Revision Surgery!

BeachPat
on 12/26/07 5:37 pm

I had an appointment with Dr. ELinary in Vienna, VA  yesterday and he is going to be doing a Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD-DS)!  From my top weight of 338, I have had 2 revisions--the first  was an RYN in 1997 (lost 60 lbs.); the second was a staple line disruption repair in 2002 (lost another 40 lbs.)--(and then I had a failed Stomaphyx this summer as well!). Local surgeons do not want to operate on me (higher risk of complications, a lot of scar tissue, etc.). I found this message board and the DS board as well and starting researching.  Most surgeons do not perform the DS or any version of it and do not tell you about. I am convinced (through experience) it has better results than the traditional bypass, and I still have 100 lbs. to lose. Through these message boards, I found Dr. Elinary. We are now waiting on insurance approval, as he is not on my provider list, so I am anxious about that...but I am SO happy that the surgeon has agreed to operate. (I was basically told by other doctors that I should be happy with the 100 lb. loss and that there was nothing else they could do for me.) I want to thank the members of this message board for all the info I have received (and I will asking a LOT of questions in the future!). You have helped give me hope again....

RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

BeachPat
on 12/26/07 5:37 pm
correction: the RNY in 1997 was my original operation, not a revision
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

Shawnta H.
on 12/29/07 11:38 pm - Ellicott City, MD
Good Luck Pat!!! I also consulted with Dr. Elariny when I was considering a RNY to DS revision.  Unfortunately I have BCBS and apparently their payment for the DS is really low because Dr. E as well as a few others will not do the procedure in network for BCBS patients.  Other than that I really liked Dr. E and I was actually referred to him by Dr. Maguire who ultimately did my proximal to distal revision last Wednesday.  Dr. Maguire describes Dr. E as innovator and an excellent surgeon so I think you will be in good hands. Good Luck Shawnta
BeachPat
on 12/30/07 6:25 am
Thanks, Shawnta, and congratulations on your surgery last week! How are you feeling?

KRWaters
on 12/27/07 2:48 am - Manteca, CA
Hi Pat, so what happened with the stomaphyx? I had been checking that out to have done when I found the DS forum and decided to go with something tried and true. The stomaphyx did not work at all or what?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/07 3:55 am - Brampton, Canada
Best wishes Pat with this upcoming revision.
Suzanna N.
on 12/27/07 9:17 am - Ocala, FL
Pat, Congratulations! I know you have really been struggling with getting this fixed once and for all. I am glad to hear the news. I hope this is the one that gets it right for you. Best of luck to you. Suz
Kaargo
on 12/28/07 6:26 am - CA
BeachPat
on 12/30/07 6:43 am
Kaargo, I am having the BPD-DS surgery done laproscopically. In my case, since I had the StomaphyX this summer, he is not touching my pouch; it is small enough already.

Suzanna N.
on 12/31/07 1:36 am - Ocala, FL

Kaargo,

Talk to "starry1st" on the DS board. She has had a full takedown revision from the RNY to the DS. She can answer your questions. Suz

Most Active