Home from Revision

JROLFSON
on 1/29/08 5:50 am - St. George, UT

Hi Joyce: Janie here, I am so happy for you and your revision. It sounds as if you are doing so good...You were on the computer the day you came home from surgery, what an inspiration you truly are. I emailed you on your personal profile...I haven't posted here since November, my Mother passed away and there has been much to deal with. In your post to I'm So Tired: you talk about the pain you dealt with for about 3 years and how it escalated to 2-5 times a week. Can you tell me a little about that? And what was it that the Dr's. did in your revision that fixed that, other than your distal portion of the surgery.

I have experienced for many years over 10 years actually, several bouts of severe pain that lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. The pain is so severe that it doesn't leave until I vomit at least once or twice.

I can tell when it's going to come on and I can tell if it's going away and not coming back. It feels as if my intestines are being tied in a knot. It sounds and feels as if it could be related to a obstruction, I have been to Dr's for it before but they found nothing. I even had endoscopy and they found nothing which makes sense if it was intestines that are twisted and that is exactly what it feels like. I not sure but maybe I am experiencing what you did. I always can expect to get an attack whenever I take any kind of pain medication associated with codeine, also if I haven't had a regular bowel movement, or drinking soft drinks to fast. Whatever you can tell me about your problem would be most helpful. DId anything you did in particular bring it on that you can remember? Again, I'm so happy for you and did they fix the other problem with the pain? Get well soon and hope to hear from you. Janie Rolfson

JRinAZ
on 1/30/08 4:17 am - Layton, UT
Hey Janie! It sounds like you need to have some diagnostic testing done!  Ouch!  Your symptoms sound similar to mine ..... Here's some info that can give you a heads up if you're headed towards a partial or full bowel obstruction.  

The patient may exhibit symptoms similar to constipation or present with symptoms unrelated to the gastrointestinal system. If the impaction presses on the sacral nerves, the patient may experience back pain. If the impaction presses on the ureters, bladder, or urethra, urinary symptoms can develop. These symptoms include increased or decreased frequency or urgency of urination, or urinary retention.

When abdominal distention occurs, movement of the diaphragm is compromised, leading to insufficient aeration with subsequent hypoxia and left ventricular dysfunction. Hypoxia can, in turn, precipitate angina or tachycardia. If the vasovagal response is stimulated by the pressure of impaction, the patient may become dizzy and hypotensive.

Movement of stool around the impaction may result in diarrhea, which can be explosive. Coughing or activities that increase intra-abdominal pressure may cause leakage of stool. The leakage may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and dehydration and is virtually diagnostic of the condition. Thus, the patient with an impaction may present in an acutely confused and disoriented state, with signs of tachycardia, diaphoresis, fever, elevated or low blood pressure, and/or abdominal fullness or rigidity.  It turns out that my pain may have been from an undetected ulcer that was near the area reconnected.  The result has been that I have been without that same pain since the surgery!  Yahoooo!  I have been taking prilosec on a regular basis though as a precaution.  Have you tried that type of thing to see if it helps you?  .....  I too had my pain set off from certain meds and definitely from pain meds!  Try taking a prilosec WITH your foods or pills that trigger your pain? Good luck on your quest!!!  I certainly hope that this surgery does the trick......I know that the magic is only as good as our efforts behind it!!!! Keep in touch!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

IMSOTIRED
on 1/3/08 11:26 am
HOPE YOU ARE FEELING WELL!!! I HAD MY UPPER GI DONE TODAY BUT HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THE DOC YET ABOUT THE RESULTS. BUT I DID TALK TO THE NURSE AND SHE SAID IF THEIR IS PROBLEMS SHOWN AND I NEED THEM FIXED THEN THE INSURANCE WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE BUT SHE SAID I WOULD HAVE TO PAY 7,000 OUT OF POCKET FOR SOMETHING ABOUT THE SURGERY THAT IS NOT COVERED..... I DIDN'T REALLY UNDERSTAND BUT I FIGURE I WOULD GET MORE INTO DETAIL IF AND WHEN I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.................. IF ANYTHING............ I AM KINDA EXCITED IN A BAD WAY............ FIGURE ANOTHER CHANCE TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT....... I WISH I COULD JUST BE HAPPY WITH WHO I AM BUT I ALWAYS WANT MORE MORE MORE............ IT'S THE FAT GIRL IN ME OBSESSING ON THE WEIGHT LOSS.............. BUT I THINK I HAVE COME TO REALIZE THAT I WILL ALWAYS BE FAT IN MY HEAD...........BUT I THINK THAT IS NORMAL!! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND I HOPE YOU ARE HEALING WELL!!1
Most Active