anyone go from lapband to RNY or sleeve?

NIKKI WATERS
on 1/7/08 9:39 am - GAINESVILLE, GA
I ave lapband now but so much trouble has gone on with it im serious thinking about going to rny or sleeve, and its not problems with my body just the band leaking and all, and now i have to have surgery again and honestly im seriously just thinking about going with the rny.... if u did switch what all process did u have to go through?? right now im 5'3 and weight 226 lbs started at 270 and have had this band for a little over a year and a half....i truly believe there is a surgery for everyone..and this one just isnt for me!
Michelle D.
on 1/7/08 10:52 am - Keno, OR
VSG on 06/18/07 with
I have not had a revision...with that being said I have read the posts and blogs of MANY people who have revised from Band to Sleeve.  I agree with you that the time may have come for you to consider another wls, since you are at the magic number of months  that most Dr.'s agree you should have lost all your excess weight.  You should do some serious research on the VSG (sleeve) as there is none of the aftercare required such as you have been dealing with.  Most VSGers have very little if any side effects from the surgery and all of the banders to sleeve that I have spoke with have been very pleased. The LPN who coordinates for my bariatric surgeon had a band and was unable to lose all her weight and she also had many other issues with the band, I know she has been pleased with her VSG.  Sorry I do not have first hand experience with the revision, only research I and my VSG hubby did while deciding what was right for us. Good luck with your decision! Michelle in Oregon
ebony_teaches
on 1/8/08 2:00 am - Baker, LA
I had a revision from lapband to rny.  Read my blog.  My struggle with my band wa crazy.  I was banded 12/28/05 and weighed 292lbs.   I lost 20lbs the first year then moved back home. I didn't consider the fact that I would be moving so far away from my surgeon who banded me,making fills next to impossible. My sister was banded 3 months after me, so I started getting fills at her doc's office.  I FINALLY reached my sweet spot and began to lose.  I was 272lbs when I started getting my fills.  That was November of '06.  I got down to 232lbs with those fills but my band slipped  May of '07.  I had emergency surgery to reposition my band.  That was like starting all over again.  I had no restriction and ate everything in sight.  I was so depressed.  I went up to 262lbs.  I attempted to get fills and get back on track but my band just wasnt the same after the slip.  Either the fills would make me too tight or not tight enough.  I saw my sister's surgeon and he said that I would have been a better rny patient.  I got approved and had my revision surgery 12/17/07. I was 252lbs before my revision.  I am 22 days post op and I'm at 234lbs.  I'm glad I did it. Good luck with your decision.

Ebony_Teaches

highest life time weight 330lbs///  lowest life time weight without surgery 217lbs
weight pre band 292lbs ///  lowest weight with band 232lbs
pre op weight w/ gastric bypass 252lbs
current weight with RNY 195lbs

"Everything is possible for him who believes."   
Mark 9:23

LizMoore
on 1/8/08 9:29 am - San Diego, CA
I have had the band since 2004,,my insurance would approve the sleeve,,but I just got approved for the RNY...the Lapband isnt for everyone,,,I have had alot of problems with it since I got it,, Talk to your doctor about a revision..I'm having one,,so Im sure u can too :)
karyn36
on 1/9/08 8:41 am - Corbin , KY
I had the rny in 2002 and lost approx 70 lbss. I went from 250 to 180 and that was all. I myself am looking into a revision because even at that time I didn't lose the weight that my dr at the time thought I would lose. I now have gained 50 lbs back and I am hoping I can find a dr in my area that I can get to do the revision.I wanted to tell ya that I do know a lady that went from the lapband to rny and she did very well with it. I am sorry I don't know anyone that went to the sleeve. I hope all works out for ya. Karen
Gloria A.
on 1/13/08 4:24 pm - Federal Way, WA
Hi Nikki, I am 1 week out from my RNY revision (lap proximal) from the band.  I did quite well with the band .. was banded 12/2004 and lost about 100 lbs in 15 months with a 20lb bounce back, but then I started to have problems .. I went through a series of slight fills and unfills, but a barium swallow showed my stomach was moving over the band. I was unfilled and over the course of 1 year regained about 30 lbs.  Although I still retained a 50% loss, I was very unhappy and larger than I had planned with WLS.  Discussed options with my surgeon, who is a band advocate but does not believe in rebanding or revisions using the band once the stomach and band "fight".  In addition, I did not want to risk additional weight gain - diabetes runs in the family and I needed to get the weight off. So .. I opted for the RNY lap proximal and do not regret the decision.  I am very happy for people that have the band, have success and able to live with the device for many years.  After 3 years, my band and I were no longer compatible and a new treatment for my disease was necessary. Best wishes with your decision ..
KKennedy927
on 1/14/08 9:33 pm - Toledo, OH
Hi, I am scheduled tomorrow!!!!  I have had a band for exactly two years and lost about 30lbs only to put 50 back on.  My stomach is now overlapping my band and I can eat a side of beef if I wanted.  I was approved right away for RNY and I am having my revision tomorrow.  Can't wait, I'm hoping to be on the losers bench soon. Kim

80 lbs lost lots more to go....

Most Active