Home from Revision

JRinAZ
on 12/28/07 3:17 am - Layton, UT
Hi all! Just wanted to let y'all know that I am safely through the first phase.......now the healing routine is ahead. I was revised on Weds aternoon from proximal to distal by Dr. Eric Schlesinger.  I'm still quite loopy but they let me out of the hospital last night since all my stats were good.  I'm on clears for 3 days and then to full liauids for a week. I will be ordering bigtime from vitalady.com so I can do my part in staying compliant and healthy! I hope Shawnta did well with her revision and best wishes to those who had their's earlier and have it scheduled soon!  I LOVE having a second chance!  I think there are a lot of naughty's that I will not get started this time around.....o.k. so I'm typing weith my eyes shut....pain meds are working....
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ALABAMA
on 12/28/07 3:35 am - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
you have done very well.  and home so soon I can't wait til I will be there too.  keep up the good work. glenda in ga.
babrewer
on 12/28/07 4:14 am - Midlothian, TX
Congrats!  It's wonderful that you have this second chance!  Take those vitamins and make those life style changes that go along with it! Congrats again! Sincerely, Barbara Brewer
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/07 4:27 am
Oh my goodness Joyce!!  I can't believe you're home already and on the computer!!  Thanks for letting us know that all went well and I hope you have a SPEEDY recovery.  I do believe you're thinner already!   
Suzanna N.
on 12/28/07 6:47 am - Ocala, FL

Glad your back! Now get lots of rest and get to healing! Yeah!!!!! Suz

candyshoe
on 12/28/07 1:01 pm - Kokomo, IN

Great job Joyce!  Glad to see you're home so early.  I take it you were very hydrated......unlike me. 

I went into the ER Christmas Eve with a BIG drainage problem, but am ok now.  It has stopped draining.  You evidently were doing really well to come home this soon!

Get those vitamins and liquids in and you'll be doing really great!  I don't know about you, but I'm really not hungry much and have trouble getting everything in.....I'm on soft/pureed foods now.  But at least we have a second chance at getting it right this time!!!

Good luck!

Candy

LosingSally
on 12/29/07 5:34 pm
Welcome home! How much were you bypassed , or were you given a short common channel similiar to a DS?
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/07 12:10 am - Brampton, Canada
Best wishes Joyce and recover well!  What a great start for the upcoming new year!
IMSOTIRED
on 1/1/08 10:55 am
I'M WONDER IF WE WENT THE SAME ROUTE. I HAD OPEN RNY ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND DID GREAT FOR A WHILE THEN AFTER FEELING NORMAL I QUIT EVERYTHING........ I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING FOR A WHILE NOW WITH NOT FEELING GOOD.....AND TRYING OTHER DIETS LIKE WEIGH****CHER AND OTHER DIET TACTICS NOT SO HEALTHY.......... I EAT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON NOW...........I WOULDN'T SAY THAT I CAN REALLY OVER EAT LIKE BEFORE SURGERY BUT MORE THAT I FEEL I SHOULD BE ABLE TO EAT. ANYWAY, I WENT TO MY FIRST POST-OP CHECK UP IN FOUR YEARS AND DOC PRETTY MUCH TOLD ME I HAVE SCREWED UP........... I HAVE GAINED BACK 20-30 LBS....... WHICH HAS PUT MY BMI AT ABOUT 27. THE DOC TOLD ME THAT HE THINKS THERE IS A LEAK TO TEAR OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT IN MY STAPLE LINE AND THAT HE ACTUALLY SEPARATES THE STOMACH NOW UNLIKE THE DOC THAT DID MY WHO  JUST STAPLED WHO HAS SINCE RETIRED ...........HE ORDER AN UPPER GI AND ANOTHER TEST FOR ME TO DO ON THURS........... NOW THAT I HAVE TOTALLY CONFUSED YOU I WAS CURIOUS ABOUT A FEW THINGS THAT MAYBE YOU CAN ANSWER FOR ME. HOW LIKELY IS IT THAT MY INSURANCE WILL COVER A REVISION WITH MY BMI NOT HIGH ENOUGH........... I NOTICE THAT YOU ARE AT A LOW WEIGHT.......... ALSO DO YOU THINK I WILL HAVE TO GET MY BLOOD WORK TO NORMAL BEFORE THEY WILL DO THIS...........B-12 DEFICIENT AND IRON TOO!!!   I KNOW YOU ARE NOT A DOC I JUST NEED TO ASK FROM SOMEONE WHO MAY BE GOING THROUGH THE SAME!! DID YOU GET SICK??? WHAT MADE YOU MAKE THE DECISION FOR A REVISION????  NOW THAT I HAVE WRITTEN YOU A CONFUSING BOOK............. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL AND FEELING GREAT SOON!!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!!!
JRinAZ
on 1/2/08 2:01 am - Layton, UT

Hi there I'm So Tired, It sounds like you've got a good doc that will be pro-active in getting you a revision if that's indeed what you need.  You will NOT get insurance coverage with a BMI of 27. 

Since you asked, I'll tell you my path (hopefully short version!  LOL!)  Open Prox Rny Feb of 03.  Got to goal in 8 months (lost 143 pounds).  Stayed at goal until 05 then added 5, then 10 and eventually was up 40 or so with a BMI of 28.  I was just getting set to have a stomaphyx when I had some pain that I'd experienced ovver the past 3 years escalate to severe and more lke 2 to 5 times a week.  I had the diagnostics done as well and they suspected a bowel blockage yet tests didn't indicate it was an emergency.  So, I scheduled my "Exploratory Surgery" (covered by insurance) with the Doctor who was going to do my stomaphyx since I'd been working with him already and he's a general surgeon as well.  I approached him about having the stomaphyx done at the same time to see if there would be a price break.  He said he wouldn't even be messing with my pouch but would I consider a revision to Distal.  I did some more research and had that added on to my already scheduled surgery.

I tell the whole shabang so that noone out here assumes that they might get their Revision covered if somone else did.  It obviously worked for me and I am soooooo grateful for the timing.  I needed my pain fixed, was looking for some help with the weight regain and was blessed to get both fixed at the same time.  So, if your surgeon finds a "medically necessary" reason to open you up for surgery then he/she may decide to include a Revision as part of that surgery.

I'm exactly one week out of surgery today.  I feel like I finally turned a corner and am doing better.  I've been on liquids and can add softs this week.  Since he didn't do anything with my pouch; I don't have to be in liquids as long as usual.  I'm still having a lot of drainage, some pain and some awful GAS!  Yikes!  I am trying out DEVROM (Anyone else triedthat?)  they are yummy banana flavored chews made for "inner deodorant".....some docs sell to their DS patients.  I'm down 12 pounds this week......which shocked me since I feel so swollen!!!!!  An unusually cold day for Phoenix else I'd try a lap at the park.

Good luck with your journey!!!! 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active