to all rny pts revisied to ds???????

joenanna07
on 1/6/08 11:33 am - TX
hello to all once again! i am really seeking a surgeon who does reviosions from rny to ds. i live in tx and know there isnt one here that has enough experience with this revision. so i would like to here from all of you guys out there no matter where you had to go! plz help trying to do my research. i had rny in 03 and havr gained 50lbs and dr said i needed a revision but he'll probably do the same type surgery and really don't want to go through this again!!!!!!! any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! thnx in advance
SophieGrace
on 1/7/08 3:41 am - IL
I don't know much about the revision from RNY to DS. I'm having a revision (pray to God that I get it -- insurance is saying no and I'm having to sue) of my RNY to revise the pouch and possibly bypass more intestines (proximal to distal).  A lot depends on what my surgeon finds in there, because it's a total mess.  We can tell that much from the films and endoscopy, anyway. Whatever you learn, good luck!
Vicki PNW
on 1/7/08 6:44 am

List of DS Surgeons Doing Revisions

-  Dr. Warden in Louisiana has revised a lot of people who have failed RNY by making what is usually a large pouch into a small pouch and sometimes extending the limb length to increase malabsorption. -  Dr. Anthone in Nebraska stopped doing RNY-to-DS surgeries in 2006. -  Dr. Prachand in Chicago does RNY-to-DS revisions only if the BMI is over 50. -  Dr. Gagner in Florida (formerly NY) performs RNY-to-DS revisions.  Members have reported that he is one of the best! -  Dr. Alverdy in Illinois evaluates case-by-case but they are very selective. -  Dr. Inman in Indiana has only done 20 RNY-to-DS revisions (as of 9/2007). -  Dr. Lutrzykowski in Michigan wants RNY op reports before he decides if he will do revisions. -  Dr. Lane in Ohio usually does RNY-to-DS for those with higher BMI but determines on case-to-case basis. -  Dr. Anderson in Ohio does not do revisions. -  Dr. Peters in Pennsylvania does not do revisions. -  Dr. Shah in NYC does revisions on a case-to-case basis. -  Dr. Deveney in Oregon performs RNY-to-DS revisions. -  Dr. Husted in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions. -  Dr. Antelmo Sasso Fin in Brazil does RNY-to-DS revisions. -  Dr. Maguire in Ohio does not do RNY-to-DS revisions but does a distal RNY.  He told a member on the Revision board that he used to do the RNY-to-DS revisions for patients who insisted on them.  However, he mentioned that in his experience, his patients who had distal RNY revisions achieved the same weight loss results with less risks and fewer complications than with the RNY-to-DS revisions.  Therefore, he no longer performs the complete DS revisions.   -  Dr. Greenbaum in New Jersey has done 50 DS surgeries and 8 DS revisions (as of 9/2007). -  Dr. Roslin in New York does DS but when doing a revision from RNY, makes it a distal RNY.  But he does not do RNY-to-DS. -  Dr. Feng in California does not do RNY-to-DS revisions. -  Dr. Jossart in California has done 150 DS surgeries and has done many revisions (as of 9/2007). -  Dr. Schlosser in Minnesota is no longer working in Minnesota. She is overseas at the moment (9/2007) and will be for several months.  She is not returning to the state...no longer doing DS. -  Dr. Maynard in Georgia performs DS but in his response did not mention revisions.  Did encourage a member to attend seminar for more questions.  However, another member reported in 12/2007 that he does not do RNY-to-DS revisions. -  Dr. Smith in Georgia performs DS as well but it is unclear if he also does RNY-to-DS revisions.  One member thinks he does while another doesn't think so. -  Dr. Cirangle in California has performed hundreds of DS procedures, including revisions from RNY. -  Dr. Keshishian in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions.  However, he charges a $4K fee upfront for revisions that are not covered by insurance.  Plus, he requires his out-of-town patients to stay in a hotel for 10 days after being released from the hospital. -  Dr. Rabkin in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board. -  Dr. Buchwald in Minnesota performs DS; however, one member thinks he performs RNY-to-DS revisions. -  Dr. Hess in Ohio is retired now. -  Dr. Ungson in Mexico does RNY-to-DS revisions on a case-by-case basis. -  Dr. Inabnet in NY performs RNY-to-DS revisions and has performed hundreds of DS, according to a member on the DS board. -  Dr. Crookes in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.

A number of members reported on the DS board that DS surgeons in California may charge upfront fees of $4K-$8K to cover services that are not reimbursed by insurance.

The following DS surgeons have no info on performing RNY-to-DS revisions (source: http://www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html):

-  Dr. Oakley in Idaho. -  Dr. Edinger in Idaho. -  Dr. Schweitzer in Maryland. -  Dr. Vanguri in Maryland. -  Dr. Hares in Michigan. -  Dr. Sudan in Nebraska. -  Dr. Herron in NY. -  Dr. Kurian in NY. -  Dr. Nicastro in NY. -  Dr. McMullen in NY. -  Dr. Sparks in NY. -  Dr. Voellinger in NC. -  Dr. Thomford in Ohio. -  Dr. Teel in Ohio. -  Dr. Hoddinott in Pennsylvania. -  Dr. Elariney in Virginia. -  Dr. Fichter in West Virginia. -  Dr. Marchesini in Brazil. -  Dr. Alcides Jose Branco Filho in Brazil. -  Dr. Baltasar in Spain. -  Dr. Marco in Spain.

Initial research done by Karla H. Source: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/karlahook/ Click on "September 2007" blog Hope this helps!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

happy girl
on 1/7/08 9:37 am
Dr Buchwald most definitely does the RNY to DS revision

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Vicki PNW
on 1/7/08 9:51 am
Thank you for the info.  I will update my list.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Valerie G.
on 1/11/08 9:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Snaps to you, Vicki.  That's an awesome list!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Vicki PNW
on 1/12/08 8:44 am
Thank you, Val!

Vicki

Nurse Spencer03
on 1/9/08 8:12 pm - spring, TX
Hello I am here in houston texas and had a revision from RNY to DS in March 2006 My surgeaon was adam naaman, but he retired on nov 1 2007 but I am going to see a new phyican today actually to continiue to follow me Dr. Wison in the medical center. youmight wantto look him up, he also performs the stomaphyx  good  look if  u have any questions shot me an email will be glad help
leslieanne729
on 1/9/08 8:36 pm
Go hang out on the DS Forum for a couple of days youll see & hear all the info youll need . I  just was revised to the DS on 10/22/07 I'm really happy with the weightloss
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
Most Active