and asked for their advice on a few things.  DS'ers have a lot in common with Distals since we both have the same lower half plumbing.
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active